Author Topic: This is like coming home.  (Read 8683 times)

Offline m_fumich

This is like coming home.
« on: December 28, 2018, 10:39:32 PM »
Hi guys. I heard GG was nearly lost. Was anything saved.

Just to give you a run down on the last 5 years.
I broke my shoulder in Jan 2014. That lead to the end of my OTR work. I’m now a professional Santa and I run an animal rescue facility and sanctuary. I care for 45 dogs on a daily basis. Most of my tools were stolen back in February. I’ll try to elaborate on that another time. I’ll never collect tools again like I did before. It was a true addiction/obsession. I don’t know how often I’ll be on here. I work 16 hrs a day taking care of these dogs. My dogs come first. Fortunately, my wife agrees.

Later guys.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: This is like coming home.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 10:54:37 PM »
I can't express how delighted I am you found the place. I truly don't have the words. I so look forward to your usual insightful and erudite posts.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hofferwood

• It's all good
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 11:07:55 PM »
Hi Matt!!!   ^-^
If it aint broke----fix it till it is-----there's nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 07:38:21 AM »
LOL,  how funny I was just thinking about you the other day, wondering how things were turning out. You've made some moves job wise, remembering you started the animal rescue .

Good the read you're settled in doing something that gives you purpose and enjoyment as a part of living.

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 10:46:22 AM »
mf,

Funny, I was just wondering about you yesterday.  At any rate, glad you're back.  Please do check in whenever you can.

Also, would be interested to know the details of your tool loss.  Such events truly suck...

lauver
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 11:33:07 AM »
Hey Matt , did you see that thread with the vintage drill stands on it? Didn't you collect them?
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 07:10:55 PM »
Nice to see you! Sorry about the tools, but happy about the dogs. We adopted a little Napoleon about 3 years ago and he has wormed his way into our hearts.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 11:05:52 PM »
Dude, the wife and I JUST went to the Triple T restaurant over the weekend and it made me think of you! Sorry to hear about your woes, glad you found us again.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 12:12:28 AM »
Welcome back Matt. About the time we last heard from you on the old site you were asking about concrete floors for your dog rescue building. How'd you make out on that?

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 04:59:38 PM »
I miss your visits to Houston.
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 09:01:18 PM »
Hey Matt , did you see that thread with the vintage drill stands on it? Didn't you collect them?

I did not. I used to have a pretty extensive list of American made indexes. If I ever get back to the tool hobby again, that will probably be something I focus on. I tend to obsess on things. I lose control. I’ve had to learn how to say “I don’t need it.” If you’ve still got that Fortney welder, I’d like to figure out how to crate it up and get it shipped.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 11:48:25 PM »
Yeah its still in his shed I think? I`ll check.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Online Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 01:21:46 AM »
Good to see you back, Matt.  I figured you'd find us eventually.
boop/bop/beep

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 08:39:04 AM »
mf,

Funny, I was just wondering about you yesterday.  At any rate, glad you're back.  Please do check in whenever you can.

Also, would be interested to know the details of your tool loss.  Such events truly suck...

lauver

PM me your address. It was among my messages when GG got nuked. I’ve got some things for you. I’m also working on a surprise if all goes as planned.

Here’s the story about my tools.

I opened my facility to house the rescue dogs in Feb 2017. I moved to a new location in October 2017. I hired a guy to help me build pens and dog houses and to care for the dogs during my Santa season. He lived 2 houses away and showed up every single day and was on time.  He worked from Thanksgiving until the end of the 2nd week in January. I had between 35 and 40 dogs and half were  pit or pit mix although they were all big babies. I was in a large house on 15 acres that a friend had bought as a foreclosure and let me move my facility there. I had 2 dogs in the main part of the house at night. I stayed in what was the laundry room of the house. It was 14x25 so there was plenty of room for me and several  dogs. The rest of the dogs were kenneled in the garage. They all spent the day outside and came in at night. When I was away, the two dogs in the house were loose but restricted to the two rooms by the front door. There were 3 dogs loose in the laundry room and 20 kenneled in the garage. About a month after my helper was no longer needed, I returned to find dogs running loose in the yard, the front door, laundry room door, and garage door standing wide open. Some of the dogs in the garage had been let loose. I found that both my generators were gone along with my laptop, auger, powered post driver, sliding compound miter saw, and my top box that had the majority of my hand tools including all my Proto goodness. I suspect my former helper was involved because no person in their right mind would walk into a room where pit’s were loose unless they knew the dogs or knew they were friendly. Plus, he never came back for his last check.

We have since moved again. We bought a 70 year old farm house on 6.6 acres surrounded by farmland. BTW, I love my barn. I’ll post about that another time.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 05:07:36 PM »
Yes it's always a shock when someone you thought you could trust betrays you. Always hurtful to see the lack of integrity you thought someone you know had. Stealing and even attempted theft is a pretty low form of behavior to pull on someone you have a relationship with.

Pretty galling, isn't it.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 09:18:44 PM »
I’m no more upset because of who I think did it. I’ve been no less upset when it was someone else steeling from me. It’s the fact that someone thought they could take what I needed.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2019, 10:03:48 PM »
matt,

I hear ya... theft sucks.  No getting around it.  You'll eventually get past it... I hope.

In the mean time, I've sent you a PM.

lauver
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2019, 11:51:43 PM »
I’m past it. While there were some tools in my box that I can’t replace because of their history, the don’t mean anything to anyone else so it’s just a matter of time before it’s just stuff to someone else. But that guy had better hope I don’t come down with a terminal illness.