Author Topic: On The Other Hand....  (Read 1321 times)

Online muddy

On The Other Hand....
« on: September 07, 2023, 08:33:24 PM »
One of my favorite Randy Travis songs...

Anyway to the real point. Coworker and I were talking and it was brought up that I still wore my wedding ring (or band as it's often called) . We all know the dangers of having a metal ring on your finger as a mechanic.

My real question is... some of my friends have silicone bands they were in place of their ring while working. (Although my titanium ring has saved from smashed fingers on occasion.).

Here's the question do you guys think that's fair to the marriage? I totally get wearing a ring that isn't going to tear your finger off if caught on on something or short out on an alternator.

But on the other hand to me the ring you put on when you made that promise is a real symbol of the love and union you made that day and should stay in forever. Part of our ceremony the pastor blesses the ring and all.

I'm guessing I'm just putting to much thought into as usual. But I've never seen my father take his off in 40 yrs of marriage until the recent car accident where they had to cut it.

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline john k

Re: On The Other Hand....
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2023, 10:06:03 PM »
I wore my ring for just a few years until arthritis swelled the knuckle, making it impossible to get on.  Resizing it would have ruined the engraving.  Never worse it in the shop, always felt it was too dangerous.  My father wore his when he put on his suit which was to church, or to eat out.  On the farm, with barbed wire, machinery, and livestock, he felt it was no place for jewelry.  Not having a ring finger ranks higher that displaying the band. 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2023, 11:20:40 PM »
I wore my ring for just a few years until arthritis swelled the knuckle, making it impossible to get on.  Resizing it would have ruined the engraving.  Never worse it in the shop, always felt it was too dangerous.  My father wore his when he put on his suit which was to church, or to eat out.  On the farm, with barbed wire, machinery, and livestock, he felt it was no place for jewelry.  Not having a ring finger ranks higher that displaying the band.

I had the exact same thing happen to me! haven't worn the wedding ring in 5-6 years now.

Online Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2023, 12:59:11 AM »
Going on six years of marriage next month.  I rarely wear the ring.  I will wear it to work or if I'm going out with the family, but when I get home I put it away.  I'm always getting dirty in the yard or garage and I don't want to have it on or have to take it off and set it down somewhere it doesn't belong.  I really like the ring and want to keep it in nice shape. 

The wife and I talked about a silicone band, but that was before the little one came along.  Like most things not pertaining to her, it was forgotten mostly.   :))
boop/bop/beep

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2023, 11:07:21 AM »
i go in streaks. if i feel that i am not doing things that will endanger it  or my finger i will wear it.  after 30 plus years my ring was heavily worn and the small stone fell out. we spent a few hundred bucks fixing it up last year so i am a little more careful with it now. i have 2 of my fathers rings i wear on occasion as well but never more than one on each hand.  O0

the mrs understands the dangers and will often tell me to take them off if i forget. she likes my hands and rings in their current condition and prefers to keep all of them intact, understanding that sometimes they need to be seperated to stay that way.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2023, 12:13:51 PM »
As a ground comm technician in the USAF and later as an airborne technician we had better not be caught working on a piece of equipment or be on the aircraft wearing a ring.  The habit of removing my ring when I work on anything is ingrained in my head and is now routine.

Emphasizing the safety aspect...  A good friend of mine when I was stationed in Oklahoma slipped when climbing down a tree stand and caught his ring on something tearing the finger nearly completely off.  He now has three fingers on his left hand.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 06:21:13 AM by stokester »
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2023, 07:58:04 PM »
I worked in factories, then construction. I have seen to many safety videos and met three fingered people to wear a ring at work. My wife understood the risks and never pushed me to wear one. After 39 years maybe she just doesn’t care.  :))
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2023, 08:06:32 PM »
I've never been one to wear jewellry.  Always hated wearing watches for that matter.  I wore my wedding band for about a week onboard ship, until I was going down a ladder and the ring hung up on a hatchcombing.  I was going down pretty quickly but was able to stop myself before I did anything more than just tweak the finger a bit.  The ring came off then, and then only wore it on special occasions.  It doesn't fit anymore, but then neither does my wife's.  I guess we'll need to get them resized eventually.

The ring is a symbol, but the dedication and commitment comes from the heart and the emotions.  They should remain strong with or without the symbolic piece.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2023, 08:38:19 AM »
I wore mine all the time but when I was working around high voltage I started to leave it at home. One day a guy moving some equipment into the lab crushed his ring between a cabinet and a wall. The results were not pretty so that solidified not wearing it at work.

I do wear it when we go out but I've never been one for jewelry so even when I wore it all the time I never got used to it.

I think the silicon is a great work alternative and save the real one for safer activities. After all it's not that specific piece of metal it's the symbol and wearing a work safe alternative is a reasonable compromise. With or without the ring I'm still married and behave accordingly.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2023, 06:32:34 PM »
Caught my ring on a door and hurt like heck.  Likely just a few years into marriage.  Never wore it for work since.  Doesn't fit anymore.

Tim, either get the silicone ring or get the ring tattooed on your finger and get the pastor to bless it too. 

The union was blessed, not the hardware.  God looks at the heart not the outward appearance. 

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2023, 10:12:16 PM »
amen, phil!
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2023, 08:30:58 AM »
I lost the original one fairly early on so we replaced with a much less expensive unit. I don't wear it much unless we are going out to dinner or something like that. Never to work it out to the garage. Too much down side for that.
Rich

Online muddy

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2023, 08:44:54 PM »
Well you guys convinced me. I ordered one up! Should have it in about a week.

I figured the finger next to it only half works I should really start looking out for the others as well!

Online muddy

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2023, 09:38:40 AM »
Well I first picked out this one. After about a week, it's just a bit too big. So I'm going to exchange it for the next size down. Also going to try a different color. This one isn't growing on me.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2023, 10:26:59 AM »
Two rings, isn't that bigamy :))

Hope Mandy doesn't find out :-\