Author Topic: PayPal information confirmation  (Read 4562 times)

Offline muddy

PayPal information confirmation
« on: February 19, 2019, 08:57:12 PM »
Seems as PayPal is updating or something.

They want my birthdate and S.S.#.

Anyone else get this I don't care about my birthdate but giving my social out is something I'm very cautious about.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: PayPal information confirmation
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 09:00:55 PM »

Anyone else get this I don't care about my birthdate but giving my social out is something I'm very cautious about.

Never give that out -- I updated some info on paypal today and they didn't ask for that information. Make sure you are not being spoofed by some cloned paypal site trying to get your personal data.

Offline muddy

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 09:03:54 PM »

Never give that out -- I updated some info on paypal today and they didn't ask for that information. Make sure you are not being spoofed by some cloned paypal site trying to get your personal data.
They wanted either SS or Individual taxpayer identification #

I'm gonna dig into this before I don anything more.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 09:26:57 PM »
Sounds very suspicious. Best bet is to contact them directly - but don't use the info in the email or message they sent you look up the number.

Saved you the trouble - I looked it up: 1 (888) 221-1161

You should also be careful about your birthday - that is often used to confirm identity.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

lostmind

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 08:04:16 AM »
I went years without giving them my SS# , but they locked my account.
Tax law says they need it if you sell. After 200 sales and $20K they need to send you a 1099 form.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 08:46:43 AM »
Yeah, giving the S.S. number out is a big red flag for me.
Just received a job app that wanted my SS number. I assume it's something they need to have their contracted security company run a background check. Then there's this blazee disclaimer saying that they will take all reasonable actions to prevent unauthorized use of the number.
Ah, sorry, you want me to hand over all my critical personal data, and you'll promise to take all "reasonable" precautions? Sounded like "reasonable" gun control.
They need my S.S. number after I'm hired for tax purposes, and then they are personally responsible for maintaining it's confidentiality. This way they get me to sign away any litigation claims if the bozos they give it to to do their research for them sells it or loses it to another party. Tore the app up and tossed it in the trash, where it belongs.

By the way OP - I dumped paypal years ago after the first big round of "updated" terms of use hit.

Offline eborcim

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 10:43:05 AM »
forward the email to: phishing@paypal.com

I get something every month or so from a scammer.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 10:54:55 AM »
They just wanted the last four digits. I went to the PayPal site to confirm that it was legit. Initially, I thought it was a scam too.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 11:48:42 AM »
How times have changed.

I still have some moving boxes from the early '80s which have my full SSAN written on them as required for military moves.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 02:35:19 PM »
How times have changed.

I still have some moving boxes from the early '80s which have my full SSAN written on them as required for military moves.

My original pilot certificate had my SSN as the number. FAA finally got smart and eliminated the SSN and gave me a number. Many pilots call it their pilots license but it is a certificate as the Constitution prohibits the federal government from issuing licenses. Won many a bar bet on that. But nobody can explain to me why there is such a thing as an FFL.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 05:05:32 PM »
Well, I remember you could have your SSN as your drivers license number in Arizona. And I did for many years - till I wised up. Luckily that was before the internet.