Author Topic: Educate me on Ford and Chevy pickups  (Read 9410 times)

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Educate me on Ford and Chevy pickups
« on: May 22, 2019, 08:40:42 PM »
I'm planning on upgrading to a larger pickup from the four cylinder Nissan Frontier pickup I currently have.  I'm leaning towards an F150 or Chevy pickup, approx 8-15 years old.  One that can pull a small to midsize travel trailer easily.  I want an extended cab pickup but not a four door one.  Not sure about a 6 or 8 cylinder.  Was thinking about finding something with around 150K miles. 

Anyways, I'm not very knowledgeable about these trucks in general so I'd appreciate any information you guys can give me.  Anything to look out for and any recommendations either way.  I feel I should be able to get one in pretty nice shape as the weather here is very easy on vehicles.
boop/bop/beep

Offline Heiny57

Re: Educate me on Ford and Chevy pickups
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 09:29:15 PM »
I can help you with both truck and trailer info as I have had both. Let me get back with you.👍🏼
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline Plomb-er

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 10:03:05 PM »
Sounds like you are in the market for a either an F-150 or a Silverado 1500, both should suit your towing needs.  I am a Ford guy, almost always have had Fords, and have had great luck with them.  I currently have a '07 F-150 with almost 270,000 miles on it.  I bought the truck used from a Ford dealer in June '11 with 51,XXX miles.   I have the 5.4 in my truck, and it's been a great engine, it still gets good mileage, runs quiet, no issues.  I have replaced the radiator, alternator, transmission, front wheel bearings several times, and a cam when I went too long between oil changes.  With that being said, the 5.4 needs to be maintained religiously.  They do have some issues with cam phasers acting up, and that can be a costly job.  Knock on wood, I haven't had that issue.
The 4.6 V8 in these trucks don't quite have the same issues, as the 5.4, so that might be something to look at.  The V6 trucks are a bit gutless in these trucks, and I would steer clear of them, especially if you want to do towing.
I think either truck will do well for you, just try, of course, to try and find one that was well cared for.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 04:31:56 AM »
I agree on avoiding the v6's.  Not enough power and not much better mileage.   I would likely buy based on drivetrain reviews as either should serve you well though the chevy will ride and drive better imo.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 07:25:31 AM »
 Plomb-er
Makes some good points, either an F-150 or a Silverado 1500. Yes V8 most definitely, small motors wear and burn more fuel trying to do the work of a V8.
Own a 99 bought it new pushing 150k, trailered my 34 several times to Daytona. It did not notice the extra load.

Trucks as a whole, get less fuel mileage, it is in the DNA, hi gear ratios fore pulling and loads .
Not tearable same as an SUV at the very least, probable better mile for mile, and a better work vehicle. Oh,  stay with a stock suspension & tires .

You will be glad with your truck upgrade, whatever way you go. For sure have a code reader run before plunking down the cash.

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline highland512

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 08:05:59 AM »
Full disclosure I am a Ford fanboy.

Between my wife and I we have 3 Ford trucks. She has a 2013 F-150 with the 3.5 ecoboost, we bought it used in 2015 with 6,700 miles on it. It now has 110,000 and runs as good as ever, I love that little v6 with its twin turbos. My cousin has the same truck with the 6.2 v8 and our ecoboost can run circles around the 6.2. Plenty of power to pull my 18' 14k trailer with a 6,000lb tractor loaded. Many people grumble about these boosted v6 engines in truck but I will buy another when its time to let this one go.

I have 97 F250 and 04 F350, both are diesels. The 97 has 396,000 and runs like a champ. The 04 has 212,000 and runs like a champ, it has the 6.0 diesel that everyone is scarred to death of but from my experience for little reason. The 6.0 can be bought very reasonably these day and with $2,000-$4,000 can be made just as if not better than the 7.3.

The company I work for is exclusively Chevy for company trucks. I admit they ride nice, are quite, and have good power. We have also been replacing transmissions like crazy. One of my superintendents had a 2015 1500 that had 120,000 miles on it, it had 3 transmissions in that 120,000 and he pulls a trailer maybe twice a year. The same thing is happening across the company's 30 something trucks. Last month 3 transmissions where replaced, somethings not right here.   

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 09:13:08 AM »
Why no love for Dodge? I can vouch for the new F150 four doors having good amount of room in the back seats.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 12:44:37 PM »
I have a 2005 F150 SuperCab with the 5.4 Triton and only about 120k on the odometer (lots of miles on motorcycles).  When choosing the F150 over the Silverado we liked it because it was quieter and had disc brakes on the rear while the Chevy still used drum.

In that time I've replaced the alternator, pinion seal, one front caliper, both front window regulators and all four rotors.  On mine the front wheel bearing is part of the rotor, I think this may have been changed to a hub bearing on later models.

The only real issue I am aware of is because of the head and spark plug design that if you wait until the 100k recommended interval to replace your plugs chances some will seize and break in the head.  I replaced mine at about 90k and had two break, fortunately there is Lisle tool that will extract the tip.  I think there was a class action settlement with Ford allowing a claim for labor costs to remove broken plugs.  There are YouTube videos and many documents online about this.

Good truck, has never burned any oil and mine has the towing package that I use for a small travel and a utility trailer.

During my time at the Chevy shop I don't remember that there were any frequent issues with the Silverados.  I did replace quite a number of hub bearings and the vent valves in the EVAP system which would fail because of debris or insects.

Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 05:37:50 PM »
I am also a ford guy, pulled my first camper that weighed 6300 with a 2010 4.6 3 valve engine and it was all it could take. To much down shifting on small grades and Mt Eagle was white knuckle. But it all depends on how big a trailer you are getting. The trailer salesman will try and convince you that you can max your limits and sell you more trailer. BS....I sold my trailer and down sized to a 4500 and it was a night and day difference. I bought a new truck last year with the 2.9 eco boost and it pulls even better than the 4.6.  I know you said you don’t want  4 door but the added weight helps stabilize the rig better in cross winds. They also have higher tow rates and you will have a better chance of finding one with factory tow package and lower rear gear ratio. 3:55 or 3:73 would be good.  And when I downsized I went from 28 ft to a 24 ft and it didn’t jerk the truck as much over dips or high winds.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 07:27:12 PM by Heiny57 »
MAGA

Offline slip knot

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 06:03:11 PM »
Why no love for Dodge? I can vouch for the new F150 four doors having good amount of room in the back seats.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

2 of my employees have bought Dodge trucks in the past 5-7 yrs and they've both had new motors put in them. one had some vavlvetrain issues and one was the crankshaft crapped out. it took one of them 90days to get his truck back. I've had several dodges in the past and currently have 2 in my fleet and we wont be getting another.

I've driven all three brands and the Chevys always drove the best. the Fords were pretty rugged but you felt it. TheDodges pulled really well but the fell apart cab wise. My 98 currently has very little dash left in it. I've driven 3/4 tons for the past 30+ yrs and none of them got very good mileage. 15 was good for me.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 06:43:05 PM »
Full disclosure I am a Ford fanboy.

Between my wife and I we have 3 Ford trucks. She has a 2013 F-150 with the 3.5 ecoboost, we bought it used in 2015 with 6,700 miles on it. It now has 110,000 and runs as good as ever, I love that little v6 with its twin turbos. My cousin has the same truck with the 6.2 v8 and our ecoboost can run circles around the 6.2. Plenty of power to pull my 18' 14k trailer with a 6,000lb tractor loaded. Many people grumble about these boosted v6 engines in truck but I will buy another when its time to let this one go.

I have 97 F250 and 04 F350, both are diesels. The 97 has 396,000 and runs like a champ. The 04 has 212,000 and runs like a champ, it has the 6.0 diesel that everyone is scarred to death of but from my experience for little reason. The 6.0 can be bought very reasonably these day and with $2,000-$4,000 can be made just as if not better than the 7.3.

The company I work for is exclusively Chevy for company trucks. I admit they ride nice, are quite, and have good power. We have also been replacing transmissions like crazy. One of my superintendents had a 2015 1500 that had 120,000 miles on it, it had 3 transmissions in that 120,000 and he pulls a trailer maybe twice a year. The same thing is happening across the company's 30 something trucks. Last month 3 transmissions where replaced, somethings not right here.   

Face it, they are machines and all will brake. 
Turbos, I can tell you this a friend had a dump truck Pete

7 years owned, least reliable component ............ turbo.

@stokester

" When choosing the F150 over the Silverado we liked it because it was quieter and had disc brakes on the rear while the Chevy still used drum."  Really :-\ I guess my 99 is the futuristic model?
Need to check your facts or take the we out of truck buying O0

Speaking as one who drove company cars for 30 years. I can tell you this, most abuse the hell out of anything they are not paying for.

So work trucks are useless as a bench mark.

Dodge trucks ......... just ugly  :D like most of the 2000 & up whatever's. Dodge trucks just stated sooner.

Pep

1776 ................... what happened!

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 06:52:47 PM »
@PEP
" When choosing the F150 over the Silverado we liked it because it was quieter and had disc brakes on the rear while the Chevy still used drum."  Really :-\ I guess my 99 is the futuristic model?
Need to check your facts or take the we out of truck buying O0

-------------------------------------------

In 2005 my wife and I went from the Ford to the Chevy dealer on the same day to drive an extended cab 1500 Silverado.  The Ford had rear discs and the Chevy we drove had drum.  Were they available as an option?  Probably but that was the model in the same trim/price range.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 06:55:50 PM by stokester »
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 07:31:12 PM »
A great site for travel trailers is RV.net
MAGA

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 07:49:11 PM »
F150`s rule the world. nuff said.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 09:10:41 PM »
I agree, I run 200 thousand miles on them and change front brakes at 150 k and then change rears at 190000 . I drive and don’t stop much.  :))
MAGA