Author Topic: How big of a compressor do I need?  (Read 3016 times)

Offline m_fumich

How big of a compressor do I need?
« on: July 30, 2020, 07:33:33 PM »
Right now all I have is a Dewalt pancake compressor. In 2 days I’m picking up a Craftsman compressor with a 6 HP electric motor on a 30 gallon tank. Specs say 6.4 SCFM @ 90 psi.

That’s enough to run all the basic air tools, right? I think the HF blast cabinet will be the most air demanding thing I’ll be using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline john k

Re: How big of a compressor do I need?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 09:56:11 PM »
Buffers and grinders eat a lot of air so the 30 gallon tank iis just big enough.  But a 1/2 in impact  wont do the job  with less than 125 -140 psi. 

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 10:02:11 PM »
Buffers and grinders eat a lot of air so the 30 gallon tank iis just big enough.  But a 1/2 in impact  wont do the job  with less than 125 -140 psi.
I don’t have much need for the 1/2” air tools at the moment but I’ll definitely be looking for a bigger compressor for when that time comes. What’s the highest rating I’ll find on a compressor with a 120v motor?

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 01:29:37 AM »
Let's hope that doesn't need a belt...

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline highland512

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 07:33:59 AM »
I have the same compressor. Its only good for air nailers, inflating tiers, using a blow gun, and light use of a cutter wheel. It will never keep up with a blast cabinet.

My guess is it's also oil less, which means it's loud as hell and takes (literally) about 5 min to go from 0psi to 110 psi. I hope this thing was free because it will be a big disappointment if you paid any money, trust me I found out the hard way.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 07:57:39 AM »
I have the same compressor. Its only good for air nailers, inflating tiers, using a blow gun, and light use of a cutter wheel. It will never keep up with a blast cabinet.

My guess is it's also oil less, which means it's loud as hell and takes (literally) about 5 min to go from 0psi to 110 psi. I hope this thing was free because it will be a big disappointment if you paid any money, trust me I found out the hard way.
My pancake compressor can keep up with most of that stuff. It won’t handle the die grinder. Fortunately, I haven’t committed to buying it yet. You are correct, it’s oil less.

So what compressor do I need that doesn’t run on 3-phase that will handle the blast cabinet?

Offline oldnslo

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 11:03:22 AM »
The requirements for HF blast cabinets are benchtop 10CFM@100psi and floor cabinet 9.5CFM@90psi but a working pressure of 125psi.
You don't need a 3ph compressor but a 240V 1ph will give you more than enough air to do whatever you want but it won't be cheap. Every oil less compressor I have heard run is obnoxiously loud. You can get more run time on air tools with more air storage capacity but with a small compressor it will take time to build the pressure back up to a usable level.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 11:07:21 AM »
The requirements for HF blast cabinets are benchtop 10CFM@100psi and floor cabinet 9.5CFM@90psi but a working pressure of 125psi.
You don't need a 3ph compressor but a 240V 1ph will give you more than enough air to do whatever you want but it won't be cheap. Every oil less compressor I have heard run is obnoxiously loud. You can get more run time on air tools with more air storage capacity but with a small compressor it will take time to build the pressure back up to a usable level.
The problem is that I don’t have 240v power to run something bigger. I might have to resort to gas powered.

Offline daves_not_here

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 03:07:52 AM »
A semi-apt analogy is: garages/shops are NEVER big enough, and neither are compressors.

Get the biggest one you can afford, 2-stage oiled, preferably.

The oil-less ones like mine (30 gallon CH) are basically useless when you decide you need to start using minor tools such as die grinders; air files; grinder/buffers; air ratchets/guns, etc. Blast cabs and the like need WAY more air.

You can use them for those tools if you don't mind using them for a minute or 2 and then waiting for the air to build back up enough to run 'em. I'm an impatient bastard, myself.  :))

YMMV - from a guy who doesn't even HAVE a garage.
David

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 06:29:40 PM »
A semi-apt analogy is: garages/shops are NEVER big enough, and neither are compressors.

Get the biggest one you can afford, 2-stage oiled, preferably.

I pulled the trigger on the best Sears Craftsman Professional many years ago when I had my garage built.  220v, 80 gal, 175psi 2-stage and have never need more.

Get the most you can afford and have the room to install.  I see many reviews for air items that complain about their performance when it is more about the air capacity (CFM) of their compressor.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 06:45:29 PM »
This one runs on 120v and has a twin cylinder single stage pump delivering 6.2 CFM at 90PSI. That is about as good as it gets for a 120v single stage unit. I have a similar Lowes version running in my machine shop, and have on rare occasions used it with my blast cabinet. Not optimal, but it does work, because you only have a few minutes of blasting time before the compressor needs to catch up again.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-30-Gal-175-PSI-Oil-Lubed-Belt-Drive-Portable-Vertical-Electric-Air-Compressor-C304H/312074155

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2020, 06:54:40 PM »
That’s a better price than the CH compressor I was looking at. I don’t usually shop at HD. Do they offer extended warranties?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2020, 06:58:00 PM »
That’s a better price than the CH compressor I was looking at. I don’t usually shop at HD. Do they offer extended warranties?

No idea on warranties, but I venture to guess that they do.
The HD compressor is probably a CH manufactured unit. HD's Husky brand of compressors have been manufactured by CH for decades.