Author Topic: Harbor Freight got me today.  (Read 3746 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Harbor Freight got me today.
« on: December 04, 2019, 08:26:20 PM »
Today I spent more at harbor Freight in one shopping trip than I ever thought I would.

I'm going to be making an airgun stock out of birch finish ply, and needed a scroll saw so I decided to go with the HF 16" model I just got a $69.99 coupon for and knew I needed a few other things I suprisingly didn't have.
Any power tools I can't afford to buy elsewhere and consumables I will buy there, while the majority of hand tools I will not.

Anyways I surprised myself and spent $200 there  :-\
1 - scroll saw
2 -  6 packs scroll saw blades
1 -  7pc set forsner bits
1 - 15pc router bit set
1 - set drill bit stops
1 - carpenters bench vise ( wouldn't buy a regular vise there but this should be fine )
2 - 12" QR bar clamps
2 - 6" QR bar clamps
1 - hand countersink tool
1 - 13pc nitride coated hex shank drill bits.

I also bought 2 pairs of US made Midwest brand Buffalo leather mittens at HD while picking up the wood and two sets of WF Craftsman screwdrivers the new big ACE next store had on sale for $3.99 a set, bought both Phillips and Standard for my brother for Christmas.
I had to buy at least something American made today to balance out all of the Chinese stuff I bought.

I also found this cool pen for my uncle who's a plumber.

I don't have any pride in my HF purchases but their stuff generally works for DIY'ers like me.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 10:24:23 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: Harbor Freight got me today.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 09:52:36 PM »
those are the us made screwdriver sets on sale?

i may have to grab some.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 10:22:09 PM »
those are the us made screwdriver sets on sale?

i may have to grab some.
They are.
They were supposed to be $3.99 with your Ace rewards card, but once I got home I realized they charged me $6.
Still, $6 for each 5pc set is a good deal.
They're clearing out all the US made stuff to make room for the new Ace hardware exclusive Chinese made ones.
From what I've heard Lowe's gets the " better " Taiwanese versions and the Chinese ones go to Ace hardware.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 08:21:19 AM »
$200 at HF,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what did you get, one of everything :))

Just messing with you.  As much as I dislike HF, sometimes it is a good choice especially for a young man assembling a collection.  You will figure out which tools you need better quality as time goes on and the ones where HF is good enough.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 05:57:27 PM »
$200 at HF,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what did you get, one of everything :))

Just messing with you.  As much as I dislike HF, sometimes it is a good choice especially for a young man assembling a collection.  You will figure out which tools you need better quality as time goes on and the ones where HF is good enough.
That's pretty much the plan.

Most basic hand tools I just won't buy there though, hammers wrenches, ratchets, screwdrivers , and pliers I have better options for.
Channellock, Vaughan, and eBay for used American made wrenches and stuff.

Btw I checked out the Icon 1/4" ratchet just because it was there, and I was not impressed.
Quality looked good enough but it's larger and stiffer than my US made WRIGHT 2426 but cost about the same.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 06:06:37 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 06:53:46 PM »

:)) $200 at the Fatman's gets you more then on the snappy truck, but boy they don't have those dang good looking hang tags like HF!

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 08:24:34 PM »

:)) $200 at the Fatman's gets you more then on the snappy truck, but boy they don't have those dang good looking hang tags like HF!

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman
Didn't buy a single tool with one of those fancy complex hang tags if you can believe that.

Those hang tags sure do make their ratchets seem special don't they  ;)
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 09:42:47 AM »
Coffee maker sprung a leak and I grabbed a No. 1 Phillips to pull it apart to check it and found out they use Tri-wing screws now. Stopped at HF yesterday after lunch at the airport and bought the Warrior 100pc security bit set. First time in HF in well over a year.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 04:39:36 PM »
Coffee maker sprung a leak and I grabbed a No. 1 Phillips to pull it apart to check it and found out they use Tri-wing screws now. Stopped at HF yesterday after lunch at the airport and bought the Warrior 100pc security bit set. First time in HF in well over a year.
Could've ground on an old beater standard and jammed it in there , but honestly bits are a consumable and when you loose them like I do the cheap ones especially security bits you don't expect to use often HF and the like can be just fine.
A professional should have good ones from Chapman or some of the German ones.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 04:15:17 PM »
Could've ground on an old beater standard and jammed it in there , but honestly bits are a consumable and when you loose them like I do the cheap ones especially security bits you don't expect to use often HF and the like can be just fine.

You saying I'm not a professional? :))

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 11:51:27 AM »

You saying I'm not a professional? :))
They seem to think professionals buy their tools, but you say you haven't been there in a year ?
 :D
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2019, 01:51:12 PM »
I haven't used alot of if stuff, but my son got a few sets of the Doyle pliers. they seem pretty good so far.