Author Topic: Ford late model Taurus 3.5 V6 Water Pump --  (Read 4634 times)

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Ford late model Taurus 3.5 V6 Water Pump --
« on: February 26, 2019, 06:37:57 PM »
This must be the engine from hell  -- you have to pull the engine to replace the water pump.  >:( >:( >:(

Being an engineer, I admit that sometimes I just don't get the "engineering design" discipline. What perceived benefit could possibly warrant putting the water pump inside the timing chain cover. If the pump fails catastrophically, it leaks coolant into the oil pan and ruins the lower end.

This young technician took his time explaining and documenting the procedure in three extended videos. I applaud this man --  :-*

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Ford late model Taurus 3.5 V6 Water Pump --
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 07:45:52 PM »
The benefit of putting behind the timing chain cover must have to do with assembly and saving a step or some costs. Beyond the warranty I doubt manufacturers give a second thought to maintenance. By that I mean the MBAs not the engineers.

It seems insane to put the water pump there especially since it really is a service item and could reasonably be expected to be replaced during the life of a vehicle.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 03:55:38 PM »
The benefit of putting behind the timing chain cover must have to do with assembly and saving a step or some costs. Beyond the warranty I doubt manufacturers give a second thought to maintenance. By that I mean the MBAs not the engineers.

It seems insane to put the water pump there especially since it really is a service item and could reasonably be expected to be replaced during the life of a vehicle.

You're probably right Steve -- but damn, as a customer, that repair cost would greatly impact my next car purchasing decision. Most other American and Asian cars don't have that bad a design. My 2011 Caddy Northstar 4.6L water pump is notoriously difficult to service, but compared to this Ford fiasco -- it doesn't seem all that bad.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 06:13:11 PM »
Ease of assembly...

Something you can relate to Ray. 

The 2012 and later Chevy Traverse is delivered with a shorter PF64 oil filter for assembly rather than the longer PF63E filter which puts you even closer to the catalytic converter  :-\
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 06:35:19 PM »
Ease of assembly...

The 2012 and later Chevy Traverse is delivered with a shorter PF64 oil filter for assembly rather than the longer PF63E filter which puts you even closer to the catalytic converter  :-\

Just straight pipe it, problem solved.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 07:24:11 PM »
It is a shame more consideration is not given to keeping cars on the road beyond warranty. I personally am of the opinion it is far "greener" to keep a car on the road than to junk it every few years.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 07:55:25 PM »
Ease of assembly...

Just straight pipe it, problem solved.
Not quite solved but it would give a bit more room to remove and attach.

From the top you still have to snake your arm to the filter and remove and install without any visual and be careful not to spill oil on the alternator.

One of the AC ports is nearby as well :-[

Not a design meant for the auto tech.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 08:01:46 PM »
I bet that 3.6 v6 would sound sick straight piped. Throw a turbo on for good measure. ;D