General Category > GENERAL DISCUSSION TO INCLUDE OFF TOPIC

Acronyms and other memory prickers

(1/8) > >>

bonneyman:
Let's start a thread for all the interesting and ingenious phrases and tricks we use to prompt our memories of important facts. Perhaps if we get enough helpful ones we can make a stickie?

For instance, how do I recall the angles to use in trigonometric calculations? I learned  "Same old horse came a hopping through our alley". Sine is the opposite angle over the hypotenuse, Cosine is the adjacent over the hypotenuse, and Tangent is the opposite over the adjacent.

Watching a video on caves, I recalled how I remember the difference between stalagmites and stalactites.
Stalagmites (with a G) Grow upwards from the Ground. Stalactites (with a C) Cling to the Ceiling.

I'll post more as they come to me.

wantedabiggergarage:
Tites were at the top of the cave and mites were in the muck was how I learned.

goodfellow:
Here's one for the welders to remember Straight or Reverse polarity (with regard to electrodes and ground) using both houses of congress as a memory jogger

Senate = SEN = Straight Polarity Electrode Negative

House of Representatives = REP = Reverse Polarity Electrode Positive

Hence TIG welding is usually SEN, while stick welding is usually REP   -- MIG can be both depending on what wire you use.

coolmercury:
Rightie tightie lefty loosey!  My wife is a lefty and over time I have to tighten all the knobs on the kitchen cabinets.

Rural53:

--- Quote from: wantedabiggergarage on July 16, 2022, 08:08:31 PM ---Tites were at the top of the cave and mites were in the muck was how I learned.

--- End quote ---

I simplify it even more, StalacTite. T as in "from the top of the cave".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version