Author Topic: Show your VACO!  (Read 9503 times)

Offline highland512

Re: Show your VACO!
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2019, 04:56:07 PM »
Found this set in the bottom of a junk bucket at a pawn shop. The drivers where scattered in the bucket then I found the holder and put this set together.

But that smell though............

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2019, 06:04:45 PM »
Ballistol gun oil and water, 50/50 mix. Soak the handles it the mix for 30 minutes. Remove and wipe dry.

The ballistol neutralizes acidic residue which initiates the deterioration and then is a product of the decay and produces the smell. After such treatment my drivers stay odor free for about 2 months.

I'm just noticing all the posted drivers. Is the color code of the handles standardized by size? I think it is and it seems to be, but I'm not sure. Anyone know?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2019, 10:00:26 AM »
An Orchard Park-era distributor tool.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 10:42:20 AM »
Found a long style 3/8"er over the weekend! The shank and broaching are pristine, but the handle has been wrenched on. Gotta figure out what I'm going to do with it.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 11:19:31 AM »
Ballistol gun oil and water, 50/50 mix. Soak the handles it the mix for 30 minutes. Remove and wipe dry.

The ballistol neutralizes acidic residue which initiates the deterioration and then is a product of the decay and produces the smell. After such treatment my drivers stay odor free for about 2 months.

I'm just noticing all the posted drivers. Is the color code of the handles standardized by size? I think it is and it seems to be, but I'm not sure. Anyone know?
Here is a well used Craftsman set that show the standardized colors with the sizes marked. The 7/16” are brown, the 1/2” are red, the 9/16” are kind of pink and the 5/8” are yellow, I believe.
-Don
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 11:24:08 AM by d42jeep »

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 06:51:36 PM »
Here are a few more. Husky, Craftsman and Walden.
-Don

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2019, 07:06:19 PM »
Found a long style 3/8"er over the weekend! The shank and broaching are pristine, but the handle has been wrenched on. Gotta figure out what I'm going to do with it.

I gave in over the weekend and swapped out a blue handle from a standard VACO nutdriver. Then I put 'er in storage.

Offline Elroy

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2019, 04:40:00 PM »
My VACO screw starters

Those Vaco starters really work well.

Offline Tool Pants

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2019, 04:10:50 PM »
Here is my little collection.  This is nothing I would have bought other than it came in an old unique S-K tool box I wanted filled with old tools.  Guy would not sell me just the box unless I paid for all the tools inside.  I laugh to see the UL symbol on 2.  Not an electrician but no way I would use any of that stuff on live wires.

The reversible is interesting.  2 patent numbers. 2,046,837 on the Phillips blade which is a 1936 patent for Phillips.  Just above but not in the pic is license #14.  Back then I believe you had to pay a license fee to make the screwdriver to fit the screws.  The other patent 2,596,594 from 1952 is for the design of a reversible blade.

I never knew what the empty black handle was until I just looked it up.  "Torque Amplifier."  Slide the larger black handle over a smaller midget handle for the larger grip provided by the black handle.  That is what I  figure from the 3rd picture which is from ebay after my search.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 04:31:45 PM by Tool Pants »