Author Topic: Who EDC's a knife -  (Read 31611 times)

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
Re: Who EDC's a knife -
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2018, 02:23:10 PM »
H&S,

That Grohmann Mini is a work of art.  Gotta luv it...
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 04:57:55 PM »
If you like Swiss Army knives and have alot of $$$, this guy out of Canada does some freaking amazing mods.

https://www.instagram.com/robertjlessard/?hl=en

Offline john k

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2018, 08:00:18 PM »
H + S is doing the same thing I am.  Got a large collection of knives, 40 or so.  When I was working, carried a Swiss Army Tinker daily.  Wore out 3 of them.  Since retired have continued to pick up fine old knives,  Kutmaster, Imperial, Schrade, Winchester, and even spent some good coin on a beautiful Marbles.   Have about 4 handy, and one goes into my right front pocket as soon as my belt is fastened.  Lost a nice Barlow years ago,  found it a year later when in the cow lot,  Wasn't even rusted shut.  Carried a Ka-Bar on my belt when in the Army, in the field that is,  could use it as an axe for camouflaging stuff.  One thing on my want list is one of those belt buckle knives made a few years back.   Don't do any flying so don't worry about that part. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 10:43:23 PM by john k »

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2018, 08:16:30 PM »
Back in my biker days, I always had a Buck on my belt. One day when a Panhead I owned caught fire at a parts store, some dude wandered up as we were loading the bike in a truck, and asked if anyone had a knife. I foolishly offered up the Buck. Never saw him again, and no one there knew him.
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2018, 10:44:35 PM »
This is what I like to have handy. Sears sells this in two versions - the black scales with a little mini version and brown scales by itself. It's been carried for a long time and still held up wll.

[/url]

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2018, 09:50:49 AM »
I carry a SAK Master Tinker normally, or an older, USA-made Gerber Gator 650 if I'm gonna go off road.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2018, 10:28:56 AM »
That Gerber looks like a pretty serious knife.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2018, 12:35:28 PM »
That Gerber looks like a pretty serious knife.

When I was considering a EDC knife I mentioned it to a friend, who immediately pulled out his Gerber and let me hold it. I was sold. Then found out Gerber outsourced in 2005 (?), and read online to look for "650 USA" on the blade. The steel was better, took and held an edge much longer. Found one pretty quick, then snagged a spare off of ebay. Very nice to hold, perfect shape, rubbery-coating lets you maintain your grip even when wet with water, sweat, or blood.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2018, 01:11:55 PM »
The handle looks like a silicon rubber of some sort. That stuff never gets slippery.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2018, 06:22:20 PM »
Here's what I chose for the next week or so.

The Gerber US1 isn't a heavy duty knife with a fancy modern steel, but it cuts well and sharpens easy. Best if all it's US made and only costs $14, I'm pretty happy with it for what it is.

They've got a lot of bottom of the barrel Chinese knives sold in big box stores, but the Staples such as the ultralights and gator as well as some others lOke this US1 are still made in Portland OR.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 06:26:32 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Online oldnslo

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2018, 08:53:25 PM »
Mine.

http://www.aerostich.com/k-i-s-s-tm-pocket-knive.html

Except when traveling through TSA.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2018, 06:21:38 PM »
These are what I carry most of the time -- nothing fancy, but they work. The multi-tool resides in my briefcase permanently. The two others are carried as the attire allows.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2018, 06:35:55 PM »
I also loose most of the knives I've owned. I like wood handled Barlow's the best. I've been looking for a nice multi tool and saw a USA made Gerber at Walmart for $ 78.00. I'm tempted.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2018, 07:56:01 PM »
I also loose most of the knives I've owned. I like wood handled Barlow's the best. I've been looking for a nice multi tool and saw a USA made Gerber at Walmart for $ 78.00. I'm tempted.
In my experience the nylon sheaths don't hold up, either the loops or the Velcro type closure.
My recommendation would be the Leatherman super tool 300 with leather sheath, I bought my dad one as an early Christmas present last month and he's really been loving it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2018, 08:11:17 PM »
These are my latest additions which I've been carrying for the month of December.

The Leatherman squirt has been great when I'm not at work since I don't always have much need for my full sized Leatherman.

The 424 Buck alumni is a great little knife especially at $18, they came out back In January and I kind of wish I had bought one sooner.

I've also been carrying the old Western f48a off and on since I made a good left handed sheath for it.

I carry a knife every day and have about 30 +/- not counting l that I carry and use, so I generally pick a different one each week.
Always lookin' to learn