Author Topic: How many carry a lighter...  (Read 4365 times)

Offline muddy

How many carry a lighter...
« on: February 18, 2019, 09:41:36 PM »
....even if you don't smoke like me.

I carry this ligher with me everyday. I don't smoke, however it still does come in handy to have.

I did a little off my own customization with some hat pins I had.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: How many carry a lighter...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 09:56:26 PM »
I have a few vintage Zippo's from my dad's time, but I don't carry one. A few friends of mine have the mini-BIC lighters in their EDC rotation though.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 10:05:11 PM »
I keep some disposables in various boxes but don't carry a lighter
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 10:12:17 PM »
I have a Zippo or two, but don't carry them anymore as they dry out after 2 or 3 days in the typical desert air. Plus once in a while they flip in my pocket, land upside down, and leak lighter fluid. Got a chemical burn on my leg - guess I'm allergic to it?

But I keep them handy at home just in case I need a light.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 10:50:43 PM »
Keep em around but don't use them.

I've got a US ARMY print Zippo that my dad was given which he gave me because " I don't need a lighter if I don't smoke ", but I don't use a lighter often enough and Zippo's loose their fuel within a couple days.
I tell ya if you're going to keep a lighter of any kind in your toolbox a butane torch lighter sure is handy.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline john k

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 11:45:15 PM »
Do not carry one daily anymore, but when I do, carry a Bic for lighting stuff.  When I was in the Army,  ended up carrying two,  smoked cigars usually when off duty.  Whenever I had one out, sure enough somebody would run up and ask for a light.  Would pull one of the Zippos out of the left pocket and oblige him.  When I would light my own,  did it with the one in the right pocket.  The one on the light was fueled with lighter fluid.   The one on the left was fueled with lighter fluid, and diesel fuel.   First puff and the fellas bumming a light sure got a funny look on their puss. 

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 08:57:40 AM »
I carry a Bic in this cold weather we are having. I may need it to thaw out the gate latch like I did yesterday morning. The older versions with the adjustable flame were the best and could save your butt out in the boonies by drying out kindling to start a fire.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 09:27:11 AM »
I don't usually carry one in my pocket , but have Bic lighters stashed in my road box , glove box , drivers  door and all over the house. You can never have too many lighters. I have a few of the flexible shaft grill lighters that work great to start camp fires.  I don't smoke either.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 02:43:10 PM »

So what do you do with those cigars your were posting :D

I carry one in my service truck and have some in each main box.  Comes in handy.  Lighting torches, heating the ends of hose to slide over a barb, lighting pilots

Offline ken w.

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 04:15:42 PM »
I was going to mention lighting torches , but I got holy heck on the other side when I said I use a Bic lighter for this.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 06:58:17 PM »
Here is a Zippo lighter I acquired years ago. It was carried aboard the XB-70A on it's maiden flight. I haven't found out the number of them made and carried aboard the bomber. This one was engraved and presented to a well known aviation and novel writer. It has never been used.

Offline muddy

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 08:59:08 PM »

I carry one in my service truck and have some in each main box.  Comes in handy.  Lighting torches, heating the ends of hose to slide over a barb, lighting pilots
I look at them and admire them! lolx

If you only smoke a cigar/pipe once or twice a month are you considered a "smoker"?

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 06:57:44 AM »

I look at them and admire them! lolx

If you only smoke a cigar/pipe once or twice a month are you considered a "smoker"?

You have a wife and son,,, I would never call you a smoker.    ;D
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 12:41:06 PM »
I stopped using a zippo long before I stopped smoking, they go on top of my dresser now. I used a Bic for years after that, but now just keep one or two in my toolbox for shrink tubing.