Author Topic: Be aware of dealership shenanigans -  (Read 448 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Be aware of dealership shenanigans -
« on: October 29, 2023, 08:29:26 AM »
I know there are many reputable dealerships that keep the interests of the customer foremost in their business model, BUT the sheer plethora of outrageous repair estimates and markups becoming a standard practice among many large chain dealership networks is embracing not only to the service industry, but also to the automotive manufacturer.

I know most of us on this forum do our own basic maintenance, and we are certainly technically aware of repair costs when we actually have to use a dealer service department. Therefore we can usually see the BS billing practices coming a mile away. I've followed this trend for quite some time and ever since my daughter and wife have taken their cars in for recall work, or for basic service/maintenance when I was out of town (or when they were on the road traveling alone), the story has almost always been the same.

.........They drop their car by the dealer for a specific issue, and invariably they get back a repair estimate that is loaded up with all sorts of "required, or critical" service needs that have to be addressed ASAP. It's to a point where they actually laugh/joke about it before they bring the car in for service.

If you want to know how bad it is, watch the video of this former dealership mechanic who now runs his own independent shop. Average folks who don't know (or have no interest in...) mechanical service procedures are getting the shaft every day. I personally think that dealerships are the worst offenders -- that's my opinion at least.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 03:38:27 PM by goodfellow »

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
Re: Be aware of dealership shenanigans -
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2023, 02:23:42 PM »
I j just came across a case of this from a local independent shop I expected to be above it. Last year I did the brakes on an 07 yukon for an old couple that lets me use some shop space. They'd been quoted almost $1500 for a front brake job and flush from the gmc dealer that they've loyaly patronized for years. I insisted they let me do the job when I heard that. The dealer claimed the brakes were dangerously worn and it needed calipers too.

I pulled a wheel that day and saw pads at 25%. There's no salt here so calipers last no problem. Nothing like the disaster claimed.

I ordered top shelf parts from rock auto and did the job for under $300. I flushed with fresh bosch 5.1 long life universal fluid. I dyed it blue to ensure a full bleed on the system. I do this on all my own vehicles as well and think Nothing of adding 3 drops of oil soluble dye to a quart of fluid. I tagged the reservoir with a label noting fulsh date, fluid brand & type, and blue dye.

A few weeks ago they said they were going to take it in for front suspension work. The dealer was over 2 months out on service appointments, so they went to an independent shop. He quoted over $3k for ball joints and tie rod ends with no alignment done. In all bold on the quote, it said the brake system was full of unknown fluid that posed an immediate danger. The quote stated they wouldn't do the suspension work without replacing all components of the brake system as they'd been compromised with incompatible fluid. That was going to be another $2500 or so.

The owner came me to ask about all this because it surprised him since I'd just done the brakes. I was pissed! That's robbery in my opinion. I told the owner I stood behind my work and to go somewhere else. I'm now sure that shop takes people for a ride every day of the week, but there's nothing to be done except be vigilant watching the quote.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2023, 03:02:46 PM »
Sadly this is commonplace in the stealership world.
 I've always let the dealer do the service work while the vehicle is in warranty just so if anything comes up it was their people that screwed up. The first years oil changes were comp'd on the 2019 F250. When I went to pay for the first one it was for $150. I asked them why so damned high and the little girl behind the counter very smugly stated that Diesels were expensive and if I couldn't afford to service it maybe I should trade it in on a gasoline model. My F250 is 6.2 gasoline powered. it even stated as much on the service report. But it detailed out a diesel oil change!!  When I asked to speak to the service manager she proudly stated she was the service manager. :banghead:

I reported it to the General Manager of the dealer ship and to Ford corporate. The next time I took the truck in for service she was still there. I turned around and walked out. Haven't gone back. The truck has 2 recalls on it currently and I absolutely refuse to let the local Ford dealer near my truck.

Don't get me started on the Dodge dealer here and the Ex wifes Durango. She paid for that truck 2X in unnecessary repairs.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2023, 05:06:07 PM »
Yep, repairs on basically EVERYTHING are going into orbit these days! Parts, supplies, everything is just going nuts. I know supply chain problems and all but sheesh! Even the Goodwill's and thrift stores are jacking up prices.  :-[

And the UAW strikes seem to be getting what they want. Only gonna make the manufacturers pass on higher prices to us. Car lots are full of new cars because people can't afford the sticker price. The wife is looking for a new-to-her car, and it's a challenge.
We are praying our used car guy can find us a decent deal. :25:

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2023, 06:04:52 PM »
My F250 is 6.2 gasoline powered. it even stated as much on the service report. But it detailed out a diesel oil change!! 

I've got another story like that one. My mother inherited her father's subaru outback from the estate. Prior to him expiring and when he was still out and about, she asked him to get the timing belt done because the car was way overdue. In his decline over the next year, all the paperwork was lost during moves and so when she got the car, it was unknown whether the service had been done.

I was pretty booked at the time, so when the car showed up, they took it to another local shop for a new timing belt. The service writer was told that it was highly likely the car had a new belt and if it did, please stop, button it back up, and the bill for the exploration work would be paid. 6 hours after they dropped the car off, the phone rang and it was ready to pick up with a new belt installed (supposedly). My father asked to see the old belt when paying the bill ($1150) and was told that it had been thrown out and their dumpster emptied (bullschit!). He bit his tongue and paid the bill and came home. I looked at the car the next day and half the screw heads on the front of the engine were dirty and clearly hadn't been off the day before. The mechanic had obviously pryed the cover open, scoped the new belt, and slammed it back shut.

A few months later, going through papers from the estate, a service receipt for a new belt done at the subaru dealer was found confirming the suspicions of being ripped off. But not much you can do. Not enough to go to court over. Just have to shut up and eat schit and warn your friends.

The wife is looking for a new-to-her car, and it's a challenge.

I'm going to keep driving my old beater with a heater until I can't keep the wheels on it anymore. I don't see hw anybody can afford new, or even non-junker used rigs these days. It's beyond crazy.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2023, 08:06:43 PM »
It's common in my experience for mechanics to do this but not all gotta keep on your toes. But it's  just as prevalent in pretty much every trade.

Plumbers are now often using menu pricing especially the outfits that use box vans. Some even advertise it! Theres even some industry pricing books and IMO at best it's a way to overcharge. My SIL was charged over 600 to install a gas oven. No parts needed the new one was bought with the (correct) gas line yet the menu reflected a list of parts and over an hours labor. They didn't install the tip bracket either.

Locksmiths too you need to be wary of. A lot will sell HD/Lowes stuff (grade 3) at grade 2 prices. One locksmith in LA rekeys everything with the same key so there are probably thousands of locks that all use the same key. No idea why he does it it doesn't save any time or materials
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.