Author Topic: Western Forge  (Read 3917 times)

Offline coolmercury

Western Forge
« on: July 13, 2020, 07:35:31 PM »
As most of us know, Western Forge closed its doors.  Sears was probably a major reason, but we will never know the inside story.  I came across this Western Forge socket set made in the USA under their own name and had to have it.  Nothing really special, but part of history.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Western Forge
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 08:28:33 PM »
12pt, that's a pretty good set. A lot of good tools were made at WF - sorry to see them go.

Offline muddy

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 08:50:15 PM »
Nice find! NOS?

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 07:52:34 AM »
Yes, it is NOS.  First one of their labeled sets I had ever seen.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 04:53:40 AM »
What kinda mechanism in the ratchet?

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 12:00:59 AM »
What kinda mechanism in the ratchet?

Well, since coolmercury didn't see this, I will answer it myself. These Western Forge chrome tools were made by Wright Tool.
I found the same place coolmercury got his set and picked up a NOS Western Forge 1/4 ratchet, # 5815.

As you can see, it is a dead ringer for the Wright # 2400 I already had.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 07:13:17 AM »
Good find, so did Western Forge make the Wright ratchet?  Seems strange that Wright made a ratchet sold by Western Forge since Western Forge made tools for others.  What do you think??

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 12:31:43 PM »
Good find, so did Western Forge make the Wright ratchet?  Seems strange that Wright made a ratchet sold by Western Forge since Western Forge made tools for others.  What do you think??

I don't think I had seen a WF rat before. WF was known for adjustable wrenches and screwdrivers, not a full tool line.

The ratchet I got is definitely made by Wright. Although not as well-known as WF for doing rebrands,  Wright did a lot of contract manufacturing. I have seen Wright ratchets relabeled as: International Harvester, Powr-Kraft, Ridgid, Bluegrass, Fairmount, Martin, Matco, and others.

If I had to guess a time frame, i would say probably before WF was purchased by Ideal.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 10:22:34 AM »
Very interesting.
For some reason I would have expected WF to source something like this from EASCO,  but of course so many companies contracted stuff like this from WRIGHT.

If I'm not mistaken I've seen a WF 1/4 socket set that consisted of just a ratchet and rail of sockets sealed to a a card, and maybe a 3/8 set this way as well.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 11:35:57 PM »
Very interesting.
For some reason I would have expected WF to source something like this from EASCO,  but of course so many companies contracted stuff like this from WRIGHT.

If I'm not mistaken I've seen a WF 1/4 socket set that consisted of just a ratchet and rail of sockets sealed to a a card, and maybe a 3/8 set this way as well.

I bought this on eBay the seller was in Colorado and had quite a few NOS Western Forge tools. Mostly loose socket sets but a few ratchets. If it was modern you would think they would be SK made.

If you think about it, most companies that made tools did contract production for other companies. There are loads of SK clones, wright did a lot, nb did a LOT, williams and snap-on even. That is not even counting what easco did, also a lot.