Author Topic: Think this going to far?  (Read 4770 times)

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
Think this going to far?
« on: January 04, 2019, 07:11:01 AM »
I'll nickname it the machinist Iphone, as the Iphone, over stuff with features. This thing is down the same path.

I looked into my crystal ball (mine an 8 ball, turn upside down for the answer). I see internet and snap chat for its future. Hell why not streaming netflix .

Micro electronic has a place, but for this?

Anyway though this was as lame as the driver-less car,

LOL
Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline Matt_T

Re: Think this going to far?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 10:44:46 AM »
Digital calipers have been available with wired datat outputs for decades. For applications that need said output going wireless should be an improvement if it doesn't kill battery life.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 10:49:30 AM »
I'll stick with the old Craftsman dial and vernier versions. Damn things will probably go through batteries three times as fast as the current crop of digital calipers. Every time I picked up my digital calipers, they were dead - replacing batteries became a chore. Back to the dial and verniers I went.

Guess I'm too old to get on the wireless digital bandwagon -- LOL

Offline hofferwood

• It's all good
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 11:08:59 AM »
This digital needs no batteries.  :)

If it aint broke----fix it till it is-----there's nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 06:25:51 PM »
I'm thinking if the QC protocal requires a digital trail it may require a bit more accuracy than a $90 caliper.  ;D

For the record I have a dial caliper and a dead battery unit. guess which one works all the time.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 07:59:44 PM »
Damn things will probably go through batteries three times as fast as the current crop of digital calipers.

1/3 the battery life would be worth it to folks who need the capability. Which is probably dropping from 3 years to a year. This ain't chinese garbage where the battery life will drop from a couple weeks down to a few days ::)

I'm thinking if the QC protocal requires a digital trail it may require a bit more accuracy than a $90 caliper.  ;D

Depends on part tolerance. Decent digital calipers are good enough for a lot of QC purposes which is why they're available with SPC outputs.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 09:05:20 PM »
Wireless and battery life, no doubt that will be a hurtle. 

"Digital calipers have been available with wired datat outputs for decades."
 That is storage held, network sync requires constant updating, that's not going to help with battery life.

You guys talking about low battery life, by chance are the batteries used about the size or a little larger then a lead pencil is round. If yes those are not so great.

The caliper and mic i have, have what is known as a coin battery. Found in a remote garage door opener .

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!