Author Topic: Post all of your latest tool buys here  (Read 183934 times)

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Post all of your latest tool buys here
« Reply #270 on: May 11, 2020, 11:42:29 PM »
I ordered spare inside and outside lens protectors, 1.5 diopter magnifying lens and 2 spare sweatbands for my 2 welding helmets. I ordered them on Thursday along with a new garage door opener backup battery and a battery for the quad. All 3 packages made it on Monday so that is pretty good service with free shipping on the batteries.

Offline muddy

« Reply #271 on: May 13, 2020, 08:32:50 PM »
13-3/4"  1/4" rachet. Should make reaching the bolts on engine fans alot easier.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Online skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #272 on: May 13, 2020, 10:13:40 PM »
 damn, i like that 88 click action.  i only have a couple matco rats but i like them. i may need to ads one of those handled versions to the arsenal.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #273 on: May 14, 2020, 05:29:32 AM »
:051bye:
Reminds me of being 16 years old and working at Arby's :hee20hee20hee:
We recently replaced the old ones at work with new ones like these and I hate 'em.
The handles are always unscrewing ( I'll stake 'em with a small screw at some point) and the front lip doesn't sit low enough to the ground to get the small stuff very well.

This one works well for my needs. My new house has full cherry wood floors. yeah this doesn't work well on dust, but I am amazed at how much stuff gets tracked inside. This, a broom, and a swiffer got me covered.

The threads look to be the same as most generic plastic square thread. Like a deck brush, or paint roller extension. There are a few different ways to combat these working loose. For a non permanent connection, white ptfe tape works ok. If I really have an issue with it coming loose, i will just shoot a couple self-tapping screws into it.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 05:31:58 AM by Davethorik »

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #274 on: May 14, 2020, 03:26:11 PM »
Here's my latest toy. 2nd picture is relative compression on my 4 cyl 4runner. Yellow trace is current and blue battery voltage.

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #275 on: May 14, 2020, 05:36:47 PM »
Got this from a coworker today:

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #276 on: May 16, 2020, 12:46:02 PM »
Milwaukee mag drill of 'da bay.

80 lbs. Came floating in a box of fricken peanuts. :38: Somehow made it all the way across the country without falling out.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #277 on: May 16, 2020, 03:25:09 PM »
Nice mag drill and you are lucky it arrived in one piece as that was a heck of a packing job.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #278 on: May 16, 2020, 06:17:17 PM »
Nice drill -- expensive little buggers though.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #279 on: May 17, 2020, 11:13:59 AM »
Mag drill, I get asked for them a couple of times a month.  Have only ever had one and it was broke :38:

Great tool, congrats on the purchase

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #280 on: May 17, 2020, 12:07:56 PM »
I've chased a couple on craigslist, but never been able to seal the deal, as well as a couple I kick myself for not buying. I'm not surprised you don't get them in Phil. Even junkers and no-names bring big money at auctions. The Hougen and Jancy are really popular these days, but they don't have a good drill chuck option IMO. They work best with rotobroaches only.

This was mostly an impulse purchase. I threw a bid out there, and there was only one other guy playing. It was under $5 bills delivered. It's kind of beat up, but serviceable. A selection of rotobroches is the expensive part. They are over $100 ea when you get above 1".

It has the two features that make or break a model for me (and most other guys). The red upper section floats around on the magnet for fine positioning after the magnet is turned on. The drill has a two speed gearbox for low speed tapping or running big rotobroaches.

They kind of suck to use. They're heavy as hell and obnoxious loud, but boy howdy do they beat trying to drill freehand.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #281 on: May 17, 2020, 01:52:41 PM »
The Hougen and Jancy are really popular these days, but they don't have a good drill chuck option IMO. They work best with rotobroaches only.

Yeah the rotabroach chuck adapters are crap. And the short travel on rotabroach machines also limits what you can do with a chuck installed.

A selection of rotobroches is the expensive part. They are over $100 ea when you get above 1".

Holesaws are a much cheaper option for occasional holes in plate up to an inch or so thick. The big Milwaukee mag drills run them well.

Online skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #282 on: May 17, 2020, 03:09:34 PM »
Nice score.. I love mine even it is a cheaper evolution..I started with a cheaper set of evolution  broaches and then added in used ones to fill in the blanks. I have a source. Pm me if interested.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #283 on: May 17, 2020, 05:18:57 PM »
13-3/4"  1/4" rachet. Should make reaching the bolts on engine fans alot easier.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Geez, that's a long 14"er, Tim.  :-\   

Then again people have been using 6 foot long cheater bars on everything so MATCO probably said lets just make it!  And locking flex head at that. :bravo_2:

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #284 on: May 17, 2020, 09:56:52 PM »
I hit an estate sale on Saturday of an old model A restorer and electrician. Not too much of interest, but I did see this box there

Who can resist 25 cents an item? I can't, and with a bit of digging, I had found a couple things. But, I got to thinking, so I asked "how much for the whole box?" It must have weighed 10 pounds or more, but he said "hows $10 sound?" So, I paid him and he told me to throw anything else in I wanted. Well, here is what I found:

Dozens of brace bits, APEX and Zepher bits, Glass cutters, Misc. tools, Jacobs keys, a Tri-tap, nail sets, counter sinks, Unibits and reamers, steel hole saws, vintage sockets (Williams and Hinsdale among them) a slide rule and a magnifier, screw and bolt setters (including APEX slotted setters) Burrs, a couple dozen chisels and punches (Blue Point, Plomb, Proto, Craftsman, among others) among a bunch of other stuff. I think I did pretty good on that purchase. A lot of it will go to the Restore, but plenty for me. Oh, he also tossed in an old analog amp clamp/AC meter. Good backup to keep in the truck.