Author Topic: Ultra Grip Parts Tray  (Read 1506 times)

Offline muddy

Ultra Grip Parts Tray
« on: April 06, 2022, 07:47:36 PM »
Was in HF a while ago when I saw they had these. I have been eyeing up these from another company (Grypmat). However was afraid to buy one as they wanted $30 for theirs. (Now I see they offer a little different one for a bit cheaper.)
Grypmat used to be USA made (or so I thought) but no longer are. So I grabbed the medium to give it a shot for $20.

After using it at work for about a month. Here's my thoughts, it's a nice place for a catch all for tools. However unless the surface is clean and/or painted it doesn't grip very well. Maybe the name brand one grabs better, but the HF one doesn't impress me.

HF

https://www.harborfreight.com/medium-ultra-grip-flexible-parts-tray-58263.html

Grypmat

https://www.grypmat.com/collections/pro

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline bonneyman

Re: Ultra Grip Parts Tray
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 10:08:25 PM »
Looks nice but if it doesn't grip a dirty surface what good is it?
I've tried other silicone rubber products and have not been impressed. Oven gloves are only so-so. And an ice cube tray that promised easy release of frozen cubes didn't work right at all.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2022, 06:46:40 AM »
In a hobby shop it may do well enough, but in a pro environment like Tim's, that grippy silicone surface gets gunked up in to time. Thanks for the review Tim.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2022, 07:14:17 AM »
i have looked at the hf versions several times. in the end, they seem too expensive.

hf too expensive you say?  there are several no name 3 pc nesting sets available from amazon, ebay and other online sources for about the same money as the individual one from hf that are only available as singles and not a set.

if they don't work that well, like you say, maybe i should avoid them altogether.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2022, 11:22:09 AM »
I’ve used the little magnetic bowls in the past for small items. But so many things now have plastic cowlings that it’s almost useless on newer stuff. I would think this is about the same. Hard to find a magnetic surface on these new rides.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2022, 11:45:55 AM »
I usually just use the yellow plastic easy sorter trays for whatever I'm working on.
If it's not small stuff that is, then I use the magnetic Craftsman silicone parts trays I got from the GGSS this year.

I could go for something like that.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2022, 11:54:31 AM »
ps. no professional would use those v-cut wrenches on the job. feel free to pass them along to me for proper disposal.  ;)
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline muddy

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2022, 07:37:34 PM »
ps. no professional would use those v-cut wrenches on the job. feel free to pass them along to me for proper disposal.  ;)
:)) I almost had a panic attack when I lost my 13mm for a few days the other week! Gotta have me them bonney made v cuts!

Offline muddy

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2022, 07:40:18 PM »
The fella that originally came out with these was an aircraft mechanic. I could see them working in that environment or even automotive maybe.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2022, 12:59:06 PM »
I'm more of a magnetic tray kinda guy .
HF even gives out little ones if you time your visit right.
Rich