Author Topic: Homemade socket adapter  (Read 2488 times)

Offline bonneyman

Homemade socket adapter
« on: August 23, 2019, 11:15:27 PM »
Picked up a well-used hex to square adapter at the pawn shop. Decided I'd modify it so it wouldn't just push on thru the wrench.
Drilled and tapped a hole in it and then attached a countersunk fender washer. It looks like it was originally a 9/16" hex, but is so worn it just slides into a 14mm hex. So now I can use 3/8" drive sockets with a Gear Wrench, ratcheting DB wrench, or reefer wrench depending on the need. Total cost: $1

Offline bonneyman

Re: Homemade socket adapter
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 11:16:32 PM »
I really like these hex to square adapters. They keep following me home.

Just make Gear wrenches and the like just so darn versatile!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 12:39:35 AM »
I really like these hex to square adapters. They keep following me home.

Just make Gear wrenches and the like just so darn versatile!
They look really handy.
I don't have any ratcheting wrenches , but if I ever do I'll think about something like this.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 01:42:22 AM »
They are quite handy. You don't need a ratcheting wrench although in most cases it would be preferred. I have used the 1/4 drive with a regular wrench in some pretty confined spaces - sometimes that's just all the room you have.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 11:03:24 AM »
That's a good idea.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 03:59:50 PM »
I was just wondering one day about an adapter that could be made that would fit a whole bunch of different drive tools, because not everybody carries Gear Wrenches like I do. So, if you had an old Craftsman ratchet DBE, or a vintage Dunlap, or a reefer wrench - or as Steve said a zero offset box wrench - this adapter would let any of those mechanics use a socket if the job required. Heck I'd even sacrifice a set of metric Craftsman sockets and cut them down as short as possible for those super tight jobs.

Just how my mind works. Sometimes the ideas don't pan out, but sometimes they do!   :)