Author Topic: AC advice needed  (Read 5647 times)

Offline slip knot

AC advice needed
« on: March 01, 2019, 07:09:08 PM »
The wifes Durango AC compressor has been a bit noisy lately. She informed me today that its not cooling very well. Seems she determined that AC was a necessity  item for her. ;D

Napa carries the Denso brand at @$400 and condenser runs @$100.

Rock Auto has several brands, 4 seasons, GPD, and UAC. all of these run in the $250 range. Condenser in the $100 range also

Cost isn't too big an issue I just don't want to do this one time and done.

Anyone have any experiences with the RA components listed?

Offline bonneyman

Re: AC advice needed
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 07:18:04 PM »
No direct experience, but make sure whatever "brand" they're selling is the OEM equivalent. It might be more $$$, but the cheaper ones use parts and construction that are just not as good.

Had the in-tank fuel pump changed in the Astro 6 years ago, and it's starting to give me the intermittent no-start. The original pump went 9 years. I went for the "quality" replacement and didn't opt for the OEM equivalent.  :-[

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 08:52:56 PM »
That's a tough call. RA sells good stuff, but a lot of it is remanufactured, and sometimes there are QC problems. I'd hate to do a job like this twice -- and therefore would lean toward the Denso option (assuming it's new and also not a reman). Denso is quality --

Just my humble opinion -- Good luck with the repair!!!

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 09:07:13 PM »
I am always averse to buying anything Japanese but likely Denso is the OEM for what's in the Durango. Whether the Denso option is the OEM unit is another question but I'd say odds are it is.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 10:06:16 PM »
Denso is the OEM I believe. Haven't looked at it in a while.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 10:42:46 PM »
I prefer Napa parts over the rest of them.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 11:19:43 PM »
Just a thought, but is the current condenser clean? The fan blades? Is there an extra constriction in the lines? I am especially familiar with auto AC, but that is what I would start with, rather than doing a replacement.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 09:16:42 PM »
Finally got around to putting the gauges on it today. 75f ambient. Low side is 100psi, hi side is 100psi. Doesn't matter if compressor is running or not 100/100 are the numbers. The compressor comes on but doesn't load the engine at all. I think the compressors shot.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 10:13:11 PM »
Those are not good numbers -- low side should be less than half that number at 75F, and high side should be much higher.

You didn't indicate humidity, so a general chart may not be that accurate -vs. one that also includes RH in the calculation.

At 75F my general chart indicates 35-45psi LOW, and 150-170psi HIGH -- these are approximations. With accurate RH in the picture, the values will change somewhat.

Offline john k

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 11:38:08 PM »
Definitely the compressor.    Going to need a reciever dryer,  and consider flushing the system.

Online stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 07:51:46 AM »
Definitely the compressor.    Going to need a reciever dryer,  and consider flushing the system.
For some compressors you will need to purchase a receiver dryer to get a warranty.

As a side note, some compressors will come pre-filled with PAG oil while others may not and you will need to look up the components replaced and the amount of oil needed.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline slip knot

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 05:34:13 PM »
Well this was the weekend of no return. A new Denso compressor, new condenser, receiver drier and both front and rear expansion valves. Took forever to get it full of Freon. but with 55/220 at 80F she'll put out 52F out the vents. Not the greatest cooling but it should get me a few month reprieve. ;D

Ordered everything from Rock auto. even the two quarts of flush. The Freon came from Sams. 12 cans for $39.

only cut one finger :-[