Author Topic: Anyone being affected by the shutdown?  (Read 47474 times)

Offline fatfillup

Re: Anyone being affected by the shutdown?
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2018, 08:05:01 AM »
Traffic will be a little easier especially if I head towards DC but no direct impact on family or business.

I also agree there is little difference between the parties and neither have the stomach to control spending which is my biggest concern

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2018, 08:56:44 AM »
Traffic will be a little easier especially if I head towards DC but no direct impact on family or business.

I also agree there is little difference between the parties and neither have the stomach to control spending which is my biggest concern

And judging from the latest round of inductees things don't look like they're going to change at all. Spend the country into oblivion - but there's no chump change for a border wall so forget it. >:(

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2018, 09:03:53 AM »

Saved me the typing! VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Honestly, these shutdowns don't affect much.  The media loves to act like the sky is falling, but that's never the case.
Especially now because most agencies already have their full year appropriation, so they're not even being affected.

I'm glad Trump is forcing the issue on the border wall funding.  W Bush should've pushed to get this border wall constructed after 9/11.  If he had, I'd think a lot more of him than I do.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline 34Ply

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2018, 05:37:39 PM »
When I worked construction I new that I might be laid off in the winter for a while. I put some money away to help out while I drew unemployment. I never came glose to making what a Gov. worker makes but knowing there has been shutdowns in the past why haven't they accounted for it. It won't last long anyway.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2018, 08:38:06 PM »
When I worked construction I new that I might be laid off in the winter for a while. I put some money away to help out while I drew unemployment. I never came glose to making what a Gov. worker makes but knowing there has been shutdowns in the past why haven't they accounted for it. It won't last long anyway.

Despite the medias hand wringing and bleating everyone knows these are short lived and in the end no one ever loses any pay when it is all said and done. Just so much media hype and BS.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2019, 12:17:22 PM »
Well it looks like Trump is holding firm, and the Dem leaders are speaking code words. Hopefully national security doesn't blink. Guess Jan 11th is the next real test, as that's when Federal employees will be due their paychecks and not get them. Things might start to get heated then.

And the IRS won't be issuing refunds, either. No manpower. Funny how we still gotta pay our taxes...but they don't have to return our money.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2019, 02:30:28 PM »
Well it looks like Trump is holding firm, and the Dem leaders are speaking code words. Hopefully national security doesn't blink. Guess Jan 11th is the next real test, as that's when Federal employees will be due their paychecks and not get them. Things might start to get heated then.

And the IRS won't be issuing refunds, either. No manpower. Funny how we still gotta pay our taxes...but they don't have to return our money.

I am glad he is holding firm. I hope he sticks with it. Now the Dems will get to share in the judgment with Trump. Of course the media will put it all on Trump, 100%. I cannot stand the media.

Offline Fins/413

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2019, 04:00:51 PM »
Since I retired in 2017 I am not, before that as a contractor at the EPA I got screwed every time. The government employees will get paid eventually no so with contractors.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2019, 09:46:36 PM »
Trump needs to stand as firm as that wall.  There's more people behind him in support than anyone knows.
boop/bop/beep

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2019, 09:58:58 PM »
Trump needs to stand as firm as that wall.  There's more people behind him in support than anyone knows.

If he folds on it this time he better never open his mouth about it again. I hope he stands firm and plays hardball with the Dems.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2019, 11:09:33 PM »
Trump won't get re-elected if he folds on the wall. The Dems know this - that's why they're being so greedy as to deny a penny out of every $10 of goverment spending for the wall. It's all because they don't want to let Trump have this victory.

Offline walrus

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2019, 06:10:44 AM »
My wife has co workers driving uber now. You guys that think folks won't be hurt by this are full of it. Some federal workers make diddly squat and are living paycheck to paycheck like many folks n the US. Sure they get good bennies and thats why most do it but they ain't getting rich. 

I can't see this ending real soon, like some have already stated this is do or die for Trump.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2019, 07:01:01 AM »
The workers will get back pay. When the demrats come to the table and fund the wall . This is like a union on strike, only it is President Trump that's carrying the picket sign. Unlike a union strike where the labor NEVER gets what has been lost while out of work.

Sometimes folks need to make up their minds. And sometime it takes some PAIN to get what's done that is needed. Sure its tuff, and sure the bennies are great.  I not in favor fo fed workers getting bennies as the country is over run. Defeated because some clowns want diversity in our culture. Our culture of life American, BTW IS beaning hijacked.

Are they willing to speak English ..... NO, are they here, coming to meld into our culture NO. Water seeking the path of  least resistance, path to your bennies and tax money... really some need to open your eyes. 

You want to help the fed worker invite them into your home feed and take care of them. And when things turn around, they will be gone bye bye. Just listen closely sometime to the fed worker, works for 20 years retires with great bennies.  Then looks down their noise at you..... sucker working to 65-70 and needing to buy your own health ins and so on ....... The fed worker everyday motivation, how many days before they retire. Post office was all that.... then email cought them by the short hairs, all that has changed, they actually have to work. Just as the post office employee, in it for the free ride that is a good one, so I guess it takes being uncomfortable and hard ship to suck off the tax payers.

I prefer have them getting the tax payers money, with some humility about it.  At least they have contributed to America .... Not these rag tag beggars, over running our borders.

Are they all like that no, but the biggest majority ARE, sorry for the reality check ......... NOT really

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2019, 07:18:48 AM »
My wife has co workers driving uber now. You guys that think folks won't be hurt by this are full of it. Some federal workers make diddly squat and are living paycheck to paycheck like many folks n the US. Sure they get good bennies and thats why most do it but they ain't getting rich. 

I can't see this ending real soon, like some have already stated this is do or die for Trump.

Seriously? I never met a federal employee that was not well paid with excellent benefits. To each his own I guess but I would love to know where the poorly paid fed employees are all hiding. I know one thing for sure though, if Trump caves to the jackals on this one he will be done for sure. So he really has no choice but to press on.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2019, 09:44:37 AM »
Hell, I got employees making a 40 hour check driving for Uber because they cant afford the fricking insurance cut. and they aren't laid off, furloughed or anything else. too bad your wifes friends are having to work to make ends meet, join the crowd,