Author Topic: Help me fix this (air handler with heat strip) - blows fuses  (Read 5100 times)

Offline oldnslo

Re: Help me fix this (air handler with heat strip) - blows fuses
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2019, 06:59:39 PM »
I see what the non-fused disconnect is now that I look it up, and I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm still seeing that the temp rise on the terminals is problematic and truly should be solved. The disconnect is just going to take that same heat, and who knows what will happen until it gets tripped.

A service call at this point might be my best option. I have spent the weekend on this when I could be burning things up with my torch.

Much appreciated guys.

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2019, 07:42:37 PM »
hold up. thinking back to my days in electrical I recall Al wires being found broken all the time. that was 12 awg but your 6 awg will be multiple strands. it stands to reason that maybe some of those strands broke in one of the wires and that's what's causing the heat up.

btw 6 Al is only rated for like 40 amps. not 60 like copper. that will cause it to run hotter as well which in turn could increase the probability of the partially broken wire theory.

just a thought

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2019, 05:59:12 PM »
Folks, its been solved. I know you stayed up late at night waiting on the next post.

James had it. It was the box (aka fuse mount). I bypassed it with the big blue 6g wire nuts, and bingo-bongo, no heat buildup with Mr Digital temp gauge. Trust me when I say, there was NOTHING to indicate that fuse box was at fault (fuse saddle pressure, resistance, ohm reading, no corrosion, etc).

I'm off to find a replacement breaker box to replace it with to get me to square one.

Thanks all!

Offline ron350

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2019, 06:38:04 PM »
Glad you got it sorted out.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2019, 06:43:38 PM »
Sometimes it takes a group effort. ;D  Glad you got it worked out