Author Topic: Termites - were you successful with a DIY solution?  (Read 2108 times)

Offline oldnslo

Termites - were you successful with a DIY solution?
« on: January 29, 2021, 09:27:05 AM »
I'm not seeing that we have discussed this topic here. I've done some internet searching and am seeing all the "remedies" noted, but the overshadowing tone is call a professional.

Has anyone been successful with eliminating termites with your DIY solution?

Offline bonneyman

Re: Termites - were you successful with a DIY solution?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 09:36:46 AM »
Ants, bees, and wasps - yeah. I've not seen any DIY termite remedies.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 12:35:19 PM »
Tons of remedies available out there to be found, however I am focused on personal experience with a successful outcome.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 01:42:33 PM »
Call a professional as they are licensed to use the good insecticide that you can't get. As far as I know that is the effective way and the route we took and you have a record of the proper work being done if it is a building you own and ever have to sell.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 01:53:02 PM »
Inspection company #1 has already been here, assessed and quoted. #2 arrives in a hour. Fortunately I believe I caught them in time and can stem the very-very minor damage. In my case it was evident with mud tubes up a foundation.

Those lil f'ers can rebuild tubes fast for being small and blind. Now, if I can only get them to be oldnslo, however thats for another story.  ;)

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 03:15:49 PM »
The old and outlawed material was called Chlordane.  It lasted in the ground for about 30 years, but because there were a few reported people who were bothered by it and because it was long term in the ground it was outlawed.  It was followed by Durasbane.  It was short term in the ground as it was water soluble, and in a new house I had treated by a professional it only lasted about three years.  I finally went to "Centricon" which is a system of placing small pieces of wood in a container in the ground around the house and checking them frequently and then using bait in them that when carried back to the nest kills them.  This system and others like it are installed by a professional. On the other hand if you are one of the lucky few who still own some Chlordane I believe it is legal to apply it yourself.  Termites are not something to play around with, as having a professional termite contract on a house at time of sale makes everything easier.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 04:36:01 PM »
I've used Tim-Bor on all my rentals Cheap, easy and non-toxic. Anytime I do any work o a structure and open up wall cavities it gets coated good with Tim-Bor spray before going back together. never had any come back.

you can buy professional products over the web. I buy from these guys

https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/tim-bor-professional-insecticide

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 05:44:50 PM »
Bidding vendor #2 just left the house. I'm breathing easier with their price, vs #1. I have one more suitor which we'll call #3 and am awaiting a call from them. My daughter used #3 on their house with success.

I'll call this case closed, and I'll be going down the professional road. I can cut, grind, paint, chip, weld, solder and slap Bondo with the best of them, and I'm known to be pretty heavy handed with bees and wasps (100% success, zero stings), but F'ing wood chewers get the professional boot from the old man.

:106:

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 08:41:17 PM »
Call a professional as they are licensed to use the good insecticide that you can't get. As far as I know that is the effective way and the route we took and you have a record of the proper work being done if it is a building you own and ever have to sell.

This is really important. My father, who had access to many of the chemicals through his work, sprayed the house I grew up in, and when he sold it 19 years later he was worried that the inspector would notice even after all of that time. Just something to be aware of.