Author Topic: Anyone being affected by the shutdown?  (Read 47829 times)

Offline bonneyman

Re: Anyone being affected by the shutdown?
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2019, 06:16:53 PM »
I will agree it is about two things - money and power. And neither of those two things has the American people in mind.

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2019, 07:20:10 PM »
When is anything done in the political arena not done for power and money?

Thursday January 10 @ 17:00 Pacific time: Senate met today but couldn't come up with anything, so no paychecks tomorrow for federal employees, including agents of the FBI.

No money for wall this week. No money for wall next week. No money for wall the week after.
It's not going to happen.
Get over it already.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2019, 09:16:21 PM »
So walrus. "if it ain't Trump" ............... kindly educate me, give me a name .
all ears
Pep

Interesting look at perceived PAIN:
"IRS employee Krystle Kirkpatrick and her family, including her two children, ages 6 and 12, aren’t eating out, buying brand-name foods or getting drinks at the gas station. Her husband is working overtime in his job as a machinist to try to make up for her lost paycheck.:

The pain must be so horrible and hardships inconceivable being faced by the family .... OH think they gave up the cell phones ?

O0
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2019, 10:02:46 PM »
AOC
boop/bop/beep

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2019, 10:19:58 PM »
When is anything done in the political arena not done for power and money?

Thursday January 10 @ 17:00 Pacific time: Senate met today but couldn't come up with anything, so no paychecks tomorrow for federal employees, including agents of the FBI.

No money for wall this week. No money for wall next week. No money for wall the week after.
It's not going to happen.
Get over it already.

So Pelosi/Schumer can't find one lousy penny out of every $10 of government spending to pay for a security wall? I don't believe it. The money can be found, it's just they don't want to let Trump have a victory. If the President went on TV twice a week and said this, those furloughed people would be frying the phones lines to Congress saying give him the penny already and let us go back to work.

My opinion anyways.

Offline Lance

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2019, 10:28:12 PM »
JANUARY 10, 2019

Instead of building a border wall to protect the United States from invaders, Nancy Pelosi wants to “repair” the roads so migrants will use those instead.
During a press conference today, the House Speaker told reporters she wants to increase “scanning” technology to scrutinize cars coming over the border.

“Repair the roads to facilitate immigration and trade in those regions,” she proposed.
That’s about as batty an idea as another she had to stymie illegal immigration: cutting the grass near the border to spot illegals lurking in the weeds.

Last February, Pelosi proposed in an interview with The Arizona Republic to cut the grass along the border so illegal immigrants can’t sneak through.

“Do you think you can get House Democrats to support something that would result in the construction of something that isn’t already standing at this point, if it brought some assurance for the Dreamers?” congressional reporter Ronald Hansen asked.
“I’m not the wall’s biggest advocate in Congress, but I do know that representatives in the House and Senators in that body from the border areas have some serious objection to a wall. To a wall,” Pelosi stammered, suffering a face spasm. “Because they know how detrimental it can be to a community, to trade, to all the other aspects of a border.”
She continued, “But again, let’s sit down and talk this through and see what makes sense, not some commitment to a promise that we’re going to build a wall and Mexico is going to pay for it. That’s never going to happen.
“But let’s talk about where a more serious structure might be necessary, where fencing will do, or where mowing the grass so people can’t be smuggled through the grass, that’s something,” Pelosi said.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2019, 10:52:51 PM »
It was so nice of CNN's Jim Acosta to prove Trump is right about the wall. Jim shot a selfie video in front of a section of the steel barrier on the border in Texas and commented how he didn't see anybody in the area trying to get over or through the barrier. He also said he saw no national emergency happening anywhere around him. He thought he was saying how a wall is unneeded when he was actually proving the barriers work as intended. That Jim is just not too bright for sure. Love it. ;D

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cnns-jim-acosta-mocked-for-accidently-proving-that-border-walls-work

Offline walrus

« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2019, 04:54:22 AM »
goodfellow, not sure what you are chuckling about we said the same thing. Basically, follow the money. Maybe it was my belief that Trump wont follow thru on immigration reform, that remains to be seen.
Pep, I have no idea what politician will have the backbone to so something about immigration. I fear their is no one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2019, 07:16:49 AM »
goodfellow, not sure what you are chuckling about we said the same thing. Basically, follow the money. Maybe it was my belief that Trump wont follow thru on immigration reform, that remains to be seen.
Pep, I have no idea what politician will have the backbone to so something about immigration. I fear their is no one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Not chuckling at your comment Walrus -- sorry it came across that way. My point was to second the fact that the MONEY in Washington has totally destroyed any semblance of common sense on both sides of the isle -- and not just recently, but for decades. The average tax paying American gets the shaft, while special interests get their pet projects approved under the guise of Politically Correct rhetoric.

Trump, for his many faults, is the first to point the finger at both parties and make the squirm by shedding light on their collective hypocrisy about border security. 

Offline highland512

« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2019, 07:40:58 AM »
It was so nice of CNN's Jim Acosta to prove Trump is right about the wall. Jim shot a selfie video in front of a section of the steel barrier on the border in Texas and commented how he didn't see anybody in the area trying to get over or through the barrier. He also said he saw no national emergency happening anywhere around him. He thought he was saying how a wall is unneeded when he was actually proving the barriers work as intended. That Jim is just not too bright for sure. Love it. ;D

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cnns-jim-acosta-mocked-for-accidently-proving-that-border-walls-work

He didn't hang around the right spot. The wall section I worked on was built almost exactly like the McAllen section, at night the illegals would just walk around the end of the fence  ::) Our government at work.

Offline Lance

« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2019, 08:29:07 AM »
Yesterday, 10 January 2019, while all the TV cameras, phones, in the hands of idiots moved stories of Federal employees (I'll not call them workers) croaking of starvation in the middle of Main Street because not even the Food Bank was open the Congress passed a Resolution awarding employees back pay for the extra vacation they are currently taking. 

Just another screwing of the US Taxpayer.
Nobody is going to report the story though.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2019, 08:59:27 AM »
Now I'm reading that there are people out there who are claiming that the sky is going to fall if the shutdown continues. An economic hellscape. Honestly I thought it would take longer before the fear-mongering started.

I think this is just another proof that the libs are getting scared. Nobody has pushed a shutdown like Trump is doing. In the past the libs outplayed the president. Now I'm not so sure. Sounds like the doomsayers about a "no-deal" brexit. All the fear mongering because parliament won't buy Theresa Mays "deal". So they're resorting to fear-mongering to try and spook the MP's into voting for a lousy deal. As I think the mainstream media and liberal pundits are doing with the shutdown.

All we need are those pennies, Nancy.  ;D  I mean how much have we blown on the F-35, the Zumwalt class destroyers with nothing to shoot cause the ammo went stratospheric, the Littoral-class money saving modular ships that aren't, ah, saving money, and $13 billion aircraft carriers with plane elevators that don't work. And they can't find any money for a lousy wall.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2019, 11:53:48 AM »
A question occurred to me, How do the folks on the border feel about the wall?  And I am not just talking about the folks here, the folks in general who are affected the most by illegals.

Offline highland512

« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2019, 12:26:06 PM »
From my experience (mostly with land owners) they where either all for it or hated it. The guys who owned and ranched right up to the rio hated it, in most cases the fence is a few hundred yard from the river. The guys who where more inland liked it, you would be amazed by how many illegals would be running across desert at night.   

Offline Lance

« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2019, 12:27:05 PM »
Pope's salesman in the area ain't happy about the wall.  Might cut off some of their relocation and Sec 8 housing income.  His boss who lives behind a big wall don't like that.

January 10, 2019
The federal government has started surveying land along the border in Texas and announced plans to start construction next month. Rather than surrender their land, some property owners are digging in, vowing to reject buyout offers and preparing to fight the administration in court.

"You could give me a trillion dollars and I wouldn't take it," said Cavazos, whose land sits along the Rio Grande, the river separating the U.S. and Mexico in Texas. "It's not about money." Trump is scheduled to visit the border Thursday in McAllen, a city of 143,000 on the river.
Congress in March funded 33 miles (53 kilometers) of walls and fencing in Texas. The government has laid out plans that would cut across private land in the Rio Grande Valley. Those in the way include landowners who have lived in the valley for generations, environmental groups and a 19th century chapel.
Many have hired lawyers who are preparing to fight the government if, as expected, it moves to seize their land through eminent domain. The opposition will intensify if Democrats accede to the Trump administration's demand to build more than 215 new miles of wall, including 104 miles in the Rio Grande Valley and 55 miles near Laredo. Even a compromise solution to build "steel slats," as Trump has suggested, or more fencing of the kind that Democrats have previously supported would likely trigger more court cases and pushback in Texas.

Lawyers appear to be real happy!~