Author Topic: The obsessive search.  (Read 839 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

The obsessive search.
« on: November 07, 2023, 09:27:53 AM »
I have too many neat ( mostly small pocketable tools) on my ever growing list.
I think the latest is going to be the most attainable but also most frustrating.

Yesterday I discovered the Walsco " LITTLE PAL " 3 foot tape measure and I must have one, I will have one in my pocket some day.
So far it seems to be one of those tools that's so close yet so far away, they're plentiful and inexpensive on Ebay but condition and function are everything.
I think it's probably gonna be hard to find one with good return that isn't too rusty or worn out.

Do you guys still get obsessed with neat tools that you don't really need ?
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

Re: The obsessive search.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 08:40:16 PM »
I always am interested in odd tools or specialty tools. Always neat to hear the story why a certain was created.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2023, 09:08:53 PM »
I always am interested in odd tools or specialty tools. Always neat to hear the story why a certain was created.

There's so many odd interesting tools out there that I've mostly settled for learning about them without needing to buy.
If that was the only area of obsession things might be different but since it's not I've had to ignore intrigue and interest at times If It's not something I can use.

Don't get me wrong though I don't have to need a tool to buy it, just know that I could used it if I wanted to.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline john k

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 11:52:19 PM »
Have finally gotten over the need to buy any unnecessary tools.  Mainly because if I try to place anything else in the shop or garage, the doors won't close!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2023, 07:33:20 AM »
Have finally gotten over the need to buy any unnecessary tools.  Mainly because if I try to place anything else in the shop or garage, the doors won't close!
I'm not there yet, but probably will be some day.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2023, 10:34:55 AM »

Easy - remove the doors!  :))

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2023, 02:40:48 PM »

…..,,,Do you guys still get obsessed with neat tools that you don't really need ?

Heck yes! Even at my age, I still get excited about finding a NOS or rare hand tool at a garage sale, or at a retail store. I have all the tools I could ever use for my kind of projects, but I still buy a double or triple item if it’s a great deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline muddy

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2023, 05:36:35 PM »

There's so many odd interesting tools out there that I've mostly settled for learning about them without needing to buy.
If that was the only area of obsession things might be different but since it's not I've had to ignore intrigue and interest at times If It's not something I can use.

Don't get me wrong though I don't have to need a tool to buy it, just know that I could used it if I wanted to.
Yeah when I was younger I would buy them all. Now I just look and research lol

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2023, 05:59:30 PM »

Yeah when I was younger I would buy them all. Now I just look and research lol

I left so many screwdrivers and pairs of pliers behind at a yardsale a couple months back, it was tough convincing myself to leave them behind.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2024, 11:34:08 AM »
 I have finally found a Walsco little pal tape that I was willing to buy.

I had to pony up almost $16 for it, but when every other one that popped up was either worse for more money or much much worse for a bit less this one seemed reasonable.

I see little to no rust and the seller tells ma it retracts great with no help, all the others were described as needing a little help.
Maybe that just means a thorough flush with WD40 and compressed air which this one will probably get just to be safe because there's clearly a bunch of lint in that hole, but I'm not going to gamble on one that's not currently working well.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 11:36:44 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2024, 10:16:33 AM »
Now my obsessive search starts again for yet another mini tape measure, but this one is probably going to be tougher to find because I have to identify it first.

When I was a kid my dad gave me a jar of old keychains and in it was an old Lufkin that came from my grandmother.
I carried that thing in my pocket all the time as a teenager until the side plate screw came out and the thing sprung out all over the place.

This tape measure I had was like the w616, it was a  1/4"  tape with wood grain decal on the side plate the except it had a keychain on it and I know it was much smaller than the w616 I have.
I don't know the exact length, but it had to be between 2'-4'.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2024, 02:13:06 PM »
I got my little pal in and it's a nice little tape measure.

I didn't know that it was a 3/8 tape though.

It's a little thicker than my favorite pocket tapes

But it's not much bigger around for being a full 12" longer.

It's not going to carry well in the back of my pocket organizer, so I'll carry it in my watch pocket.
Always lookin' to learn