Author Topic: Snap-On roadside find  (Read 5971 times)

Offline bonneyman

Snap-On roadside find
« on: November 12, 2019, 11:36:48 AM »
Spotted a gleaming wrench while driving this morning, and was able to pull over and retrieve it. A Snappy 12mm combo flank drive plus. Cleaned with solvent, a little worse for wear but still useable.

And my price: FREE!

Offline jabberwoki

Re: Snap-On roadside find
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 11:43:06 AM »
Gotta love it.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 11:53:25 AM »
I was thinking of being a real jerk and posting a Snappy/Bonney wrench comparison over at GJ - and the Snap-On can't beat the Bonney even when free!    :))

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 11:54:03 AM »
Good eye George! Wonderful wrench. I don't have a lot of SO, but that wrench design, especially in the smaller sizes such as 10,11,12 mm and 5/16,3/8,7/16", are absolutely fantastic.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 12:09:39 PM »
So you saw this driving down the road?!  Dang, George!   :))
boop/bop/beep

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 12:49:42 PM »
So you saw this driving down the road?!  Dang, George!   :))

Nahh, I'm just lucky.  ;D

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 01:37:23 PM »
Thank you George for picking up the litter and beautifying your little corner of the world :))

FYI List $35.25
https://shop.snapon.com/product/Standard-Handle%2C-mm/12-mm-12-Point-Metric-Flank-Drive-Standard-Combination-Wrench/OEXM120B

Offline highland512

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 01:49:37 PM »
Somewhere in town there is a mechanic looking for his 12mm..................  :D 

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 02:48:27 PM »
Good find.
I found a Craftsman professional ratcheting combo wrench In the street a few years ago, but I was riding a bicycle.

I tell ya If there were two glimmering objects in the street and one was a 1oz diamond and the other a good American made wrench and I could only grab one, I'd grab the wrench  ;)
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 03:37:53 PM »
Thank you George for picking up the litter and beautifying your little corner of the world :))

FYI List $35.25
https://shop.snapon.com/product/Standard-Handle%2C-mm/12-mm-12-Point-Metric-Flank-Drive-Standard-Combination-Wrench/OEXM120B

Yeah, I just hate it when people throw their junk onto the roads I drive on.  :D

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 05:28:37 PM »
Just think, a woman sees a glimmer I the road and hopes someone lost a diamond earing.
A man sees a glimmer I the road and hopes someone lost a wrench.
Hell were even happy to find a nice nut or bolt for the ol' junk bucket.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline wilbilt

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 08:01:12 PM »
I have found quite a few tools on the roads over the years.

One road I drive frequently is a 3-mile gravel county road, a 'shortcut' for getting into town from here. At times, it is quite bumpy in between gradings.

Apparently, the washboard bumps tend to launch items out of the back of trucks. In the past year, I have recovered a 3/8 Husky ratchet in good shape, a VIM gasket scraper, a few no-name pliers and screwdrivers, a roll of gasket material and a factory lug wrench of the Ford F-250-350 variety.

It does seem though, that some items are destined to be lost. I have found several pocketknives over the past few decades, and have lost track of every one of them.

Offline john k

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 09:02:21 PM »
Any snap-on find is a good deal.   I have found 2 SO wrenches, one on and one alongside the road in my decades of driving.  I spotted the first on a gravel road, a 3/8 x 7/16 angled box stubby,  almost new, checked with the owner of the closest shop, not his.  The second wrench was found inthe mud of a water main repair as i walked between 2 of our facilities, was hard to miss,  1-1/4 black finish combo, not too rusty, no name or initials,  have used it a great deal.  Have found other tools,but almost nevergood name brands.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2019, 09:01:24 AM »
My best find was a Snap On 1/2" drive 24" breaker bar on the interstate. I ran across 4 lanes to pick it up.  I also found a Mac 3/8 drive stubby ratchet in this same section of road. Both were like new. Nice find Bonnyman. I'll stop for anything shinny and tool like on the road.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2019, 10:03:55 AM »
My best find was a Snap On 1/2" drive 24" breaker bar on the interstate. I ran across 4 lanes to pick it up.  I also found a Mac 3/8 drive stubby ratchet in this same section of road. Both were like new. Nice find Bonnyman. I'll stop for anything shinny and tool like on the road.

Yeah, I've been known to run across the freeway to retrieve something shiny. :-[
Some years ago I built a Star Trek model, and wouldn't trust the completed model to the included cheapo plastic mount. Wanted a hubcab to support it. Saw a nice one on the freeway, did a u-turn and snagged it. Dodging 18-wheelers and all. Looks perfect!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2019, 03:44:22 PM »
Thought I saw a snappy screwdriver  on the road, turned around to get it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,turned out to be a chicrap clone :-[

I have also turned around to pick up my own tools I left on top of the service body.  Got real lucky last time and only lost a 7/16 socket.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2019, 03:56:20 PM »
I sense a new sticky thread.

Things I have found on the side of the road.

;)

Offline Crispycritter

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2019, 06:33:05 PM »

;)
once found a pair of underwear that had been disposed of for a obvious reason... Left them where they were

Offline eborcim

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2019, 08:50:55 AM »
Somewhere in town there is a mechanic looking for his 12mm..................  :D

to go along with his 10mm socket... ???

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2019, 01:52:03 PM »

;)
once found a pair of underwear that had been disposed of for a obvious reason... Left them where they were

Were they labeled Snap-On? Probably could have sold them on ebay as vintage or something!  :))
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 01:57:51 PM by bonneyman »

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2019, 05:12:35 PM »
so do you mail in the payments or does the snap on guy automatically come to your house for payments now?

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2019, 08:43:07 PM »
Here are some roadside finds from cycling. Its just really over the past few years. I'm far more picky these days about only picking up pairs. Pairs are on the left side, singles on the right.

I have a gaggle of buffing wheels, where I see them protecting large sheets of granite for counter tops and they probably fly off from the tie down straps. Add to that a collection of wrenches, sockets, coins (only at stoplights), wallets, cell phones, credit cards...but I digress.  ;)

I have hauled off a 2x6x8' that was new and that made it home about 5 miles. I've seen a lot of stuff in the road over the years.