Author Topic: 2 SK RATCHETS  (Read 4204 times)

Offline ken w.

2 SK RATCHETS
« on: July 01, 2019, 09:01:53 PM »
I was going through some plastic bags I saw on the floor today and found these. The first one is a Chrome Alloy 4070. This is an early SK 1/2" ratchet. It's kind of smooth for something this old. I remember getting this quite a while ago. The second is the traditional SK  3/8 round head ratchet , but it says -  Custom on it. This one I don't remember getting. What makes this ratchet so "custom" ? It doesn't look or feel any different.

Offline ken w.

Re: 2 SK RATCHETS
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 09:04:00 PM »
More pics.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 09:50:10 PM »
The "S dot K" logo puts it in the FACOM era (1985-2005) and possibly later. If that helps anything.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 12:02:35 PM »
The "S dot K" logo puts it in the FACOM era (1985-2005) and possibly later. If that helps anything.

i mostly agree with that as tuff 1 rats and some other pieces had a different logo than the standard s-k logo. but........ that custom line is pre facom. the custom and or peg pack stuff goes back to late 70's or around  early 80's, i know for a fact that i filled in some gaps with peg pack singles in 1984, my first year of college and i know they were not new then. i still have those sockets.

that "custom" ratchet was available as a peg pack single and the "frankenstein" ratchets came with the sets from that same line. my frankie laying on my desk has that same logo and i am positive predates the facom era.

if you notice, the custom ratchets have a black cap and black anvil like the frankies do. the imprinting on the drive end also gives it away as being  made earlier as well. i doubt any of the facom era production had that.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 12:09:21 PM by skfarmer »
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 06:39:57 PM »

i mostly agree with that as tuff 1 rats and some other pieces had a different logo than the standard s-k logo. but........ that custom line is pre facom. the custom and or peg pack stuff goes back to late 70's or around  early 80's, i know for a fact that i filled in some gaps with peg pack singles in 1984, my first year of college and i know they were not new then. i still have those sockets.

that "custom" ratchet was available as a peg pack single and the "frankenstein" ratchets came with the sets from that same line. my frankie laying on my desk has that same logo and i am positive predates the facom era.

if you notice, the custom ratchets have a black cap and black anvil like the frankies do. the imprinting on the drive end also gives it away as being  made earlier as well. i doubt any of the facom era production had that.

Yeah, that imprinted anvil screams 1970's, but I've never seen an s-k "custom" ratchet before. So, I figured it was something newer.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 06:43:34 PM by bonneyman »

Offline ken w.

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 09:02:41 PM »
Is this thing rare ?

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 10:58:09 PM »
slightly i would say. more scarce than a frankenstein but somewhat  rare in the fact  it is the same as the standard ratchet other than minor differences. i would snag one as a conversation piece if i could but other than that irr is just a good user.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline ken w.

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 02:50:15 PM »
Do you want this one ?