Author Topic: MAC driver  (Read 3935 times)

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
MAC driver
« on: November 10, 2019, 03:47:05 PM »
What is this MAC driver for? I remember modifying a flat blade to a similar shape to remove Triumph and BSA clutches in the old days.Total length is 5 1/2 " and tip is 1/2".
Modify message
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline GreyOwl

Re: MAC driver
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 06:14:04 PM »
Is the blade thinned any on the tip? If so it could be a staple or tack puller.
GreyOwl

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 06:40:34 PM »
Not thinned, and all tack and staple pullers I have seen have the business end angled or curved.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 07:10:04 PM »
I modded a snappy driver similiarly some years back when working on a carb, foreign maybe?. IIRC the power valve . this may have been a factory MAC job.

Offline muddy

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 07:18:28 PM »
Have a part number on it?

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 08:12:02 PM »
No part number, just MAC  very faint.

Offline ron350

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 08:56:28 PM »
 MAC sold several specialty drivers with wooden handles back in the 70’s. Don’t know what mine was designed for but I used it to R&R carb needle and seats.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 02:07:11 AM »
MAC sold several specialty drivers with wooden handles back in the 70’s. Don’t know what mine was designed for but I used it to R&R carb needle and seats.

Have had several of these but none like Papaw's
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 02:08:55 AM by fatfillup »

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 10:06:25 PM »
This has gotten me into some deep diving and I have come up with no real answer, but I did find this-
Spanner
Screw Head - Spanner.svg
The spanner[63] or Snake-Eyes (trademarked)[64] screw drive uses two round holes (sometimes two slots - the same driver bits work in both types) opposite each other and is designed to prevent tampering. Other informal names include pig nose, drilled head or twin hole.[65] This type is often seen in elevators and restrooms in the United States, the London Underground in the United Kingdom, some train wagons and the Montreal Metro in Montreal, Quebec, and is seen in all Panama Metro wagons. The driving tool is called a "spanner driver" or "spanner screwdriver"[66] in the US, and a "pin spanner" in the UK.[citation needed] They are also often used for soft spikes on golf shoes. The US military's M17 and M18 service pistols (variants of the SIG Sauer P320) use spanner screws to dissuade disassembly of the handgun beyond normal field maintenance except by the authorized armorer, and they had also been used previously for reinforcement screws on the M14 in order to secure the front locking tab on the magazine well.

The knife and gun manufacturer Microtech uses a variation of this with 3 round holes arranged in a triangle shape. The camera company Leica Camera has used versions of this on rewind knobs and other levers on their rangefinder cameras.

From a Wikpedia link. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives#Spanner

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 11:05:14 PM »
Ron350,

Your vintage MAC "woody" is a tappet adjuster driver.  I have several like it under various brands.  It was a standard tool back in the days of solid lifters.  The two "ears" on the ends of the blade made it possible to adjust lifters with the engine running.  These drivers went out of favor when hydraulic lifters became the norm (say about 1960ish).

Papaw,

Your vintage MAC "woody" looks like it might have been used to remove bezels from dashboard switches and warning lights.  These tools also went out of use around the 1960s-1970's.  Of course, I could be wrong... it might be a tack puller.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 11:06:52 PM by lauver »
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline ron350

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 08:35:45 AM »
Thanks Lauver.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 08:38:46 AM »
Gary, you have been quiet as of late.  Miss your posts, hope all is well with you.  Them twins out of school yet?

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 09:55:42 PM »
Fat's,

I'm good, just been busy with year-end and new year projects. 

2019 was a bad year at my house.  One by one, every major appliance in the kitchen had to be replaced.  Then, the heat pump went south.  And now, the septic tank is getting "constipated".

One of the twins graduated early last year.  The other twin has one or two quarters  left, but will graduate in 2020.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 12:51:39 PM by lauver »
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.