Author Topic: Well, my Toyota got totalled!  (Read 15601 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: Well, my Toyota got totalled!
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2018, 04:27:30 AM »
Several times we have had cars totaled that were hit in an accident where the other driver was at fault and no one was hurt. I must admit every time the car was a high miler and we walked away with more money than if I had tried to sell it outright. In a sense you might count yourself lucky if you come out good on the buyout of your truck.

You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2018, 09:50:41 AM »
OK, I've deleted the depressing pics, and will leave up one of the few pictures I have of the Toyota as I want to remember it. This is from 2013.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 01:19:15 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2018, 10:00:05 AM »
Several times we have had cars totaled that were hit in an accident where the other driver was at fault and no one was hurt. I must admit every time the car was a high miler and we walked away with more money than if I had tried to sell it outright. In a sense you might count yourself lucky if you come out good on the buyout of your truck.

Thanks for the encouragement, UB. I'm very blessed to have walked away from such a crash, only time will tell if any hidden injury reveals themselves.
As far as the truck is concerned, it is what it is. I had it for almost 30 years, and it was a great truck. But it was getting up there, and I have begun to miss not having automatic and A/C. So, it's a bittersweet loss thing.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 10:02:08 AM by bonneyman »

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2018, 11:24:52 AM »
that sucks. that was nice clean, straight truck for the age.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2018, 05:27:39 PM »

This is truth. Its hard to replace simple, reliable transportation. Especially a work truck. After a few years they are either beat to death or they're overpriced creampuffs. I recently was in the market for a truck. the newer used trucks were just a grand or two less than brand new.
My old DD was a 98 2500GM with 260K. it wasn't on CL 1 day and my phone was running over. Sold it 1st day for cash, what I wanted for it too. I really expected to have trouble selling it but the  guy buying it was an old dude that needed a good work truck. With all the flooding around here the past year he was scared to buy anything that wasn't a one owner deal.

Offline TWX

• What's wrong with being sexy?
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2018, 06:07:12 PM »

This is truth. Its hard to replace simple, reliable transportation. Especially a work truck. After a few years they are either beat to death or they're overpriced creampuffs. I recently was in the market for a truck. the newer used trucks were just a grand or two less than brand new.
My old DD was a 98 2500GM with 260K. it wasn't on CL 1 day and my phone was running over. Sold it 1st day for cash, what I wanted for it too. I really expected to have trouble selling it but the  guy buying it was an old dude that needed a good work truck. With all the flooding around here the past year he was scared to buy anything that wasn't a one owner deal.

That's part why I bought the '15 Nissan Frontier.  I had other Nissans before but my choice was based on price and design more than it was on brand-loyalty.  In short, the D40 chassis debuted on the Frontier for the '05 model year and is still being built for model year '19, the only major revision was an almost unnoticeable front bumper and grille change for either 2009 or 2010 (similar to when the Dodge Dakota went from flat-front to curve-front in '90 or '91), basically the interior, suspension, powertrain, sheet metal, etc, all the same.  It was also literally the cheapest crew cab 4x4 with a 6' bed on the market, and the base models are also the cheapest trucks in their relative configuration available.  Plus the radio is not integral into the body control module, it can be replaced or upgraded without affecting how the vehicle works.

And apparently it still gets good reviews when tested against other trucks.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2018, 06:33:28 PM »

That's part why I bought the '15 Nissan Frontier.  I had other Nissans before but my choice was based on price and design more than it was on brand-loyalty.  In short, the D40 chassis debuted on the Frontier for the '05 model year and is still being built for model year '19, the only major revision was an almost unnoticeable front bumper and grille change for either 2009 or 2010 (similar to when the Dodge Dakota went from flat-front to curve-front in '90 or '91), basically the interior, suspension, powertrain, sheet metal, etc, all the same.  It was also literally the cheapest crew cab 4x4 with a 6' bed on the market, and the base models are also the cheapest trucks in their relative configuration available.  Plus the radio is not integral into the body control module, it can be replaced or upgraded without affecting how the vehicle works.

And apparently it still gets good reviews when tested against other trucks.

Yes -- the Nissan Frontier is becoming the "contractor special" by default because it's the only platform that you can still get in basic stripped down trim. Many small contractors use that truck around here.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2018, 11:39:20 PM »
Thanks for the pics, George.  From the passenger side angle, you can't even tell anything!
boop/bop/beep

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2018, 01:20:30 PM »
Thanks for the pics, George.  From the passenger side angle, you can't even tell anything!

That's actually an older pic when I used it to haul an evap cooler for a friend.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2018, 08:07:34 PM »

That's actually an older pic when I used it to haul an evap cooler for a friend.

Ah, gotcha.  Very nice truck.
boop/bop/beep

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2018, 08:13:13 PM »

Ah, gotcha.  Very nice truck.

Thanks! Good pic to remember it by.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2018, 10:49:55 PM »
Well, gents, the deed is done. Turned the title over to the insurance company today, and they handed me a check. My truck is now gone. I'm not in the market to replace it, probably not anytime soon.
Gonna take a while to gut used to the empty spot in the garage. :'(

Offline Rewind

• Howdy Folks!
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2018, 09:18:39 AM »
I feel your pain.
Hanging in, Hanging on, Hanging out!

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2018, 08:35:50 PM »
bman,

As a vintage Toyota truck owner & fan, I feel your pain :'(

You had one of the nicest and best preserved examples I've seen.  So sad...

When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2018, 09:06:04 PM »
bman,

As a vintage Toyota truck owner & fan, I feel your pain :'(

You had one of the nicest and best preserved examples I've seen.  So sad...

Thanks Gary. I went through my shop, and gathered together all the parts, antifreeze, oil, and odds and ends I've accumulated over the years for it. I donated them to the mechanic who put in the rebuilt engine. He's done alot of freebies for me over the past 3 years. Figured it was only fair, and I didn't want that stuff popping out for months every time I moved something on a shelf.