VEHICLES > TRACTORS/MOWERS/HEAVY EQUIPMENT

1951 Farmall Super A

<< < (2/11) > >>

highland512:

--- Quote from: skfarmer on June 13, 2023, 03:12:18 PM ---a pretty rare and unique piece of tractor history there. at least in my part of the world. we have the green version of that, an m, in our family. it was my dads and my son has claimed it. no attachments for it though. the jd m had several versions. the  m (set up similar to yours) the  mc (a crawler) and the mt (a single wheel tricycle kind of like a hi-crop). the mt could also be fitted with a wide front or twin narrow front tires but still had more clearance like a hi-crop.

--- End quote ---
I was talking with a guy at work and he seems to think jd made an offset tractor. I say no, what’s sk think?

In my part of the Midwest there are still tons of cubs, a’s, b’s, and c’s but the tools where long ago sent to the scrap yards to be turned into pittsburg wrenches. From my looking almost all of these that are left with the tools are in tobacco country or Mi/Wi (beet country).

goodfellow:
Excellent find! As a suburbanite all my life I know next to nothing about farm equipment. Looking forward to learning something new -- Thank!!!

Uncle Buck:
The little offset Cub (A smaller less powerful version of the Super C) equipped with a snow blade, wheel weights and a woods belly mower was always my dream tractor. The Super  C is better though.

Don't get your hopes up for anytime soon, but somewhere in all of my crap I absolutely know that I have an original IH manual specifically for the Super C .  If/when I find it I will send it to you. I  know now I will never be buying any farm tractors.

Uncle Buck:

--- Quote from: goodfellow on June 13, 2023, 07:42:23 PM ---Excellent find! As a suburbanite all my life I know next to nothing about farm equipment. Looking forward to learning something new -- Thank!!!

--- End quote ---

With your aptitude older farm tractors would be like working on a vintage car, only heavier. A Super C and others like that would be a fun little project. I don't know from personal experience but I have been told that 8 & 9 N Ford tractors in particular are good tractors to steer clear of though.

skfarmer:

--- Quote from: highland512 on June 13, 2023, 07:20:59 PM ---
--- Quote from: skfarmer on June 13, 2023, 03:12:18 PM ---a pretty rare and unique piece of tractor history there. at least in my part of the world. we have the green version of that, an m, in our family. it was my dads and my son has claimed it. no attachments for it though. the jd m had several versions. the  m (set up similar to yours) the  mc (a crawler) and the mt (a single wheel tricycle kind of like a hi-crop). the mt could also be fitted with a wide front or twin narrow front tires but still had more clearance like a hi-crop.

--- End quote ---
I was talking with a guy at work and he seems to think jd made an offset tractor. I say no, what’s sk think?

In my part of the Midwest there are still tons of cubs, a’s, b’s, and c’s but the tools where long ago sent to the scrap yards to be turned into pittsburg wrenches. From my looking almost all of these that are left with the tools are in tobacco country or Mi/Wi (beet country).

--- End quote ---
sk says your friend is correct. the "L" and "M" are offset like your ih.

both tractors also featured upright 2 cylinders vs the standard  horizontal in most other jd tractors of the time.  the m progressed to the 40, 320, 420, 330, 430 with upright gas powered twins while the 435 featured a  gm detroit deisel twin.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version