Author Topic: Amazon has invaded  (Read 4998 times)

Offline Heiny57

Amazon has invaded
« on: August 26, 2020, 10:02:52 AM »
Apparently Franklin Tn was one of Amazons test cities for its robot delivery tests. And apparently my neighborhood is one of the lucky test tubes. The wife is amused daily by these little robots traveling up and down our sidewalks with their trainers following them. This has been going on more than a month and these things aren’t getting any smarter. They seem to get stumped at every crosswalk and turns in the sidewalks, that they had just passed down earlier. I think we trained our dog to stay in our yard faster than this.
Anyway, technology can be amusing if not helpful.  :D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 05:05:07 PM by Heiny57 »
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Amazon has invaded
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 10:11:50 AM »
We've had those little guys on our local university campus for over two years. I'm always amazed what a bunch of drunk and innovative college students can do to those things after a rowdy weekend of partying. Those bots live a rough life on campus, and I can only imagine what they will look like after a year of service in some neighborhoods.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 12:17:45 PM »
Porch pirates going to love those

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 12:31:33 PM »
I don't see the advantage of the robots as a human can deliver the packages more efficiently.

Offline Andrewhr

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 01:05:41 PM »
I imagine robots dont expect a salary

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 01:51:45 PM »

I would like to see the bottom line on what it costs to build and maintain the robots along with their needed infrastructure. They still won't be as efficient as a human who can deliver more packages in the same amount of time.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 05:15:47 PM »
5 years from now we won't be able to live without it.

Exaggeration for sure but 5 years down the road will be unrecognizable technology wise

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 05:55:42 PM »
I would think the attraction is smaller packages could be (in theory) delivered quickly and humans could be freeded up for bigger or more complicated deliveries. I wonder what happens if no one is home to accept the package. As I understand it the accepting party is photographed at the time of transfer which eliminates the I never got it ruse. But that also brings about privacy concerns.

Personally I am not impressed and not anxious to see them in my neighborhood. I see them as a pedestrian and traffic hazard at best. Inclement weather could be problematic.

I know when I was an idiot teenager my friends and I would find something like that an irresistible object of much mischief.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 07:37:59 PM »
What happened the Amazon's drone delivery system? I thought that was the next big thing?

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 07:51:37 PM »
The crack heads will have can openers ready, won`t last a mile.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 07:01:01 AM »
It's ridiculous dodging and waiting on more crap to get out of the way. Has anyone given any thought as to how shit like this crosses an intersection?

Robots might be good inside of a building, but moronic as hell to think. Something like this running the neighbor is some kind of a good idea.

1776 ................... what happened!

Offline highland512

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2020, 08:49:49 AM »

I would like to see the bottom line on what it costs to build and maintain the robots along with their needed infrastructure. They still won't be as efficient as a human who can deliver more packages in the same amount of time.

They might not be as efficient yet but give it 10 years. Robots are never sick, distracted by last night happenings, get hurt on the job and sue, steal, show up late or leave early, and have a constant and predictable production rate. These will be wide spread in safe low crime developed ares.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2020, 08:52:39 AM »

They might not be as efficient yet but give it 10 years. Robots are never sick, distracted by last night happenings, get hurt on the job and sue, steal, show up late or leave early, and have a constant and predictable production rate. These will be wide spread in safe low crime developed ares.

Heck, they'll probably get stolen and then modified to distribute crack.  :lol_hitting:

They'd be anonymous, unsuspecting, and even if caught - who would they prosecute?

Offline highland512

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2020, 08:53:58 AM »

Heck, they'll probably get stolen and then modified to distribute crack.  :lol_hitting:

They'd be anonymous, unsuspecting, and even if caught - who would they prosecute?

Would that be called a rock bot?

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2020, 09:25:43 AM »

Yeah but wait till they become self aware :lol_hitting: