Author Topic: Haynes vs Chilton’s manuals  (Read 3162 times)

Offline m_fumich

Haynes vs Chilton’s manuals
« on: August 21, 2020, 01:01:51 PM »
Why are both of these manuals published? I recently purchased both on eBay. They were being sold together. I figured the Chilton’s might give me a bit more information the Haynes didn’t. They’re identical. Every word of instruction is the same in both down to every comma and parentheses. Even the pictures are identical. Why bullish the same book under two names?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Re: Haynes vs Chilton’s manuals
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 02:14:16 PM »
Maybe they're the same now, but I seem to remember for the older vehicles the manuals were different.
boop/bop/beep

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 03:57:31 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if both publishing houses were owned by the same capital holdings company.

Don't be in competition - buy the competition! It's happening more and more these days.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 04:05:54 PM »
You can't really publish a technical/mechanical service manual for modern cars these days. The amount of information would fill most of a closet if it were printed out on standard size paper. Hence, these Chilton/Haynes manuals are just a remnant of a bygone age. I consider them nothing more of a modern enhanced user/owners manual.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 04:09:33 PM »
Maybe they're the same now, but I seem to remember for the older vehicles the manuals were different.

Yes they were different. In the good old days Haynes traditionally had better service manuals for the foreign car market, while Chilton excelled with domestic brands.

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 04:55:29 PM »
I have a subscription with ALLData. While their layout and organization is different from GM's OEM, the diagnostics are word for word, and electrical schematics as well.

At least for the engine/powertrain controls sections for the cars we own. 2004 Yukon, 2012 Equinox, 2013 Sierra, and 2016 Encore.

Those are the sections (2016 excluded) my group wrote, before I retired.

IIRC - GM sold the rights to re-publish the service information, as well as OBD II scan tool data.

"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 05:36:02 PM »
You can't really publish a technical/mechanical service manual for modern cars these days. The amount of information would fill most of a closet if it were printed out on standard size paper. Hence, these Chilton/Haynes manuals are just a remnant of a bygone age. I consider them nothing more of a modern enhanced user/owners manual.

I don't think anyone publishes treeware service manuals these days at the pro level. OE and aftermarket have all gone electronic AFAIK. Too much information, a lot of it model year specific, to fit into a book less than an inch thick which is supposed to cover an entire model generation.

Yes they were different. In the good old days Haynes traditionally had better service manuals for the foreign car market, while Chilton excelled with domestic brands.

Chilton were a US company and Haynes were UK based.

Offline m_fumich

Haynes vs Chilton’s manuals
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 09:15:18 AM »
Guess what it says on the first page of the Chilton manual.

Chilton Automotive Books
Published by Haynes North America.

It does appear the two have become one. So the question still stands. Why publish 2 books of identical content and sell them in the same market competing for the same customers? It would make sense if Haynes was only sold in the US and Chilton was sold in the UK. I guess I’d know if I had an MBA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 03:02:45 PM by m_fumich »

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 11:44:18 AM »
So the question still stands. Why publish 2 books of identical content and sell them in the same market competing for the same customers?

You at least partly answered that question in your opening post. Some people will buy both hoping they're different.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2020, 03:30:02 PM »
So the question still stands. Why publish 2 books of identical content and sell them in the same market competing for the same customers?

You at least partly answered that question in your opening post. Some people will buy both hoping they're different.

With vehicles I had in the past I found that the Chilton's manual was easier to use and understand with better pictures. But since they are both part of the same company and are the same except for the name it doesn't make much difference now. I learned to decipher the British car part terminology with a Haynes manual.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2020, 05:52:30 PM »
I learned to decipher the British car part terminology with a Haynes manual.

IIRC they put a page of "translations" in some of the manuals.