Author Topic: Crafty Question for Lauver  (Read 8084 times)

Offline Elroy

Crafty Question for Lauver
« on: February 13, 2019, 03:49:33 PM »
Elroy is seeking OEM supplier information, for these Craftsman "H Code" 1/4" drive locking extensions

Locking action is achieved by sliding the black button along the axis of the extension.

These locking extensions perform well. Seeking to augment the selection with additional examples. Please advise Elroy if OEM information is available.
Thank you

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Crafty Question for Lauver
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 03:57:54 PM »
Gary is the expert, but I think those were Danaher era Elroy. I have the same set and it was purchased around 2009/10 -- which should still be part of the Danaher/Apex era.

Offline Elroy

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 04:05:18 PM »
should still be part of the Danaher/Apex era.

Elroy looked at Danaher current offering and did not not find them currently listed. Elroy is concerned they may have been a Sears exclusive making additional procurement difficult.

In Elroy's opinion these are the best 1/4" locking extensions made. They work really well. Elroy will look at Danaher closer. We thank you for the advise .

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 04:11:32 PM »
Sears still has them listed under "Quick Release Extension Bar" -- same design, but I doubt they will be US made.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 03:36:39 PM »
I've got a 6 inch extension in 3/8" drive with that lock set-up. I like it.
Didn't realize they did other lengths and drive sizes. Another thin to look for.  :-[

Offline slip knot

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 07:33:42 PM »
Mine never worked very well. I always assumed it was just a Crafty gimmicky thing so they got sold off. Those actually worked? mine would drop the socket off every time I used them.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 09:48:37 PM »
Mine never worked very well. I always assumed it was just a Crafty gimmicky thing so they got sold off. Those actually worked? mine would drop the socket off every time I used them.

I haven't put a deep socket on mine and tried to yank it off yet. But I did put a socket on and shook it upside down - it stayed on. I figured the plastic release knob would be the first thing to fail.

Offline Elroy

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 08:28:38 PM »

Dam Skippy they work ...............IFFFF you use them with sockets that are counter-bored with a retaining groove or lock pin hole.
There are a few sockets in the Elroy inventory that lack such a groove. Elroy would think it's obvious that locking ball drives ( ratchets or extensions) would not reliably retain such sockets.

You got the groove ? The sockets DON'T come off until the button is actuated.

Elroy has experienced application where other more bulky retention systems interfere with accessing the work.  Is it a Crafty gimmick ? YEP..........but they work
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 08:31:56 PM by Elroy »

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 09:53:52 AM »
Elroy,

The H code indicates the extensions were made at the Danaher/Apex Holo-Krome facility.  As far as I know, this facility is still in operation and still part of the Apex organization.   I don't know if they are still producing the locking extensions. 

I just checked the Sears.com site; these locking (aka Quick Release) extensions were 1st listed in May & July of 2010 and are still available online as of this morning.

Does this info help?

« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 11:07:34 AM by lauver »
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 10:19:25 AM »
i have several of the sk sleeve type locking extensions in 3/8 and 1/4. they work well and the slightly larger size has never really been an issue for me. i can see where it may be but not enough reason for me to change.

i have seen a socket or two that may not lock  onto them but the issue has been the socket and not the extension. the indent has been absent or out of place. it still fits on the extension but just doesn't lock.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 09:24:29 PM »
Elroy,

The Crafty V, G, & G1 sockets all have the old retention broach and should work well with your locking extensions.  The later Crafty G2 and G2D sockets have the newer retention broach with lot's of "vertical play" and probably would not work well with your  locking extensions.  For that matter, these newer sockets do not play well with any drive tool of any brand.

Just my humble opinion....

Any luck getting in touch with the Holo-Krome facility? If not, you can get similar replacement locking extensions from Sears.com today :-\
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 09:27:15 PM by lauver »
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline Elroy

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 06:23:21 PM »
Any luck getting in touch with the Holo-Krome facility? If not, you can get similar replacement locking extensions from Sears.com today :-\

Good to be back

Elroy purchased a (3) pieces set with Crafty part number 9-43345 from all places.............Walmart
Tried to take some pictures but Photo Crap-bucket is holding Elroy's account hostage. While the originals were clearly labeled "Made in USA" with an "H" code, all three of the new extensions were marked "L-AH".The extensions came in Crafty vinyl pouch indicating the tools were made in Taiwan. The Made IN USA is obviously missing from the Taiwan pieces. Other than that little detail these newer L-AH extensions are identical to the originals.

Elroy now has a total of five locking 1/4"extension in his arsenal.

PS

Someone needs to PM Elroy about Herb

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 06:43:04 PM by Elroy »

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 09:37:31 PM »
i just got off the phone with elroy and he is up to speed. seems like elroy had a few issues of his own but is on the mend himself now. i guess we are all getting older!

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 11:51:15 AM »
skfarmer,

So you saying that the Garage Gazette has aged into an old timers hangout?  :-\

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 11:58:04 AM »
skfarmer,

So you saying that the Garage Gazette has aged into an old timers hangout?  :-\
if the shoe fits, i guess we gotta wear it...... ;D