Author Topic: Post all of your latest tool buys here  (Read 183922 times)

Offline john k

Re: Post all of your latest tool buys here
« Reply #1125 on: June 14, 2023, 02:33:41 PM »
Quick stop at a Habitat, was looking for a screen door.  None the right size, so naturally we looked around.  I found these in the bottom of a tub of tools.   The green handle is spin-kit,  with 4 NEW S-K 1/4 sockets.  1/4 inch, 5/16, 3/8, & 7/16, showing zero wear or dirt.  Big S-K stamp looks mostly worn off.  Thought $3 was right?    Pliers are thin jaw, Crescent  Tool,  soome wear but for a dollar?   And the Pennys wrench for the same sounded good.   Never seen a spin kit before.   Anyone here grab them as well?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 02:57:28 PM by john k »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1126 on: June 14, 2023, 09:33:10 PM »
Not familiar with the spinkit either but i would of picked it up too.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1127 on: June 15, 2023, 08:06:13 AM »
It kinda looks familiar to me, maybe I've seen one on an estate sale table over the years. But I was already so invested in the EASYDRIVER ball and other 1/4" stuff I didn't think it grab worthy.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1128 on: June 15, 2023, 07:55:56 PM »
I feel like I've seen that S-K before, something about the extra long handle seems very familiar.
I'm mostly likely remembering something else though.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1129 on: June 16, 2023, 07:52:09 PM »
Don't think I have seen the spin kit but has to be handy with those sizes!!! :clap:  Hose clamps, 1/4 20 nuts and many things around the house. I am digging it.  Would be cool with 8, 10, 12 and 13 mm too.  Metric version

Wasn't excited about the pliers till you said thin jaw.  Very handy when you need it. 

Offline muddy

« Reply #1130 on: June 16, 2023, 09:34:41 PM »
Grabbed this for the home toolbox. I still cringe at the thought of using harbor freight tools. Guess I'll get over it one day.

Pittsburgh has definitely upped their quality. Would i rely on them for a paycheck....no. Just can't justify higher dollar for weekend wrenching at this point in life. Maybe a bigger garage and more toys will justify it :))

Wish I had more time to go around to sales and flea markets to pick up some good old USA tools. Pricing on ebay is a little high plus shipping sometimes makes it not worth it.

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1131 on: June 17, 2023, 09:44:05 AM »
Grabbed this for the home toolbox. I still cringe at the thought of using harbor freight tools. Guess I'll get over it one day.

Pittsburgh has definitely upped their quality. Would i rely on them for a paycheck....no. Just can't justify higher dollar for weekend wrenching at this point in life. Maybe a bigger garage and more toys will justify it :))

Wish I had more time to go around to sales and flea markets to pick up some good old USA tools. Pricing on ebay is a little high plus shipping sometimes makes it not worth it.

I picked up a pair of the last generation HF composite ratchets right before they changed the design. Figured for $8 and $10 a piece I couldn't go wrong. Put them in the rotation, and then grabbed the 3/8" to do a job. It fit so comfortably in the hand and flipped around so easily I forgot I was using an HF ratchet. After I finished the job I realized it, and was just so impressed how easily it slipped past my familiarity of the S-K roundhead.
I also like the fact that it gives some electrical protection, and impact damage reduction in an engine bay if you accidently bump it up against a moving part. I like 'em!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1132 on: June 17, 2023, 10:11:51 AM »
I'll still do what it takes to get American made tools, but a lot of people who don't care about COO ( I wish everybody did, but I get it ) use the HF tools daily without failure.
I'm generally not going to buy Taiwanese hand tools and have no problem speaking my mind about them, but most of that is just about the American companies who choose to outsource instead of supporting us more.
The tools themselves are fine and Taiwan has the technology to put out some great tools at an affordable cost.
I'm not going to hate on anybody who buys them, especially if they're buying them as beaters...etc.
I mostly don't buy them, but it has nothing to do with the quality and I would trust them if I had to.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #1133 on: June 17, 2023, 10:22:27 PM »
I'll still do what it takes to get American made tools, but a lot of people who don't care about COO ( I wish everybody did, but I get it ) use the HF tools daily without failure.
I'm generally not going to buy Taiwanese hand tools and have no problem speaking my mind about them, but most of that is just about the American companies who choose to outsource instead of supporting us more.
The tools themselves are fine and Taiwan has the technology to put out some great tools at an affordable cost.
I'm not going to hate on anybody who buys them, especially if they're buying them as beaters...etc.
I mostly don't buy them, but it has nothing to do with the quality and I would trust them if I had to.
I'll take Taiwan made over Chinese every day.

Offline muddy

« Reply #1134 on: June 17, 2023, 10:22:49 PM »
Got a set of vintage nut drivers off eBay

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1135 on: June 29, 2023, 01:10:18 PM »

The quality of this Irega made #804 adjustable is very good and it feels good in hand , but I still don't like it as much as my trusty old MAC aw4.
For the same size, my MAC still has a slightly larger jaw capacity.

It seems to be a fine tool and I don't hate it, but my MAC aw4 is still king.
If I could find another just like it I would but it but they changed over the years and I'm not sure how old it is.
I carry it in my pocket everyday and would hate to loose it because it's been with me for 10 years.
Maybe I'll have to eventually switch it for this Channellock if I get too worried about loose my AW4.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #1136 on: June 30, 2023, 09:45:26 PM »
Picked up a set of Craftsman VV combo wrenches to hang on the peg board above my workbench in the basement. Also a Electro Lite wrench to make it a 3/8-3/4 set.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1137 on: July 01, 2023, 08:59:29 AM »
Picked up a set of Craftsman VV combo wrenches to hang on the peg board above my workbench in the basement. Also a Electro Lite wrench to make it a 3/8-3/4 set.

Very nice! Those wrenches are classics and I still love to use them. Over the years I’ve purchased better quality wrenches, but for overall value, you can’t beat the vintage Craftsman stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1138 on: July 17, 2023, 05:31:55 PM »
I was buying a window AC at lowes and they had these cool mini toolboxes for $20.

I'll either sort my pocket knives in it or use it for my Chapman set or something.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #1139 on: July 17, 2023, 09:52:55 PM »
It's like I don't pay attention at Lowe's. Or maybe my Lowe's never has the deals...