Author Topic: Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC welder still going strong for over 50 years.  (Read 5969 times)

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
I just picked up a few pieces of plate steel to restock my supply and also picked up some welding gas. I tried a new supplier that came recommended, and I was pleasantly surprised (maybe even shocked) to see that this old-time steel and fab company still uses a lot of old school "Big Tombstone" Idealarc 250 AC/DC welding machines in their shop. This is the larger commercial version of the home/farm Lincoln AC or AC/DC 225 Tombstone welder we're all used to seeing in home shops everywhere. The front office manager told me that they had tried more modern machines, but they didn't hold up or came close to the quality of these old machines. In fact they go out of their way buy them used and refurbish them in-house.

Since they fab mostly in steel, they just set these things to DC and forget about it. He said they had one machine that hasn't been touched since the early 70's. They just blow them out with compressed air twice a year. Simply amazing what these machines can stand up to --

If you're lucky enough find one if these at a good price (less than $100), buy it. Lincoln produced ten-of thousands, and although they may look beat up and dingy, the internals are bullet proof. Fifty years in a dusty, dirty, open to the elements shop is proof enough that this is pretty much the standard for quality transformer welders.

The pic below is from the net -- I forgot to take pics at the shop. Needless to say that the fab shop units I saw this morning didn't look like this one -- by a mile!!!

« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 11:32:07 AM by goodfellow »

Offline Matt_T

Re: Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC welder still going strong for over 50 years.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 11:38:44 AM »
I haven't seen anyone burning rods in a fab shop in a long time. At least 20 years ago and might be bumping 30. Are they doing something that has to be stick welded or are they just old school?

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 12:19:48 PM »
I've had my eye out for a 250 ac/dc ideal arc for a while. They show up in the $3-$500 range here regularly but don't last long. I've been beat out a few times.

There were a bunch of 70s vintage ac/dc dialarcs sold on govdeals a while back. I bid $350 each on them and didn't win any. :o

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 12:47:55 PM »
That one in the pic looks like there is some red overspray near the base. Looks like she got touched up and looks nice. I reviewed Craigslist in my neck of the woods, and see one listed for $550. The description reads as:

Lincoln idealarc 250 ac/dc stick welder.
This old girl isnt real pretty but she lays the weld bead beautiful. This welder has factory power capacitors so it can be run on standard home 220v.
550.00 obo

I have an old (AC only) P&H monster that gets lit up, every 4.35 years for some odd project, otherwise it's MIG.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 12:53:57 PM »
I haven't seen anyone burning rods in a fab shop in a long time. At least 20 years ago and might be bumping 30. Are they doing something that has to be stick welded or are they just old school?
They do structural steel for small contractors - they have other machines, but for welding in the yard, this is what they have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 07:15:53 PM »
That is the machine I have. I paid $300 for mine about 20 years ago from the state. They are about a bulletproof machine too. Mine is very clean but that picture is very tempting to make me repaint mine though it really does not need it.

I need a wire feed to cover the thin stuff like auto sheet metal and the like. If I had that I would be set.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 09:21:52 PM »
I remember you had one of those - IIRC, they came in both an AC only as well as AC/DC version. The shop I visited only had the AC/DC machines. I can see why they and the homeowner grade 225s are so popular - a very basic robust design, and some quality internals. These things will still be burning rods long after we’re gone.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 09:30:23 PM »
They do structural steel for small contractors - they have other machines, but for welding in the yard, this is what they have.

Makes sense for out in the yard. Thought they were using them inside the shop.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 09:37:52 AM »
I remember you had one of those - IIRC, they came in both an AC only as well as AC/DC version. The shop I visited only had the AC/DC machines. I can see why they and the homeowner grade 225s are so popular - a very basic robust design, and some quality internals. These things will still be burning rods long after we’re gone.

True, AC/DC or AC and either single or three phase. Mine is AC/DC and single phase.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!