Author Topic: Post all of your latest tool buys here  (Read 183350 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Post all of your latest tool buys here
« Reply #555 on: March 14, 2021, 09:49:46 PM »
New Fuller 50m tape, because my last one grew legs.

Rapid staple gun, made in Sweden. To replace my 40 year + old one that fell apart at the last event we were setting up for. The tape was cheap, the staple gun, not so much (NZ$84, US$60).
Interesting,  that Stapler looks generally similar to a classic ARROW.
For the money I would assume it's gotta be nicer though, I'll bet it's probably a great tool.
The classic ARROW stapler is reliable and everything,  but not so refined and really hard on the hands to operate for long periods.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Rural53

« Reply #556 on: March 14, 2021, 10:25:23 PM »
Just to show how much more we pay for some tools in NZ, this is available on Amazon of around the US$30 price range. This one has three 'power' settings depending on who big a staple or how hard a material you are driving. It is nice to use and not too hard on the hands. It is better than my father's original 1950's Rapid that had an exposed plunger with a knob on it, that if you weren't careful you could catch the web of skin between your thumb and first finger under, very painful!!

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #557 on: March 15, 2021, 02:46:37 PM »
It's crazy how much we take low prices (on everything) for granted in the US. It may or may not bite us in the arse someday. For now, I'll just keep enjoying it.  :dance:

As for tool buys, here's my new (used) bench mount battery cable crimper. It'll do 8 awg to 4/0-250 kcmil. Battery cable projects keep finding their way to me, and the other crimpers I have are a little awkward on bigger cable. I'll make up a pedestal mount that can clamp in the vise to mount it on.

Bought these angled end nippers of Amazon for about $14. Took a recommendation on the Tsunoda brand from another channel online. I'm impressed and plan to buy some of their other nippers. These are wicked sharp! They're German quality at slightly over chinese price.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #558 on: March 15, 2021, 03:42:49 PM »
never saw angled end nippers before.  Assuming electronic work, tight quarters?

I have fallen in love with flush cut dykes for wire ties

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #559 on: March 15, 2021, 05:00:09 PM »

Xerion cutters are awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gtermini

« Reply #560 on: March 16, 2021, 03:55:09 PM »

I got a Panduit zip tie gun last year and it changed my life. I used to be guilty of leaving those awful knife blade trimmed ends when you trim them with standard dykes. The Panduit gun tensions then perfectly flush cuts the end in one action. Makes it look like I knw what I'm doing on loom work (I don't). :hee20hee20hee:

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #561 on: March 17, 2021, 03:59:44 PM »
My 3rd Case '08 pattern half whittler, this one in CV and pocket worn grey bone.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #562 on: March 23, 2021, 05:01:42 PM »

The ryobi compact one+ brushless set came with a bag but it's too small to fit the bit sets so I bought the Craftsman bags, they could be worse.

Of course as always I had to buy a few American made tools to make up for the Chinese tools.

The Channellock #460 is for my uncle,  I also bought pepper a Kong brand tug toy which I'm glad to see was American made.

I could not find an American made sledgehammer or handles for my post hole digger, I'll have to order a Warwood from HJE and the post hole digger handles from House handle or Tennesee Hickory.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 05:03:50 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #563 on: March 23, 2021, 06:38:59 PM »
I absolutely love these!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #564 on: March 23, 2021, 08:31:22 PM »
I'm pretty fond of those little knipex myself. Damn nice pliers. :bravo_2:

Offline muddy

« Reply #565 on: March 23, 2021, 08:47:43 PM »
Picked up this precision ratcheting driver set. Pretty nice for $9

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman

Offline gtermini

« Reply #566 on: March 23, 2021, 10:51:30 PM »
Found out a fire protection supply about an hour away sells 50 lb hydro'd and filled CO2 cylinders for $110 ea (vs about $400 at the welding supply) and I was headed that direction, so a few followed me home to run dual shield. Also had a chance to catch lunch with a couple of old coworkers, so it was a good day.

Had a tool leave the property last night!  :-\

It took every bit of my willpower to overcome my Toolhoarding Sickness, but it was going to a local friend that was in need of a press with more stroke, and I had a nicer one of similar capacity. I'll have to find a bigger one to fill the new void in my life.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #567 on: March 24, 2021, 11:36:06 PM »
I'm a sucker for specialty screwdrivers.

Picked up this set of four the other day at the local electronics supply house. They've added a surplus "wing" to the building, and inventory is constantly changing. Brand is Newertech.

Found these tiny drivers, very distinctive shape and color. For such small drivers they are quite easy and comfortable to hold. And the one tip is the smallest 4 point star I've ever seen! From a web search I think they were made especially for smart phone work. Just wondering if they made more versions.
As I'm finding I have to work on more home electronics of late such tiny individual drivers would come in handy. Though the ends seem to have alot of wear on them - perhaps they are soft. But I could swap out blades if I can't find replacements.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/TOOLPNT6/

https://simplymac.sg/collections/hd-mounting/products/mbair-tool-kit-2010-to-2016
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 11:44:25 PM by bonneyman »

Offline muddy

« Reply #568 on: March 25, 2021, 07:29:21 PM »
I'm guessing the torx is an T6? Very common on electronics. That's why I had to buy the set I just did

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #569 on: March 25, 2021, 07:34:20 PM »
The CH 6gal pancake compressor was on clearance for $46 at Walmart , it's going to be loud as hell as expected but should be better than the HF pancake compressor.

And as always to offset the Chinese purchases I made some American tool purchases,  and this time I spent more on the American tools than I did on the imports.

The hickock loppers engrained themselves on my brain recently and I just had to buy them.
The fanno #8 is something i also couldn't resist,  they're made about an hor away from me in Chico California and I've always seen their booth at the annual farm show but never pulled the trigger.
Always lookin' to learn