Author Topic: Dwell Tach and timing light  (Read 20564 times)

Offline coolmercury

Dwell Tach and timing light
« on: September 28, 2018, 09:04:23 AM »
Last items from last weeks auction, I needed a dwell tachometer and timing light so couldn't turn these down for $5.00.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Dwell Tach and timing light
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 09:10:47 AM »
The dwell/tach is a low-cost item, but the timing light is a great deal. At one time that light (with the advance dial adjustment) was quite and expensive item.

Thanks for sharing!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 10:12:20 AM »
The dwell/tach is a low-cost item, but the timing light is a great deal. At one time that light (with the advance dial adjustment) was quite and expensive item.

Thanks for sharing!

^^^ Yep!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 10:52:23 AM »
Stuff looks hardly used.

Not used much anymore by most so they don't carry much value anymore but for $5 that's a steal.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 11:31:08 AM »
At one time that timing light was Sears best and a great piece of equipment. I have one myself. Very well done indeed!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 02:35:29 PM »
That's a nice timing light except for those disconnectable leads. Mine got loose and wouldn't make good contact. a wiggle or two and it would work...for a while... :(

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 03:02:39 PM »
Both these still work fine, used them on the 56 Mercury a couple days ago. :)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 03:04:21 PM »
That's a nice timing light except for those disconnectable leads. Mine got loose and wouldn't make good contact. a wiggle or two and it would work...for a while... :(

Same thing happened to the first one I had. I just looked around and found another that worked cheap and replaced it. I still like those guns.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 10:09:15 PM »
Finally got a nice classic timing light, dwell tach meter, and  engine analyzer and now they're all useless because the Toyota is gone. The other two vehicles are newer, EFI.   >:(

Offline john k

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2018, 12:01:20 AM »
Good stuff in their day, I wanted a light  like that so bad but couldn't afford it.    A good deal, but sort of like a chrome plated battery charger that is six volt only. 

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2018, 05:20:48 AM »
Good stuff in their day, I wanted a light  like that so bad but couldn't afford it.    A good deal, but sort of like a chrome plated battery charger that is six volt only.

I wanted a light  like that so bad but couldn't afford it.  Story of my life, both single and married, especially married with kids.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 09:35:46 PM »
Gang,

A couple of questions about old school dwell/tach's.

Will these tach's work on a 4 cyl with a little math?  If so, what's the correction on the 8 cyl rpm scale?

Also, regarding the timing lights, how do you use these on modern engines with no distributors and no high tension plug wires?

I have the old school equipment but have newer school vehicles...
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 10:08:42 PM »
AFAIK -- modern vehicles can't be tested with the old analog devices. You need to connect to a high energy spark to trigger the magnetic pickup -- since coils are now directly connected to the plug, then it would take some Rube Goldberg engineering to get the pickup to trigger off the coil pack. The tach/dwell meter is useless in the same manner -- no distributor to hook up to.

The real old lights without the mag pickup were connected in series with the plug wire to the plug through a spring "T" fitting. If you can find one of those lights, and connect it after the coil and make the connection to the plug, then it might trigger the light.  -- BUT for what purpose?

IIRC -- you got a 4cyl reading on the Dwell Tach by doubling the value on the 8cyl scale. -- It's been a while since I've used one of the handheld models though --  :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 10:18:37 PM by goodfellow »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 10:27:10 PM »
AFAIK -- modern vehicles can't be tested with the old analog devices. You need to connect to a high energy spark to trigger the magnetic pickup -- since coils are now directly connected to the plug, then it would take some Rube Goldberg engineering to get the pickup to trigger off the coil pack. The tach/dwell meter is useless in the same manner -- no distributor to hook up to.

The real old lights without the mag pickup were connected in series with the plug wire to the plug through a spring "T" fitting. If you can find one of those lights, and connect it after the coil and make the connection to the plug, then it might trigger the light.  -- BUT for what purpose?

IIRC -- you got a 4cyl reading on the Dwell Tach by doubling the value on the 8cyl scale. -- It's been a while since I've used one of the handheld models though --  :)

Dang, Ray, is there anything you don't know about cars?  :D

Wish you were local - I'd bring my cars to you to fix ( when you had time in between your own 5 vehicles)!  :-[

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 09:11:59 AM »

Doubling the scale values or halving the reading should work. I think. Been 20 years since I used a tach on anything bigger than a twin.