Author Topic: Show your old welder --  (Read 6139 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Show your old welder --
« on: December 30, 2018, 08:39:09 AM »
The thread on the old Lincoln Idealarc 250 got me wondering what old welding equipment is hiding in the shops/garages of all you GG members. Post them up and tell us the story. There's always a good story behind an old welder  ;)

Here are mine.

1978 Dialarc 250HF - with a very rare external AIRCO TIG pulse unit, Weldcraft WP-20 torch, and a Miller Radiator 1 water cooler. This was THE setup back in the early 70s, and I leaned to TIG weld on a machine exactly like this. When one came up for sale in the late 1990s I jumped at the chance. It's hooked to a  dedicated 100A circuit and will spin the meter at warp speed when welding thicker aluminum plate.

Dialarc 250HF with Radiator 1 cooler.

AIRCO TIG Pulsing attachment -- quite an uncommon option for early 1970s TIG welders.

The other antique is an early 1970's Lincoln Tombstone AC225-S -- I never figured out what the "S" designation stood for since it looks like any other AC225 that was ever built. I used this machine for decades to weld heavy material and build shop equipment, and I also made a few bucks along the way in college welding things for the neighborhood homeowners. It's been mechanically refurbished once and painted two times since that time. Not much used anymore since I purchased a MIG machine in the late 90s, but it still works on the occasional "quick fix" on dirty material. 

Offline oldnslo

Re: Show your old welder --
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 09:19:40 AM »
Avoiding the typical oxy/gas setup, I present to you my (former) Lincoln 225. I traded some tractor grading work for this 30 years ago, and it served me well for several projects and repairs.

Sold and replaced only due to a free P&H monster from a neighbor, complete with near 100' of welding leads the size of your thumb. I can weld across the street should I need to. The top "crank to get the amps you need" is kinda fun to spin around. Two separate lead inputs gets you high or low settings, with the finer adjustment in the crank.

Adding to collection roundup is the MIG. With no training, other than walking into a welding shop and saying "hey, I want to learn about MIG welding", I embarked upon buying a few used units, and flipping them until I found the one that suited me well enough to build a cart, and stick with it. Thus the Lincoln 180HG (far right) which has never let me down. I run the big spools of 3 different sized wire, where those can often be picked up on cheap at swaps, because most folks can only run the smaller spools.

I tried TIG on aluminum while touring a manufacturing facility, and failed royally. I have a local friend-welder-extraordinaire that does that work on the rare occasions I need specialty metals welded. Right now he is putting a new tip on my Mitutoyo dial caliper that I dropped on accident and broke off the measurement depth tip. That was a sad day.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 09:28:23 AM »
I don't think that any one of the old manufacturers (including GE, Westinghouse, Union Carbide, Lincoln, Linde, or Miller) made any more robust welders than P&H. I see some every now and then sitting in mostly very old shops, and they stand out not because of the name, but the sheer size. P&H were huge machines and true industrial powerhouses -- but also very expensive. I guess that's why many people chose Lincoln and other brands.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 10:01:13 AM by goodfellow »

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 09:45:24 AM »
IIRC - paid $50 for this tombstone Lincoln.
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 09:54:09 AM »
IIRC - paid $50 for this tombstone Lincoln.

Very nice TM -- that is in great shape, and for $50 "you stole it"!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 08:48:40 PM »
Bump -- we can't be only guys who have antique welders around here. Lots of older members on the GG probably have welders dating back decades.

Offline Elroy

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 06:16:28 PM »
Bump -- we can't be only guys who have antique welders around here. Lots of older members on the GG probably have welders dating back decades.

Kind of depends what you consider antique. If you consider 20 years old as antique then Elroy would be pleased to post a few shots of his Lincoln SP125

When Elroy first had access to this machine it received a fair amount of use. It's only a 120 volt machine so it's primarily set up for sheet metal and body work. Heavier demands are augmented with straight CO2 shielding gas.

Gas consumption is better controlled with an adjustable flow meter.

The original gas fitting is poorly located so Elroy improved the routing with this elbow.

A decent auto darkening helmet is a nice addition

Considering this machine is long discontinued, It may well be consider an antique. This machine sees limited use but it does exactly what Elroy needs in fine fashion.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 06:36:09 PM »
Certainly 20 year old welder qualifies -- thanks Elroy; nice looking machine.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 07:19:49 PM »
I would love owning an antique like Elroys!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!