Author Topic: Vintage Photo Of The Day  (Read 278831 times)

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Vintage Photo Of The Day
« Reply #135 on: December 05, 2018, 12:35:54 PM »
I'm guessing they replace a lot of pistons -- LOL  :))

They had a reciprocal agreement.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline muddy

« Reply #136 on: December 05, 2018, 09:19:03 PM »

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline john k

« Reply #137 on: December 05, 2018, 11:51:03 PM »
I ran a SUN machine like that, had a print out to attach to the ticket.  White uniforms in the shop, what were they thinking?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #138 on: December 06, 2018, 07:48:17 AM »
........White uniforms in the shop, what were they thinking?

It was a brilliant marketing campaign. With the white uniforms and shop coats they were trying to project a scientific/research professional image. They copied lab coats and clinical attire to suggest that their equipment and training was on par with the latest technical standards used in the medical and engineering fields. They put great effort into making their equipment designs look futuristic and "space age" -- which was a hot trend at the time.

Sun also had the best training and marketing programs in the entire industry. Their marketing strategy was built around the concepts of "Scientific Diagnosis", and their equipment, customer support, training, and branded line of clothing emphasized that aspect of the strategy.

Offline muddy

« Reply #139 on: December 08, 2018, 08:16:56 PM »

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

lostmind

« Reply #140 on: December 09, 2018, 08:12:15 AM »

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #141 on: December 09, 2018, 08:18:29 AM »
I like the white uniform on the guy holding up the engine. :)) :))

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: December 09, 2018, 08:32:36 AM »
I like the pic of the dealership garage above. I remember when my independent foreign car shop switched over from the old single cylinder hydraulic lifts to the dual cylinder models, and it was a huge effort to dig up those big old castings along with the hydraulic tanks which were often buried under the concrete slab to save space. It was probably the single most efficient improvement they ever made up to that time, because it allowed free access to the bottom of the vehicle for doing extensive transmission and drivetrain work.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #143 on: December 09, 2018, 11:16:15 AM »
we had a single post at the Texaco station. I seem to recall you could rotate the car in the air if it was small enough.

That young man clowning with the raised engine could well have been me. I don't remember when I learned that the dirtier you were didn't necessarily equate to how hard you worked. at some point I noticed the "clean" guys got paid a heck of a lot more. I hate getting dirty now. ;D

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #144 on: December 10, 2018, 02:08:05 PM »
Got a light ?
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #145 on: December 10, 2018, 04:08:54 PM »
Wow, that brings back some memories.  Seems everybody smoked back in the day.  Had to look it up

Self-reported adult smoking peaked in 1954 at 45%, and remained at 40% or more through the early 1970s, but has since gradually declined. The average rate of smoking across the decades fell from 40% in the 1970s to 32% in the 1980s, 26% in the 1990s, and 24% since 2000.Jul 24, 2008

I remember smoking everywhere, even on planes.  There were no smoking restrictions except maybe in hospitals that I remember.   Even if a household didn't smoke, they had ash trays for their friends that did. 

Offline highland512

« Reply #146 on: December 10, 2018, 04:15:45 PM »
I remember when people smoked everywhere. Every restaurant had a smoking section and many of those had a cigarette machine. Now the goberment tells a business owners they cant allow smoking in their own businesses. ::)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #147 on: December 10, 2018, 04:20:37 PM »
So true Phil! -- Heck in the 1950s my entire family, and even the dog smoked -- literally everyone smoked . From grandparents to parents, aunts, and uncles - with very few exceptions they all smoked. I smoked for a few years in early college, but gave it up for sports and never went back to cigarettes after that. I did pick up cigars from my father and FIL later on in life -- along with their cigs, they enjoyed a good cigar on special occasions.

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: December 10, 2018, 05:04:55 PM »
In Pittsburgh when I was a kid virtually everyone smoked. It was rare to see someone who didn't so at least there 40% or even 50 sounds very low it seemed like it was about 99%. My mother didn't although she tried it from time to time most likely because she was the only who didn't.

I recall bringing cigarettes into a hospital for friends who smoked (they even sold them in the gift shops) and they were allowed to smoke in the rooms, as were visitors. The only places I recall not being allowed to smoke was movie theaters, elevators and airplanes for take off and landing. And inside my high school although we were permitted to smoke on the property just not in the building (except some who smoked in the lav's but that's another story).
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #149 on: December 10, 2018, 06:11:33 PM »
My city outlawed smoking in all buildings inside the city limits several years ago. We stopped at a bar in Corpus a couple weeks ago and the blue haze hung about 4ft off the floor. Oddlyenough stale beer and cigarette smoke smelled good.