Author Topic: '05 Ford F150 SuperCab Side Mirror Replacement  (Read 3013 times)

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
'05 Ford F150 SuperCab Side Mirror Replacement
« on: April 01, 2019, 06:40:30 PM »
My wife has been snake-bit with vehicles lately.  It was having the 4Runner totaled in December and last week used the truck for an errand to find the driver's mirror pushed forward with the glass broken.  Upon inspection it was not just the glass but the plastic where it attached to the motor.

I found numerous inexpensive after-market replacements available but decided that an OEM Ford replacement through the web for about $150 was the best option.

As many know these vehicles have a reputation for failing window regulators and I have replaced both of front ones some time in the past. There are a number of good videos on how to replace these and how to remove the door panels but I forgot how many different fasteners are used. 

In a nutshell; you have to remove the cover plate from underneath the inside door handle to access the two 8mm screws underneath; lift to remove the switch panel in the armrest, disconnect the connectors and remove the single 10mm bolt, lift off the speaker grill to reveal the speaker and the four 5.5mm screws then finally remove the two 6mm screws at the bottom of the door.  This will allow you to remove the door panel by lifting it vertically to disengage the "hooks" holding it to the door.  The cable can be removed from the inside handle and the panel set aside.  Reasssembly is difficult because to align the panel hooks the bottom plastic speaker mounts need to be pulled out to align the hooks and then reinstalled.

After all this I the went to remove the mirror.  The connector plugs directly into the mirror assembly and is accessible by peeling the plastic back.  Then  what appeared to be a typical 10mm nut was found to be 11mm  :-[. Certainly not a common size and I can only remember using that size on the steering shaft on a GM.

The sizes listed are the socket size required for removal/assembly, not the actual size of the fastener.
Nick
Yorktown, VA