Author Topic: New life for old tractors  (Read 10465 times)

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: New life for old tractors
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2020, 08:56:50 PM »
Good discussion, and very important to our collective future economy. The movement is called "Right to Repair", and these are the issues facing farmers these days.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2020, 10:39:46 AM »

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2020, 12:13:47 PM »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2020, 03:55:42 PM »
Here is a new article about the right to repair fight that is ongoing.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/farmers-fight-john-deere-over-who-gets-to-fix-an-dollar800000-tractor/ar-BB10MABk?ocid=spartanntp

Great article DN -- lots of good info.

Yes but the irony is that it is on Bloomberg News. We know he is the expert on farming. ::)

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2020, 09:48:52 AM »
ha, my old junk is mostly pre emissions. that said the issue as real as more and mor machinery wears out or suffers catastrophic breakdowns. i  am familiar with the issues though and they are real.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline muddy

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2020, 09:09:17 PM »
ha, my old junk is mostly pre emissions. that said the issue as real as more and mor machinery wears out or suffers catastrophic breakdowns. i  am familiar with the issues though and they are real.
Just gotta be like most our customers put way too much money into a pile of Sh*t that still won't be a reliable machine in the end any way

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2020, 09:03:09 AM »
Just gotta be like most our customers put way too much money into a pile of Sh*t that still won't be a reliable machine in the end any way

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Tim -- does your company buy the specific software and diagnostic tools that are at issue here. If so, how much does it cost and what restrictions (i.e., what hoops do you have to jump through) are there to use it?

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2020, 10:46:17 AM »
My boss has Case/NH, Two CAT programs, Navistar and about ten other diesel diagnostics on two computers.

He paid about 5g usd for each major brand including JD.  Which is now unused because NH tractors get the best support in the ag area.  It was commercially available via a biz in the big city nearby.

And I know what Muddy says.  Fix the engine and clutch, patch the radiator and the hydrogizmo trans is still wonky, the brakes not as good as before.

And he spend 1/3 the price of a replacement for that.
The limits of where to fix and when to scrap the old one are fuzzy. Usually any unsupported drivetrains are the fatal shot.