Author Topic: Inflation  (Read 1611 times)

Offline fatfillup

Inflation
« on: December 07, 2021, 09:30:57 AM »
Just got my 4th price increase on pressure washers this year from my hot water manufacturer.  Normal increase in the spring, (often go 2 years without an increase), then a second increase first of August, then a 7 % steel surcharge in Sept and that just got bumped to 9 % this week.  Know the manufacturer well and its not gouging on their part. 

Inflation is real and likely to get worse.

This doesn't bode well for the economy and I really feel sorry for folks who are tight on their budgets. 
If you owe money and your income can keep up with inflation, it works to your advantage as you are repaying loans with dollars that are less valuable but not many folks income will increase with inflation

So between Covid and progressive policies, we are in for a rough ride, BUT, we will weather the storm and get through this as we always do.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Re: Inflation
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 11:16:06 AM »
Progressive policies don't work but people never learn.
boop/bop/beep

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 11:22:12 AM »
Your lucky to be able to get items to sell. A lot of guys I talk to have no inventory. My lawnmower shop has orders for 60 zero turn mowers he can’t get. And these are domestic sourced machines.

At work we prepare an annual budget in February to start in October. I’m seeing price increases of 50-75% on some items. The price of metal is going crazy. Our chemical supplier can’t get replacement tanks so he’s low on inventory of gaseous chemicals. Crazy world for sure.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 12:36:50 PM »
3 month lead time on machines.  Just bought 3 that became available instantly.  Was out of hot water machines for a few days last month.

We don't sell a ton of equipment but probably 3 to 5 a month.  Very fortunate to have a great regional sales rep who manages his in-territory inventory well.  I can often get standard machines if I am willing to drive to Philly to get them.  About 2 hours into the depth of the hood :))

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 01:15:35 PM »
The cost of steel and materials the wife's shop uses has skyrocketed and heavy wall large diameter tubing is tough to find. Transportation costs have really risen with the costs of hot shot haulers going high. Those costs get passed on to you as rate payers of utilities and consumers of mined materials such as cement.

The amount of goods in the cart grocery shopping has shrunk compared to the price paid. A $100 cart of a couple years ago is at least $150 now. The rising costs quoted by the administration are total bull crap.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 01:53:46 PM »
The rising costs quoted by the administration are total bull crap.

Every administration that has high inflation has tried to minimize it by cooking the numbers.  I think they took food and fuel out of the equation years ago cause so few people use fuel or food

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 03:43:18 PM »
Very soon the Federal Reserve will be forced to raise interest rates. At that point, the markets will drop like a lead weight. We're in for a rough ride in 2022. As an economist friend of mine says "2020 was the worst year ever! 2022 -- here hold my beer!"

Offline walrus

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2021, 05:51:21 PM »
Try to find a 2 gang plastic nail on box. Thats about as simple a product as there is. My supply house is on allocation for anything from Carlon. They have stuff on backorder from Sept of 2020. Its crazy that something as simple as an injection molded plastic box with 2 nails in it cannot be found.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2021, 06:13:11 PM »
Inflation, shrinkflation, stagflation - everything's hitting!

Gas has been going up 10 cents a week - when I look at it. Portions at my favorite restuarants are smaller just about everywhere.

Can't get parts. Need motor mounts for the Astrovan. None in stock locally, gonna be a few days out of L.A. (yeah, right). Motor oil - and oil filters! - have to be ordered. I've been grabbing any NOS I find at estate sales and the like and storing them (luckily the wife's Buick and the van take the same filter and oil!)
Plus, prices on everything is going up. I'm stocking up on everything I can get my hands on just in case the stores run out, or close, or another lockdown hits (Tucson is a liberal crap hole). I'm doing what my grandparents used to talk about - don't throw anything away.

Luckily we don't have any kids - so Christmas will be a nice dinner and a movie. Got all my "necessities" ordered and in before Thanksgiving to avoid shortages or shipping nightmares. I wish I had a fireplace but fortunately we don't get that cold here so if power or gas go off we can manage.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2021, 06:15:34 PM »
Try to find a 2 gang plastic nail on box. Thats about as simple a product as there is. My supply house is on allocation for anything from Carlon. They have stuff on backorder from Sept of 2020. Its crazy that something as simple as an injection molded plastic box with 2 nails in it cannot be found.

I can sympathize Walrus. I had my garage built during the height of the plywood and OSB shortage this past summer. It's ridiculous what we saw in shortages, and in pricing.
A few weeks ago I couldn't find any 3" drywall screws at Home Depot. The same story for 1" #8 drywall screws. I don't think HD has ever run out of those basic items. I finally found some at Tractor Supply (at a much higher price) after searching all morning.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2021, 08:21:45 PM »
I was buying the 50# bucket of Chlorine for our pool for $99 shipped, then it went to $149 last year. Went to look into  ordering another 50# bucket for next year and it is $279.99, OUCH. But I need it to keep the pool clear so out comes the wallet. Meat has really jumped. Bacon, hamburger, and beef hurt. Hamburger was $1-2 per pound, and now if I find it for $3/#, i get some extra to put in the freezer.

I've been waiting for wood to come down to replace more of our fence. I guess I'll keep waiting but it isn't looking good.

I was getting Diesel for under $2/gallon with my Kroger points. Now I'm lucky if it is under $3/gallon.

I did refinance the truck and the house so that saved some money. Knocked off term on each and feel good about that.

Not sure what is in store but I've been watching the build back broker stuff in the house and senate on youtube and it seems to be quite the boondoggle.
Rich

Offline slip knot

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2021, 09:25:46 PM »
Chlorine gas went from $850/ton to $1200 /ton. in less than a year.

Offline highland512

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2021, 07:57:28 AM »
Im trying to buy out a ductile Iron pipe for a project we are starting. How in the hell can we agree on a price when every quote sheet I get says "Price good through the end of business day" They use to hold pricing for 30 days.

This is a joke and nobody has a straight answer as to when it will end. My guess is we will be seeing some of this for 5+ years and that 2022 will not be kind to wall street or any of our 401k's.