Author Topic: Anyone drive a late model Buick Encore or Chevy Trax?  (Read 2919 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Anyone drive a late model Buick Encore or Chevy Trax?
« on: April 15, 2019, 10:37:05 AM »
We have a 2012 AWD Traverse and it was purchased at a time when our daughter was very active in HS activities that required a lot of long road trips hauling several teenagers and their gear all over the east coast. It was/is the perfect family hauler and we absolutely loved it. That said, now that those HS requirements and long road trips are a thing of the past, Mrs. GF wants something smaller and more personal to drive. For some reason she's fascinated with the opposite end of the spectrum -- the Buick Encore and the Chevy Trax.

Does anyone have any experience with these compact SUVs? I have tried to make the case for a mid-size cross-over, but for some reason she is smitten with that "cute" design. Given the wheel base and the engine size on that platform -- I'm looking for input on how it handles and drives on the Interstate. She won't be taking long trips, but does a lot of local state and Interstate highway driving.

Offline torqueman2002

Re: Anyone drive a late model Buick Encore or Chevy Trax?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 06:41:30 PM »
My wife bought a 1.4L Turbo 2016 Encore about 10 months ago. She previously had a 2009 Saturn VUE.

Most of the time, it's just her and our 2 year old granddaughter, driving about 15-20 miles. It is perfect for that.

The pick-up is well calibrated and it does fine around town and on a few trips we've made to visit her brother, about 75 minutes away. I haven't checked the mpg, but google says up to: 28/34; which seems about right.

Visibility is good, her model (?) has back-up camera, which is a nice feature. The seats are comfortable, front leg room is good (I'm 5'8"), it has heated leather, heated steering wheel, and I think, heated outside mirrors. It also syncs with her iPhone address book, my 2013 Sierra can voice dial a number or a pre-stored name.

When I drive, I find my right knee resets on a part of the center console that has a hard plastic edge and I find it very uncomfortable. I would not want to spend more than about the 75 mins. it takes to get to her brother's house. I had the same problem with the VUE, so no surprise.

What is amazing is how this small displacement 1.4L, 6-speed trans. powertrain is able to move this vehicle along.

It's not my kind of vehicle, but it suits her just fine.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 06:44:14 PM by torqueman2002 »
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher