Author Topic: Troubles in River City  (Read 1447 times)

Offline oldcarguy

Re: Troubles in River City
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2023, 10:27:51 AM »
Here are two video clips I made of the Cadillac running. The one is taken showing a timing light checking the timing on the flywheel under the floor board. Note the RPM's of 360 range..

https://youtube.com/shorts/j0qOJb9pBAo?si=AN--Oem_s5wGUbgb

https://youtube.com/shorts/JB0I-3bKtmU?si=UCItAhvhxPmQ1uKq

Offline Elroy

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2023, 06:37:24 PM »
Elroy was under the impression  "river city" was Louisville, Kentucky and you were speaking of the recent NSRA meet at the Kentucky fair grounds in Louisville. Your prime Buick wouldn't rate unless it had an LS or HEMI. Elroy likes a good rod but a sweet prime original is toooo coool.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2023, 07:44:49 PM »
Elroy was under the impression  "river city" was Louisville, Kentucky and you were speaking of the recent NSRA meet at the Kentucky fair grounds in Louisville. Your prime Buick wouldn't rate unless it had an LS or HEMI. Elroy likes a good rod but a sweet prime original is toooo coool.
“River City” is simply and expression used in my circles. Not meaning an actual area. I do appreciate most any car. Most of my interest are pre World War Two. But 1950 and 1960 are so nice too.. but hyoid won’t find me attending a modern new car show. Though I do go to boat shows around the country.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2023, 08:01:04 PM »
Today,s find at the Hershey Swap meet. It may not look like much. But my 1914 couldn’t run without it. This distributor rotor is getting extremely hard to find. Only a handful of cars use this type. Plus the car is 110 years old. You may wonder why the two contacts?  The way I understand the Cadillac engineers thoughts were. When the first one passes over the plug contact it takes any charge left from the last firing. The second one actually fires the spark to the plug. Most collectors today leave that one out to save wear and the cap since the contact touches the cap. The price of this find is a small fortune.

Offline Elroy

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2023, 10:57:24 PM »
looks like a nice piece of Bakelite. Is the bushing ID critical ? Part looks good in the photos. Elroy will guess $1,200
Enlighten this old Hillbllly.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2023, 04:45:55 PM »
The ID is important; but not critical. Usually doesn't wear. The most critical part is the side drive pin that engages into the distributor shaft. I have made replacements in the past. In fact I reproduced a rotor from a block of glass filed phenolic from McMasters-Carr.. It worked for about one year then burned out. It cost me a little less than half your estimate..

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2023, 07:06:42 PM »
I purchased four new on in April 2022 for my enclosed car hauler. I lost the front passenger side tire on my trailer when I went to Michigan in September. I returned to Ohio on the spare. And ordered two new tires online to have then when I return. Before I left for Pennsylvania I mounted one and installed it. On my way to Leigh Valley Pa from Hershey. I cut the sidewall on the week old tire in the same way as the last. In tight traffic I couldn't swing my 70' rig wide enough to miss a high curb. Kaboom! I could see the damage in my RH mirror.. I was able to change the flat and on the road in 30 minutes..

After three days touring encompassing 300 miles I got a flat tire on the 1914 Cadillac. The drive lug on the Kelsey Hays split rim sheared at the weld. And tore off the tubes metal valve stem. Thank goodness I travel with two mounted tires on the car.

Look what showed up on my doorstep today. Goes a long way making things right. A third place trophy no less from the Hershey Fall meet that I entered in Friday's judging.. Meaning it scored at least 295 to 330 points out of 400.  Seeing that my car is a seasoned touring and not a show car,, I'm delighted.