Author Topic: Everything 1/4dr  (Read 17161 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Everything 1/4dr
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2021, 06:42:17 PM »
I really like my VIM RBF400 flex head bit ratchet, button this length I'd like more handle.

I could just press a handle onto it but I'd loose the T handle feature, so I've been trying to come up with a removable handle and the first idea didn't work out.

This time I just went with a snug press fit, it could be a little less snug but it should hopefully break in a bit.

With the socket adapter stored in it, the handle slips on just about perfect.

If I'm running a socket it slips on a bit further.

An air release hole helps it on much easier.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 06:44:29 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2021, 03:45:36 PM »
Whaddya know, the EASCO set actually came factory sealed.

]

The little driver handle is interesting,  it seems kind of chintzy like the handle is just moulded Styrene or ABS instead of a typical tool grade plastic but I like it just fine.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2021, 03:54:05 PM »
And the little Tuff1 arrived today,  my first S•K ratchet and I really like it.

I believe it was probably a factory second but I don't mind.
There are some defects in the chrome on top of the head, and the gnurling is a little bit deformed in a few spots.

That would explain them being absolutely unused NOS but not factory sealed.

Thankfully the handle is a little small , I consider that a good thing because it's such a nice little ratchet but I'm not looking to replace my WRIGHT contour grips.

If the grip was a little larger I fear I'd have to put a bunch of money into putting together an S•K version of my WRIGHT 1/4 " super set " as I like to call it.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2021, 08:28:41 AM »
That's the one thing about S-K roundheads. The body/handle sizes. For the 3/8" they're perfect, but the 1/4" is way too small for me and the 1/2" is a heavy beast.

It's why I have different brands for different drive sizes. The HF composite is the perfect 1/4" (nice handle size for me without excess weight) , and the Thorsen/Wright open gear are a great 1/2" (design sheds any excessive metal to keep the weight down and balance right).

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2021, 08:39:13 AM »
That's the one thing about S-K roundheads. The body/handle sizes. For the 3/8" they're perfect, but the 1/4" is way too small for me and the 1/2" is a heavy beast.

It's why I have different brands for different drive sizes. The HF composite is the perfect 1/4" (nice handle size for me without excess weight) , and the Thorsen/Wright open gear are a great 1/2" (design sheds any excessive metal to keep the weight down and balance right).
The Thorsen 77m is a dainty little thing too, I'm sure I'd love the 1/2" .

I was really surprised here, having never had an S•K I had no clue the handles were this dainty.
A screwdriver handle or some air break hose would remedy that well though if it was going to be a user.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2021, 10:04:38 AM »

The Thorsen 77m is a dainty little thing too, I'm sure I'd love the 1/2" .

I was really surprised here, having never had an S•K I had no clue the handles were this dainty.
A screwdriver handle or some air break hose would remedy that well though if it was going to be a user.

Yes, you could always fuel hose it (or heat shrink tubing like I do) if you love the action. But - be assured with the SK roundheads - the 1/4" is a bit small but the 3/8" is just right. The 1/2" is just too big a hunk of metal in the head which makes it heavy and out-of-balance.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2021, 11:50:47 AM »
Good to know about the 3/8.

I don't collect or accumulate 3/8 at the rate I do 1/4dr so I only have maybe 7 3/8 ratchets,  but I am going to want to try a few others in the future.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2021, 12:56:15 PM »
The 1/4 drive tuff1 is an odd duck. The head is oddly large compared to 3/8 and 1/2 versions. It has ever appealed to me and I think it is a rather ugly looking thing. Now the classic sk, that thing is a just  a great all around ratchet. Smooth lines, well proportioned, sturdy and still a good performer. Considering it's age  it is what a lot of newer ratchets strive to be and fail.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2021, 01:15:13 PM »
The 1/4 drive tuff1 is an odd duck. The head is oddly large compared to 3/8 and 1/2 versions. It has ever appealed to me and I think it is a rather ugly looking thing. Now the classic sk, that thing is a just  a great all around ratchet. Smooth lines, well proportioned, sturdy and still a good performer. Considering it's age  it is what a lot of newer ratchets strive to be and fail.
If it wasn't for the 72 tooth mechanism and almost no anvil play I probably wouldn't have wanted one.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2021, 04:32:07 PM »
You could always get a regular roundhead SK 1/4" and put in a DT80 drive kit. I think there's the point of "diminishing returns" with ultra fine teeth in a small ratchet but it is an option that might work for you.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2021, 06:50:24 PM »
You could always get a regular roundhead SK 1/4" and put in a DT80 drive kit. I think there's the point of "diminishing returns" with ultra fine teeth in a small ratchet but it is an option that might work for you.
I've got the 40970 on my list, I never thought about putting the dt80 mechanis in it but now that you mention it I may have to get 2 and convert one just to have an example of both in my collection.

This may sound crazy but I don't want a better ratchet, I like my WRIGHT contour grips and don't not want to displace them.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2021, 06:58:15 PM »
The Easco 71 1103 Bman sent me,  and I like it.
Not too coarse, not too stiff, and doesn't feel too bad in hand.
It's slim and nimble too, and relatively low profile for a roundhead.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2021, 07:07:06 PM »
I received this cornwell in the mail too, and I really like it.
I am very impressed with the machining and overall quality, the handle could be a tad thicker but overall I can't really complain.

With the batwing pawl and the thick cover plate,  really the overall design in general,  it's like a golden era Easco but nicer.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2021, 07:47:11 PM »
I'm glad you like that EASCO. It was hard letting it go, as it is a really nice tool. I hope it does well for you.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2021, 06:07:10 AM »
I'm glad you like that EASCO. It was hard letting it go, as it is a really nice tool. I hope it does well for you.
It will pair well with that sef I got in the other day.
I may want to add sockets because it's 1 set split between 2 different drive sizes, but I'll have to think about whether it's worthwhile to do so.
Always lookin' to learn