Author Topic: I SENT MY TOOLS TO BE AUCTIONED  (Read 2805 times)

Offline ken w.

I SENT MY TOOLS TO BE AUCTIONED
« on: August 20, 2019, 07:15:03 PM »
I'm kinda running out of room at my place and have to downsize. I've had a growing pallet of organized tools sitting in my driveway for @ 2 years now and I've been adding to it ever since. The auction company picked most of it up today. There is another 5-6 shipping totes I forgot about that I'll have to drop off. It was mostly all good USA & some Euro made stuff.

I've also been  emptying out my girlfriends fathers workshop out of 65 years worth of tools , machinery , and hardware. He used to install flooring and kitchen / bathroom remodeling. All of that also went to the same auction company.

They will be auctioned off at the Alexander Steam Engine Show on Thursday Sept 5th. 

Everyone is welcome to come and bid on   my junk.

This is a pretty cool Steam engine / antique tractor show. 2 acres of flea market area. Tons of hit and miss engines running all day. If you don't leave with a carbon monoxide headache , you didn't see enough. If you leave without a gut ache , you didn't eat enough good food.

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: I SENT MY TOOLS TO BE AUCTIONED
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 08:29:13 PM »
I hope you sell every one of them.
Sounds like an awesome place to be, if only I was local or could afford to travel there.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 08:33:42 PM »
Wish you all the best, and hope that you have a great auction day.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 09:52:00 PM »
I soooo wish I was closer, that sounds like a great show.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 10:09:15 PM »
I hope you do well with the auction Ken. Sounds like a great show.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 09:46:17 PM »
It's been a bit since the auction. I didn't do as well as expected. I got a check for $ 68.00. Two days later I got a bill for $ 60.00 for a pick up fee.  WTF ??  But , the stuff is gone and I have more room. The girlfriend didn't do very well either. They estimated her stuff would sell for $ 2500.00. She got a check for $ 550.00 . But , it gone.

Offline 3bay

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 07:32:29 AM »
Jeez Ken, I wish I’d seen this earlier but I haven’t been on in months. I would have warned you not to send anything too grand there. I’m sure whatever you two sent boosted the auction though.

First couple times I went, I scoped out the auction before anything else, and it was nothing but junk as far as tools go. A pan of sockets maybe, with none worthwhile to make me stay. Some of the larger items were drawing more attention, rusty old implements and such. I wasn’t impressed that no one was monitoring the small items during the viewing. There was talk of stuff going missing, but maybe a vendor told me that, I can’t remember. Well duh.

The preview seemed like a handful of local yokes standing in a field while all the action is across the way!

Well anyway, I love the flea market and sure would have liked to see what you had for sale, but as you know I moved. I miss that place! Oh well.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 07:49:02 AM »
I go to enough auctions to know I would never try to sell my stuff at one.  Some auctions sell high, but only about 20% of the time, most sell low and how low depends on the makeup of the crowd.  Great place to buy, poor place to sell.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 09:38:02 AM »
Sorry to hear that, Ken. Usually any kind of sale here (thrift, swap, auction, etc.) that has tools people show up early and the stuff evaporates! I show up at 8-9 AM and am almost always told "the tools all went early".  >:(

I'm hoping when it's time to get rid of my tools it'll go well, as my stuff is hand tools and those power tools that every home has. I don't have collections of 50 vises or hundreds of Vise-Grips or anything. ;D