Author Topic: Harbor Freight's New Air Tool Line  (Read 7659 times)

Offline GNAP

Harbor Freight's New Air Tool Line
« on: July 09, 2019, 07:14:15 PM »
Recently, Harbor Freight has started to offer better grades of tools like their Bauer and Hercules lines, part of their Good/Better/Best concept, in their air tool offerings, they now have the Chief line. I have bought the Chief 4-1/2" angle grinder, an extended cut off grinder, an extended die grinder, a regular die grinder and a 3/8" and 1/2" air drills. I have been very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the tools, they are made in Taiwan, are relatively quiet, smooth and well balanced. Most of the tools are in the $75-$100 price range, the air riveter and extended cut off tools are in the $150 range. Surprisingly for Harbor Freight, the 20% off coupon, does not at this point exclude Chief branded tools, which makes them a bigger bargain.

I have bought some of their cheaper air tools, while never disappointed, but seldom impressed, based on their cost, did performed their job. The Chief line is definitely a big step up, from the Central Pneumatic line. The 1/2" drill is all but a direct copy of the 1/2" Mac air drill (also Taiwan made) I own, is as strong and is somewhat smoother.

I really like the feel of the air riveter, but as I own a Marson, 2 Jets and a Snap-On sourced one, a fifth air riveter seems slight over kill.
jack

lostmind

Re: Harbor Freight's New Air Tool Line
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 08:46:23 PM »
Thanks for the review Jack. Always good to hear a report from actual use in the field.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 09:07:57 PM »
HF is good at name association. US made Sioux air tools vs. their Chief air tools -- they always pick a brand name to associate with. Overall I see that HF is picking up their game on both the hand and power tool front; which is a good thing. Their new hand tool line is excellent -- and their new torque wrench offerings are getting a lot of good reviews from former premium US brand customers.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 10:47:38 PM »
Sears crashing out has given HF a boost into the serious DIY guys. They see a market and seem to be going after it. I've been eyeing the new Vulcan welders, Been wanting to learn TIG and their new Vulcan multi process is getting some decent reviews.

Offline GNAP

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 05:59:50 PM »
One of my friends, Norm, bought one of the HF Titanium brand stick welders, 120/240 volt, 225 amps, 16 pound DC welder, work great.

The Chief extended cut off tool, is great, I used it for cutting out bolts on the tractor project.
jack

Offline eborcim

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 11:49:22 AM »
I do not recommend the CP brand pneumatic metal saw.  When sawing on a body panel, it would work for a bit and then quit.  Manually moving the blade would sometimes restart the saw.  Maybe the Chief brand will be better.

Offline GNAP

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 09:38:47 PM »
Today, I switched from 1/4” style A Milton air fittings to 3/8” style T Milton air line fittings, which according to Milton, the style and size increase, will give me roughly 3-4 times the flow. With the new bigger air lines and the new air line fittings, air flow should not be a problem.
jack

Offline Elroy

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 05:16:48 PM »
You probably couldn't careless what Elroy has too say.................... but you can bank on the statements above  :-*