Author Topic: Post all of your latest tool buys here  (Read 183970 times)

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
Re: Post all of your latest tool buys here
« Reply #195 on: March 25, 2020, 10:28:14 PM »
Not a hand tool but a performance tool  :-\
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #196 on: March 26, 2020, 06:32:46 PM »
Just got these Pratt-Read screwdrivers in, and first impressions are great.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #197 on: March 29, 2020, 10:55:33 AM »
PDR kit
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #198 on: March 29, 2020, 11:30:31 AM »
Not a big purchase, but I needed a long thin triangle security bit screwdriver for working on an heater. The case was secured with these damn things and a regular thick bit would not fit into the deep thin opening. Like most of you guys I have a ton of screwdrivers in many drive and bit sizes, but didn't have what it took to get this job done. So I went cheap - $10 from Amazon for a set of four. They arrived within two days and the job got done --

The quality is nothing spectacular -- cheap Chicom stuff.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #199 on: March 29, 2020, 09:18:32 PM »
Not a big purchase, but I needed a long thin triangle security bit screwdriver for working on an heater. The case was secured with these damn things and a regular thick bit would not fit into the deep thin opening. Like most of you guys I have a ton of screwdrivers in many drive and bit sizes, but didn't have what it took to get this job done. So I went cheap - $10 from Amazon for a set of four. They arrived within two days and the job got done --

The quality is nothing spectacular -- cheap Chicom stuff.
They certainly look pretty cheap, but at least they got the job done.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #200 on: March 30, 2020, 08:11:00 AM »
GF, triangular bit?  don't think I have seen those before.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #201 on: March 30, 2020, 08:25:34 AM »

Those tri-wing screws are a pain and considered a security bit. I had to go to HF and buy a security bit set to get the one I needed. The coffee maker sprung a leak and a hose had come loose inside. After I bought the bits I ran into the problem of a deep reach inside the housing and the hole was too small for my bit drivers. The only bit driver that fit down the hole was my Klein and just barely. The job would of been a piece of cake with a set of the drivers GF bought.

How about a link to that set Ray? I went nuts searching for those on Amazon as most results returned the set for working on Nintendo games.

Offline Barks

« Reply #202 on: March 30, 2020, 09:09:53 AM »
We've had some luck very carefully enlarging the hole in the plastic with a slightly larger drill bit until an on-hand tool would fit in the hole. Very carefully.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #203 on: March 30, 2020, 09:30:33 AM »

Those tri-wing screws are a pain and considered a security bit. I had to go to HF and buy a security bit set to get the one I needed. The coffee maker sprung a leak and a hose had come loose inside. After I bought the bits I ran into the problem of a deep reach inside the housing and the hole was too small for my bit drivers. The only bit driver that fit down the hole was my Klein and just barely. The job would of been a piece of cake with a set of the drivers GF bought.

How about a link to that set Ray? I went nuts searching for those on Amazon as most results returned the set for working on Nintendo games.

Yeah -- the bits come in most security sets such as the cheap HF and Craftsman offerings, but as has been mentioned, quite often the screws are buried so far down in recessed component bosses that a bit driver handle shank is too thick to get the bit down into position. Hence a true thin screwdriver shank is needed. The triangular design is a common security fastener used in Chicom household electronics equipment. They are usually interspersed with common phillips and/or secure Torx fasteners.

In my case the rear cover of the heater I was working on was fastened with eight screws -- six Phillips and two Tringle head screws. The triangle screws were set into the deepest access channels making it impossible to get at with a bit driver. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H3RD2Y4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #204 on: March 30, 2020, 11:38:39 AM »
Thanks for the link GF. :great:

Offline TacticalFun

« Reply #205 on: April 01, 2020, 11:40:11 AM »
Some special pliers.  Any guesses to what they do?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #206 on: April 02, 2020, 04:15:28 PM »
Got a Chapman order in today.

I thought the little 3/4" spacer seemed like a good idea, but with it the extension does not fit into the ratchet very well.

I did come up with something though.
Pulled the handle off the stubby, slid the spacer collar on and put it back together.
It spins freely and should be great for spinning screws out.

There's still a standard bit or two I need, as well as a Robertson or two which I keep forgetting about but I'll order them eventually. This is all for personal airgun smithing BTW.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 04:18:02 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #207 on: April 02, 2020, 04:20:26 PM »
Oh yeah, I was looking all over for this thread and couldn't find it.
I'm glad to see that this thread of mine was stickied.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #208 on: April 02, 2020, 06:47:09 PM »
I needed a crimping tool to do the welder leads. I got this hammer crimper from Tractor Supply and it made it to the store in 5 or 6 days which was worth it to have the free shipping. Of course I checked the clearance items and scored.
I got a Dewalt 14" chopsaw blade for $5.09 and a 3 pack of Mibro chopsaw blades for $7.22 which was nearly 60% off.
Also a Mibro 6x3/4x1" grinder wheel for $4.67 which is a good emergency wheel at nearly 60% off along with 3 Mibro 4-1/2" x 1/8" depressed center masonry wheels for $.67 which was over 75% off. I do love their clearance items.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #209 on: April 02, 2020, 10:28:41 PM »
That's a nice little haul of handy consumables.