Author Topic: Educate me on Ford and Chevy pickups  (Read 9280 times)

Offline Plomb-er

Re: Educate me on Ford and Chevy pickups
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2019, 12:36:25 AM »
Chrysler, Dodge, Ram, Mopar, Fiay, whatever you want to call it, they are not known to be as mechanically sound as Ford or GM. Great looking trucks, yes, but mechanical reliability is what sells. I've known Chrysler products that have needed trannys replaced at 60,000 miles and less, emblems falling off, interior trim failing, all on well cared for vehicles that are only 5 years old or so.

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2019, 09:02:08 AM »
Chevy pickup, approx 8-15 years old.  One that can pull a small to midsize travel trailer easily.  I want an extended cab pickup but not a four door one.  Not sure about a 6 or 8 cylinder.  Was thinking about finding something with around 150K miles. 

8-15 years old spans two platforms, GMT800, and GMT900.  I have four GMT800 Trucks.  The GMT900s had first generation Active Fuel Management (Displacement on Demand), no personal experience, have heard of problems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMT800
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMT900

How much will your trailer weigh?  Half tons have the 4l60e trans. 3/4 tons have the 4l80e.  If your trailer (with your camping gear) weighs more than 4000, I recommend the 3/4 ton.

Get the 8 cylinder.  The LS engine is what makes this a great truck.  Most of the half tons had the 5.3l.  3/4 ton has the 6.0l, both great engines.

All of mine are well over 200k, the big block (8.1l not an LS) just passed 300k.  High Mileage is not an issue on these trucks.  Buy the one with the least amount of rust.  Bring a creeper and avoid rusty brake lines and rocker panels.  All mine have had the brake lines replaced due to rusting out.  This was the Achilles heel of the GMT800.  Not a huge problem, just the price of living in the rust belt.

A lot of the Fords had spark plugs that break and leave parts in the head.  Just one reason of many why the LS engine is far better.  IMO the best Gas V8 ever.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2020, 10:36:08 PM »
In my time in the shop a lot of high mile antiChryslers had rear diff problems.  Whining and clunking internally.

We did occasionally get wheel bearings in Chev stuff but not like a bad issue in the line.

The reason to buy the dodge is style and power.  But only in its first few years.  When heavy wear sets in everything goes to hell in a handbasket at the same time.

Stress cracks in the sheet metal, suspensions, trans, electric gremlins all travel together.

That said, if I wanted a cheap firewood hauler to beat up a used Dodge would be perfect.

Ford had goofy cab over engine details and Chev can have tricky automatic trans issues, I'd get whatever has a straight six and standard. 

Offline highland512

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2020, 07:40:26 AM »
In my time in the shop a lot of high mile antiChryslers had rear diff problems.  Whining and clunking internally.

We did occasionally get wheel bearings in Chev stuff but not like a bad issue in the line.

The reason to buy the dodge is style and power.  But only in its first few years.  When heavy wear sets in everything goes to hell in a handbasket at the same time.

Stress cracks in the sheet metal, suspensions, trans, electric gremlins all travel together.

That said, if I wanted a cheap firewood hauler to beat up a used Dodge would be perfect.

Ford had goofy cab over engine details and Chev can have tricky automatic trans issues, I'd get whatever has a straight six and standard.

Good luck with finding anything with a standard thats worth buying. The only reason I bought my current truck and the only reason I still have it is the ZF6. If ford offered the new 7.3 gas motor mated to a ZF6 I would have already bought one.