Author Topic: Vortex Diamondback Mount Up  (Read 3854 times)

Offline Conductor562

Vortex Diamondback Mount Up
« on: January 31, 2019, 09:04:09 PM »
Awhile back I acquired a Ruger American 30-06 All-Weather model. I wanted something synthetic & stainless, nice enough to be effective, but cheap enough that I don’t have any reservations about strapping it on the front rack of the 4 Wheeler and trekking through the woods.

For a scope I selected a Vortex Diamondback 3x9x40. A Vortex because I’ve had great luck with them and their warranty is 2nd to none, and a 3x9 because it’s West. Virginia and you’ve got as good a chance of getting a shot on a Sasquatch as you do a deer beyond 150 or so yards.

The real significance here is that for the first time in my life I actually took care to do a 100% correct mounting job on the scope. I used Vortex Pro Series rings, so it didn’t take lapping to get the alignment bars dead on. Reticle was properly leveled, everything torqued to spec, etc.

I think it turned out pretty nice. Even threw some flip caps on for a little extra protection. Not a high end gun, but it’s perfect for it’s intended use.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 09:07:59 PM by Conductor562 »

Offline Conductor562

Re: Vortex Diamondback Mount Up
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 09:08:44 PM »
Continued

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 09:42:32 PM »
That is a really nice job on the scope mounting you did. Looks like the rings are deadnutz aligned.

Offline muddy

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 08:52:03 PM »
Very nice I'm a Ruger fan as well!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 09:20:05 PM »
nice. ruger is my favorite as well. the american is a damn fine gun and some respects better than the m77 i shoot. my son has an american in .308 and  i have a .22. about 10 ruger long guns between my sons an i.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 09:23:27 PM »
nice. ruger is my favorite as well. the american is a damn fine gun and some respects better than the m77 i shoot. my son has an american in .308 and  i have a .22. about 10 ruger long guns between my sons an i.

How does the .308 shoot. I've been eyeing that rifle for a while.

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 10:20:29 PM »

A buddy of mine who is big into Ruger sold me on it and feels the same way you do. It’s pretty impressive that you can get a high powered rifle, from a well respected manufacturer, with a nice barrel, 3 lug bolt, and a free floated stock, for well under $500. I got the rifle, a $200 scope, and a $50 set of rings, all for less than most of the bare M77’s I looked at. It’s not as fancy, but it’s a solid no frills rifle and doesn’t look half bad either.

I’m considering another one. I’m thinking the Ranch model in 7.62x39 would be a great fit for me to use as a farm/utility rifle. It’s got enough punch and enough range for about anything you’ll encounter in the woods around here, I always keep at least 300 rounds of 7.62 around anyway, and it’s cheap enough for plinking or jacking around at the range. It’s tame enough the boys can shoot it, plus I’ve got a 3x9 Bushnell I bought years ago that’s NIB just begging to be mounted up to something.