Author Topic: Educate me on Ford and Chevy pickups  (Read 9434 times)

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Educate me on Ford and Chevy pickups
« on: May 22, 2019, 08:40:42 PM »
I'm planning on upgrading to a larger pickup from the four cylinder Nissan Frontier pickup I currently have.  I'm leaning towards an F150 or Chevy pickup, approx 8-15 years old.  One that can pull a small to midsize travel trailer easily.  I want an extended cab pickup but not a four door one.  Not sure about a 6 or 8 cylinder.  Was thinking about finding something with around 150K miles. 

Anyways, I'm not very knowledgeable about these trucks in general so I'd appreciate any information you guys can give me.  Anything to look out for and any recommendations either way.  I feel I should be able to get one in pretty nice shape as the weather here is very easy on vehicles.
boop/bop/beep

Offline Heiny57

Re: Educate me on Ford and Chevy pickups
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 09:29:15 PM »
I can help you with both truck and trailer info as I have had both. Let me get back with you.👍🏼
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline Plomb-er

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 10:03:05 PM »
Sounds like you are in the market for a either an F-150 or a Silverado 1500, both should suit your towing needs.  I am a Ford guy, almost always have had Fords, and have had great luck with them.  I currently have a '07 F-150 with almost 270,000 miles on it.  I bought the truck used from a Ford dealer in June '11 with 51,XXX miles.   I have the 5.4 in my truck, and it's been a great engine, it still gets good mileage, runs quiet, no issues.  I have replaced the radiator, alternator, transmission, front wheel bearings several times, and a cam when I went too long between oil changes.  With that being said, the 5.4 needs to be maintained religiously.  They do have some issues with cam phasers acting up, and that can be a costly job.  Knock on wood, I haven't had that issue.
The 4.6 V8 in these trucks don't quite have the same issues, as the 5.4, so that might be something to look at.  The V6 trucks are a bit gutless in these trucks, and I would steer clear of them, especially if you want to do towing.
I think either truck will do well for you, just try, of course, to try and find one that was well cared for.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 04:31:56 AM »
I agree on avoiding the v6's.  Not enough power and not much better mileage.   I would likely buy based on drivetrain reviews as either should serve you well though the chevy will ride and drive better imo.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 07:25:31 AM »
 Plomb-er
Makes some good points, either an F-150 or a Silverado 1500. Yes V8 most definitely, small motors wear and burn more fuel trying to do the work of a V8.
Own a 99 bought it new pushing 150k, trailered my 34 several times to Daytona. It did not notice the extra load.

Trucks as a whole, get less fuel mileage, it is in the DNA, hi gear ratios fore pulling and loads .
Not tearable same as an SUV at the very least, probable better mile for mile, and a better work vehicle. Oh,  stay with a stock suspension & tires .

You will be glad with your truck upgrade, whatever way you go. For sure have a code reader run before plunking down the cash.

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline highland512

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 08:05:59 AM »
Full disclosure I am a Ford fanboy.

Between my wife and I we have 3 Ford trucks. She has a 2013 F-150 with the 3.5 ecoboost, we bought it used in 2015 with 6,700 miles on it. It now has 110,000 and runs as good as ever, I love that little v6 with its twin turbos. My cousin has the same truck with the 6.2 v8 and our ecoboost can run circles around the 6.2. Plenty of power to pull my 18' 14k trailer with a 6,000lb tractor loaded. Many people grumble about these boosted v6 engines in truck but I will buy another when its time to let this one go.

I have 97 F250 and 04 F350, both are diesels. The 97 has 396,000 and runs like a champ. The 04 has 212,000 and runs like a champ, it has the 6.0 diesel that everyone is scarred to death of but from my experience for little reason. The 6.0 can be bought very reasonably these day and with $2,000-$4,000 can be made just as if not better than the 7.3.

The company I work for is exclusively Chevy for company trucks. I admit they ride nice, are quite, and have good power. We have also been replacing transmissions like crazy. One of my superintendents had a 2015 1500 that had 120,000 miles on it, it had 3 transmissions in that 120,000 and he pulls a trailer maybe twice a year. The same thing is happening across the company's 30 something trucks. Last month 3 transmissions where replaced, somethings not right here.   

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 09:13:08 AM »
Why no love for Dodge? I can vouch for the new F150 four doors having good amount of room in the back seats.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 12:44:37 PM »
I have a 2005 F150 SuperCab with the 5.4 Triton and only about 120k on the odometer (lots of miles on motorcycles).  When choosing the F150 over the Silverado we liked it because it was quieter and had disc brakes on the rear while the Chevy still used drum.

In that time I've replaced the alternator, pinion seal, one front caliper, both front window regulators and all four rotors.  On mine the front wheel bearing is part of the rotor, I think this may have been changed to a hub bearing on later models.

The only real issue I am aware of is because of the head and spark plug design that if you wait until the 100k recommended interval to replace your plugs chances some will seize and break in the head.  I replaced mine at about 90k and had two break, fortunately there is Lisle tool that will extract the tip.  I think there was a class action settlement with Ford allowing a claim for labor costs to remove broken plugs.  There are YouTube videos and many documents online about this.

Good truck, has never burned any oil and mine has the towing package that I use for a small travel and a utility trailer.

During my time at the Chevy shop I don't remember that there were any frequent issues with the Silverados.  I did replace quite a number of hub bearings and the vent valves in the EVAP system which would fail because of debris or insects.

Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 05:37:50 PM »
I am also a ford guy, pulled my first camper that weighed 6300 with a 2010 4.6 3 valve engine and it was all it could take. To much down shifting on small grades and Mt Eagle was white knuckle. But it all depends on how big a trailer you are getting. The trailer salesman will try and convince you that you can max your limits and sell you more trailer. BS....I sold my trailer and down sized to a 4500 and it was a night and day difference. I bought a new truck last year with the 2.9 eco boost and it pulls even better than the 4.6.  I know you said you don’t want  4 door but the added weight helps stabilize the rig better in cross winds. They also have higher tow rates and you will have a better chance of finding one with factory tow package and lower rear gear ratio. 3:55 or 3:73 would be good.  And when I downsized I went from 28 ft to a 24 ft and it didn’t jerk the truck as much over dips or high winds.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 07:27:12 PM by Heiny57 »
MAGA

Offline slip knot

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 06:03:11 PM »
Why no love for Dodge? I can vouch for the new F150 four doors having good amount of room in the back seats.

2 of my employees have bought Dodge trucks in the past 5-7 yrs and they've both had new motors put in them. one had some vavlvetrain issues and one was the crankshaft crapped out. it took one of them 90days to get his truck back. I've had several dodges in the past and currently have 2 in my fleet and we wont be getting another.

I've driven all three brands and the Chevys always drove the best. the Fords were pretty rugged but you felt it. TheDodges pulled really well but the fell apart cab wise. My 98 currently has very little dash left in it. I've driven 3/4 tons for the past 30+ yrs and none of them got very good mileage. 15 was good for me.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 06:43:05 PM »
Full disclosure I am a Ford fanboy.

Between my wife and I we have 3 Ford trucks. She has a 2013 F-150 with the 3.5 ecoboost, we bought it used in 2015 with 6,700 miles on it. It now has 110,000 and runs as good as ever, I love that little v6 with its twin turbos. My cousin has the same truck with the 6.2 v8 and our ecoboost can run circles around the 6.2. Plenty of power to pull my 18' 14k trailer with a 6,000lb tractor loaded. Many people grumble about these boosted v6 engines in truck but I will buy another when its time to let this one go.

I have 97 F250 and 04 F350, both are diesels. The 97 has 396,000 and runs like a champ. The 04 has 212,000 and runs like a champ, it has the 6.0 diesel that everyone is scarred to death of but from my experience for little reason. The 6.0 can be bought very reasonably these day and with $2,000-$4,000 can be made just as if not better than the 7.3.

The company I work for is exclusively Chevy for company trucks. I admit they ride nice, are quite, and have good power. We have also been replacing transmissions like crazy. One of my superintendents had a 2015 1500 that had 120,000 miles on it, it had 3 transmissions in that 120,000 and he pulls a trailer maybe twice a year. The same thing is happening across the company's 30 something trucks. Last month 3 transmissions where replaced, somethings not right here.   

Face it, they are machines and all will brake. 
Turbos, I can tell you this a friend had a dump truck Pete

7 years owned, least reliable component ............ turbo.

@stokester

" When choosing the F150 over the Silverado we liked it because it was quieter and had disc brakes on the rear while the Chevy still used drum."  Really :-\ I guess my 99 is the futuristic model?
Need to check your facts or take the we out of truck buying O0

Speaking as one who drove company cars for 30 years. I can tell you this, most abuse the hell out of anything they are not paying for.

So work trucks are useless as a bench mark.

Dodge trucks ......... just ugly  :D like most of the 2000 & up whatever's. Dodge trucks just stated sooner.

Pep

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 06:52:47 PM »
@PEP
" When choosing the F150 over the Silverado we liked it because it was quieter and had disc brakes on the rear while the Chevy still used drum."  Really :-\ I guess my 99 is the futuristic model?

-------------------------------------------

In 2005 my wife and I went from the Ford to the Chevy dealer on the same day to drive an extended cab 1500 Silverado.  The Ford had rear discs and the Chevy we drove had drum.  Were they available as an option?  Probably but that was the model in the same trim/price range.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 06:55:50 PM by stokester »
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 07:31:12 PM »
A great site for travel trailers is RV.net
MAGA

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 07:49:11 PM »
F150`s rule the world. nuff said.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 09:10:41 PM »
I agree, I run 200 thousand miles on them and change front brakes at 150 k and then change rears at 190000 . I drive and don’t stop much.  :))
MAGA

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2019, 09:43:02 PM »
I'm no help as the last Ford I drove daily was a '55 F100.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2019, 10:05:11 PM »
My 97 is at 450450 and still going strong.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 10:13:12 PM »
@PEP

In 2005 my wife and I went from the Ford to the Chevy dealer on the same day to drive an extended cab 1500 Silverado.  The Ford had rear discs and the Chevy we drove had drum.  Were they available as an option? Probably but that was the model in the same trim/price range.

Not likely, makes no sense, maybe you mistook the emg brake hat on the face of the rotor as a drum brake.

Definitely no rear drum brakes on the 99s and up.

Pep

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 10:20:33 PM »
I'm no help as the last Ford I drove daily was a '55 F100.

No help here either, but it dose have rear drum brakes  :D

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 10:26:23 PM »
Thanks for all the input, guys.  Of course price will be a factor, but more importantly I want to get a truck to do everything I'll need it to do....and I'm still deciding what that will be.   ;D 

Heiny, we likely won't be going with anything bigger than 20' for our trailer.
boop/bop/beep

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2019, 05:07:34 AM »
Well heck, you could even tow that with a Dodge.   :))  :))  :)) ;D  ;D  ;D
MAGA

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2019, 05:55:59 AM »
@PEP

In 2005 my wife and I went from the Ford to the Chevy dealer on the same day to drive an extended cab 1500 Silverado.  The Ford had rear discs and the Chevy we drove had drum.  Were they available as an option? Probably but that was the model in the same trim/price range.

Not likely, makes no sense, maybe you mistook the emg brake hat on the face of the rotor as a drum brake.

Pep
Nope, GM changed back to drum for the 2005 MY because of issues with the rear disc system. In addition they upgraded the front rotors, calipers, brake booster and MC.   Don't know when they changed back.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2019, 07:06:21 AM »
@PEP

Pep
Nope, GM changed back to drum for the 2005 MY because of issues with the rear disc system. In addition they upgraded the front rotors, calipers, brake booster and MC.   Don't know when they changed back.

Well take my keyboard away from me, it is true ...... Another reason for not buying new and improved .

They GM, are building stuff like the hondas were, no consistency. Changing the platform on the fly. Man thats got to be good for the customers ........ not.

Now I understand why the vin number is being used when buying parts.

Cheers.
Pep
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 07:12:19 AM by pep »

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2019, 07:37:48 AM »
i have always driven gm trucks, chevy or gmc. never any major issues. last time we did a tranny was on an 81 that had been to hell and back.  i know guys that drive fords and fiats (sorry ram guys). those that take care of any pf them seem to have good luck and those that don't, well you get the idea. drive em all and get the one you like. i don't think there any real lemons in the bunch.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline highland512

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2019, 07:58:51 AM »

I always herd that a doge truck is just a sh!tty excuse for a shipping crate for a Cummins. Even most of the dodge drivers I know will tell you that the cabs fall apart, transmissions are notoriously bad, and there are many electric gremlins, but they got that Cummins motor  ::).

I have always thought it would be neat to build a truck. I have thought long and hard about converting a super duty with a zf6 manual transmission to be powered by a IH DT360, the original 5.9. 

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2019, 04:53:48 PM »
I'd loosen up my year range criteria, and opt for the Studebaker. Drum front and rear baby.....no automatic trans option, nor bluetooth connectivity. Armstrong power steering was standard.

Pure trucking experience....a real truck!

Offline walrus

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2019, 05:30:13 PM »
I'd look at a Tundra, I bought a used 2011 Tundra for my own vehicle, love it. Plenty of power, very comfortable.

I've bought many new 2500 and 3500hd GMC trucks for service trucks. I lost a tranny at 110,000 in one of them, thats it beside tires, brakes and evap emissions crap.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2019, 07:32:54 PM »
+1 on the Tundra. I can't chime in on the big truck situation since I only have smaller 4x4 Dakota, but suffice it to say that I know several friends and acquaintances that opted for the Tundra and the Nissan Titan. They are standard V8 powered and can cost much less than the BIG three comparable offerings. I myself am opting for a Titan next year.

Offline hofferwood

• It's all good
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2019, 07:55:00 PM »
I like my Dakota---'06----106,000  miles on her 4x4 with a  4.7 v-ape---lol

« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 07:57:21 PM by hofferwood »
If it aint broke----fix it till it is-----there's nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.

Offline muddy

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2019, 10:39:06 PM »

I always herd that a doge truck is just a sh!tty excuse for a shipping crate for a Cummins. Even most of the dodge drivers I know will tell you that the cabs fall apart, transmissions are notoriously bad, and there are many electric gremlins, but they got that Cummins motor  ::).

I have always thought it would be neat to build a truck. I have thought long and hard about converting a super duty with a zf6 manual transmission to be powered by a IH DT360, the original 5.9.
The body's rusting is true I can vouch for that :))

The interior and transmission issues is a second gen problem. 

Offline Plomb-er

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2019, 12:36:25 AM »
Chrysler, Dodge, Ram, Mopar, Fiay, whatever you want to call it, they are not known to be as mechanically sound as Ford or GM. Great looking trucks, yes, but mechanical reliability is what sells. I've known Chrysler products that have needed trannys replaced at 60,000 miles and less, emblems falling off, interior trim failing, all on well cared for vehicles that are only 5 years old or so.

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2019, 09:02:08 AM »
Chevy pickup, approx 8-15 years old.  One that can pull a small to midsize travel trailer easily.  I want an extended cab pickup but not a four door one.  Not sure about a 6 or 8 cylinder.  Was thinking about finding something with around 150K miles. 

8-15 years old spans two platforms, GMT800, and GMT900.  I have four GMT800 Trucks.  The GMT900s had first generation Active Fuel Management (Displacement on Demand), no personal experience, have heard of problems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMT800
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMT900

How much will your trailer weigh?  Half tons have the 4l60e trans. 3/4 tons have the 4l80e.  If your trailer (with your camping gear) weighs more than 4000, I recommend the 3/4 ton.

Get the 8 cylinder.  The LS engine is what makes this a great truck.  Most of the half tons had the 5.3l.  3/4 ton has the 6.0l, both great engines.

All of mine are well over 200k, the big block (8.1l not an LS) just passed 300k.  High Mileage is not an issue on these trucks.  Buy the one with the least amount of rust.  Bring a creeper and avoid rusty brake lines and rocker panels.  All mine have had the brake lines replaced due to rusting out.  This was the Achilles heel of the GMT800.  Not a huge problem, just the price of living in the rust belt.

A lot of the Fords had spark plugs that break and leave parts in the head.  Just one reason of many why the LS engine is far better.  IMO the best Gas V8 ever.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2020, 10:36:08 PM »
In my time in the shop a lot of high mile antiChryslers had rear diff problems.  Whining and clunking internally.

We did occasionally get wheel bearings in Chev stuff but not like a bad issue in the line.

The reason to buy the dodge is style and power.  But only in its first few years.  When heavy wear sets in everything goes to hell in a handbasket at the same time.

Stress cracks in the sheet metal, suspensions, trans, electric gremlins all travel together.

That said, if I wanted a cheap firewood hauler to beat up a used Dodge would be perfect.

Ford had goofy cab over engine details and Chev can have tricky automatic trans issues, I'd get whatever has a straight six and standard. 

Offline highland512

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2020, 07:40:26 AM »
In my time in the shop a lot of high mile antiChryslers had rear diff problems.  Whining and clunking internally.

We did occasionally get wheel bearings in Chev stuff but not like a bad issue in the line.

The reason to buy the dodge is style and power.  But only in its first few years.  When heavy wear sets in everything goes to hell in a handbasket at the same time.

Stress cracks in the sheet metal, suspensions, trans, electric gremlins all travel together.

That said, if I wanted a cheap firewood hauler to beat up a used Dodge would be perfect.

Ford had goofy cab over engine details and Chev can have tricky automatic trans issues, I'd get whatever has a straight six and standard.

Good luck with finding anything with a standard thats worth buying. The only reason I bought my current truck and the only reason I still have it is the ZF6. If ford offered the new 7.3 gas motor mated to a ZF6 I would have already bought one.