Author Topic: ...and so it begins!  (Read 11931 times)

Offline walrus

Re: ...and so it begins!
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2021, 05:18:31 AM »
Keep the mini split indoor filters clean, its easy to forget. Nice looking shop, brickwork looks great. Can't wait to see the Jaq in there :)

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2021, 09:58:04 AM »
Very nice Ray.

I found after having mine built that you can never have too many outlets.

Definitely.  That's one thing you don't want to cheap out on.
boop/bop/beep

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2021, 10:29:37 AM »
Very nice Ray.

I found after having mine built that you can never have too many outlets.

Definitely.  That's one thing you don't want to cheap out on.

Yes, thanks for the advice guys. I've made sure that there are plenty of 240V and 120V outlets at workbench height all around the perimeter of the garage. I also have a separate 100A line for connecting my old and trusty 1970s vintage Miller Dialarc HF TIG Welder. That thing spins the meter, and needs a dedicated high amp circuit to use it at max power.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2021, 03:31:18 PM »
That is great how you set it up. I wanted more than 100A to our shop but that was all we could tap into from the main power to the house. I inquired about upgrading to 400A service but I would have had to pay for all the costs including the transformer and it couldn't be done right away. Plus once I had paid for it the neighbors would be free to tap into it also.
We also pulled 70A from the house down to the barn. That circuit had served the spa in the back deck but the previous owners took it with them when they lost the house.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
...and so it begins!
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2021, 10:06:42 AM »
As of yesterday all my tools and equipment have now been moved to the new garage. What a mess. It’ll take at least two months to get everything organized and straightened up. Hopefully I’ll be able to work in there by Christmas.

Itll be nice working in a heated and cooled space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 10:08:21 AM by goodfellow »

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2021, 11:08:17 AM »
woo-hoo

Congrats Ray, I know you are excited

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2021, 11:48:05 AM »
woo-hoo

Congrats Ray, I know you are excited

Thanks Phil!; excited --yes, but the daunting task of cleaning, unpacking, organizing and setting everything up is a little overwhelming (to say the least). For the next week I'll just leave all the crap where it is and just take a break for a few days. i have enough room to park my cars (just enough), and that's what's important. Next week the electrical hookup will go live and then the Mitsubishi mini-split AC/Heat pump can finally get completely installed and tested.

All I really have to do next week is go back and sign the settlement papers on the old house. It sold in less than three weeks and we settle next Thursday. It's been quite a journey for the past nine months. I need a vacation!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2021, 03:25:50 PM »
Congrats on the sale.  I can appreciate you needing break

Offline slip knot

« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2021, 08:44:53 PM »
I'd wait for the Ac to get fired before tackling it too. AC and heat is becoming a higher priority for me as the years add up.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2021, 04:10:35 PM »
Well -- I'm moved in and organizing. I do have a few problems to deal with. The most pressing problem was time. Our old house sold so fast that my contractor was really up  against the wall to finish the drywall and electrical work so that I could move all my tools and equipment. Unfortunately we didn't have enough time to schedule the painting. Hence the garage has no paint -- yet. We'll paint once everything is in place and settled. right now the place is a mess, but I make it a point to get out there and empty a few boxes and organize the junk everyday. Slowly but surely --

« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 04:14:37 PM by goodfellow »

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2021, 05:41:50 PM »
I see you have a reminder not to walk out that side door!   :))
boop/bop/beep

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
...and so it begins!
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2021, 05:57:01 PM »
I see you have a reminder not to walk out that side door!   :))
Absolutely - LOL. Next spring I plan to add a deck and rectify the problem. That side faces the lake, and it will be nice just sitting out there to enjoy the view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2021, 08:32:52 PM »
I was just going to ask if you were doing a deck there.

Should be a nice cigar platform.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline slip knot

« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2021, 09:15:10 PM »
Thats pretty nice shop but dang it filled up fast. :lol_hitting: Really envious of the mini split.

Where you gonna put the pop up tent spray booth at???  :lol_hitting:

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2021, 07:26:35 AM »
Thats pretty nice shop but dang it filled up fast. :lol_hitting: Really envious of the mini split.

Where you gonna put the pop up tent spray booth at???  :lol_hitting:

Yeah, painting will have to be done again with a portable garage. I thought about it a lot. Maybe incorporating some drop down curtain design into the new garage, but the fact is I only have about 1000 sq/ft to work with on the main floor, and that's not much. So the easiest way is to set up a quick and efficient painting solution using the HF portable garage idea again; just like I did at the old house. This time though I have a nice concrete driveway next to the existing two-car garage that is attached to the house. It's a perfect place for a HF portable structure to do painting when the time comes.

I wish I could have added one more bay to the garage design, but the local HOA and the county were against that idea. Oh well, I'm happy to have what I have -- and at my age, this will do just fine.